Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Stoves

Default Mini Stoves

I’m rearranging my small hunting/walking bag, and am looking for a small stove to put in it. I’m talking small stoves to boil water for coffee, soup, instant meals. I built an alcohol burner that works well, but it kind of bulky for a small carry bag. Esbit is nice, as is the small hexamine tablets and a Ti wetfire stove. I have the canteen cup and stove as an option also. The alcohol stove will always bring a full canteen cup to boil. The small Esbit , hexamine, and wetfire tabs will not. I always carry the canteen stove, just too easy to keep it together. I am leaning toward making room for the alcohol burner/fuel, and just put it under the canteen cup stove when I need to use it. This is mainly for the times when I can’t burn stuff because of it being to dry in the woods, or I just want a quick meal/drink and don’t want to mess with a fire.

Any other very small stove ideas that I am missing? This will be in one of those small French bags (With a GI canteen in it) that I posted earlier from Sportsmans. I will try and post some photos, item list of what I carry in it so y’all can get an idea of the amount of space I have/don’t have. This also sort of doubles as a mini “get home bag” for short trips to town. I would really like to keep the canteen inside the bag (like I have it now), due to the compactness this gives me.
    Last edited by aflineman; 12-04-2009 at 03:18 PM.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Did you use a windscreen for the esbit? That makes a huge difference in boil times.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Did you use a windscreen for the esbit? That makes a huge difference in boil times.
    Yes windscreen, in canteen stove, and cup covered. I even did some tests inside. I may just be expecting more from just one. They are just so nice and compact, but I don't have to room to carry a bunch.
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Aflineman - I know you said your alcohol stove was a little too bulky, but you may want to check out one that Locorogue made. For its size, it may be just what you are looking for. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ht=micro+stove
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Aflineman - I know you said your alcohol stove was a little too bulky, but you may want to check out one that Locorogue made. For its size, it may be just what you are looking for. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ht=micro+stove
    Hmm... Now I need to find some smaller cans and do some burn tests. Thanks!

Aflineman:
    I have a nice kit you should see. ( Sorry, I will not have a digital camera until Christmas). But I will be glad to post pics as soon as I can....

I use the burner (only) from the Trianga Westwind alcohol stove. I modified a candle-burning butter melter for a pot support. It is basically 3 legs with a ring on top.

The Pot is an Optimus (Swedish) .8 liter model with folding handles.
    I drink coffee and soup right from the pot.

The best part is that it all fits into the pot!
    Please remember that these stoves carry fuel for two light meals. By that I mean boil two cups of water. The mini stoves that are out there carry no fuel.

So: I have all this carried in a cook pot with folding handles. It is roughly the diameter of a 1 pound coffee can, but shorter: (5").

If you (all) like, I will post pics as soon as possible. I will be glad to answer questions, as these stoves DO have the usual pros and cons.

-Mert
    "...The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall not be Infringed."

Here is what I am trying to fit this in.
    Picture of bag packed, and it's contents. (Starting fluid bottle for size comparison).

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Last edited by aflineman; 12-07-2009 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Make the photos more reasonable sized.

Another “small” option is this little stove. Any of the fuel tabs will work. Picked this up a while back from Cheaper Than Dirt for $1.98.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It looks like I may have stumbled upon a solution. I used a combination of fuel tabs and alcohol in a shallow pan (metal lid from a Monster energy drink). This achieved a 5min boil for 2 cups of water. Now I need to see how/if this works in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Mertell
    Trianga Westwind alcohol stove
    That is one dandy little stove and pretty inexpensive, too. If you look around you can generally find the Swedish cook set on eBay or elsewhere for like $20. It comes with a Trangia stove.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That is one dandy little stove and pretty inexpensive, too. If you look around you can generally find the Swedish cook set on eBay or elsewhere for like $20. It comes with a Trangia stove.
    I actually picked mine up at the local Surplus place. $20 for 10 sets. I gave them out to some of the Scouts in our troop and kept one for me. Cookset is heavy, but the stove is what I use for my dedicated backpacking stove. Works well for how I cook on the trail. I need to build a simmer ring for mine. My kit was the only one without one. I figure that I can make something up for it.
    Last edited by aflineman; 12-07-2009 at 01:31 PM.

There are two sizes of the Trianga-style stoves out there. The genuine Trianga is a tad smaller than the surplus knock-offs that sell for less.

They both work fine, but be warned that they are NOT interchangable.

-Mert

Blog Entries

I still like my JetBoil. The fuel can and stove fit inside the pot and it will boil 2 cups of cold water in 2 minutes at sea level. One fuel can has lasted me several days using it 2 or 3 times a day.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Well, this small Altoids tin looks to be the ticket. Used some mesh and insulation to form a "bed" for the alcohol. It boils 1/2 of a canteen cup (enough for instant soup or coffee) in about 6min with about 1-1/2 ounce of fuel. It will heat a full canteen cup to a usable temperature, but not a full boil.

This next stove made from a couple of V8 cans is nice, but just a tad to large for my use. It will boil a full canteen cup in under 8 min., and keep it boiling for 2 more. Uses about 1-1/2 ounce of fuel. I may put it in the car, just because it works well and is now built. These both use the yellow bottles of "Heet" for their alcohol fuel.

Not sure if it's been mentioned or how well it would work as a stove, but you can take a roll of TP, stick in a metal coffee can, fill it with alcohol and put a lid on for storage. The medium can is a perfect fit. I don't know if they even make metal coffee cans anymore. LOL! But, It makes good heat for icefishing, doesn't spill or leak because the TP holds the alcohol in and is inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    Not sure if it's been mentioned or how well it would work as a stove, but you can take a roll of TP, stick in a metal coffee can, fill it with alcohol and put a lid on for storage. The medium can is a perfect fit. I don't know if they even make metal coffee cans anymore. LOL! But, It makes good heat for icefishing, doesn't spill or leak because the TP holds the alcohol in and is inexpensive.
    I have done that before. Worked well when I was doing guard duty, and freezing.

This is my version of the mini alcohol stove. The stove and pot stand all fit inside the pot. And the pot, extra fuel and food all fits into a nylon military bag that is about the size of a large grapefruit.

The pot stand is modified from a candle-powered butter melter designed for seafood. The pot is OPTIMUS of Sweden, size .8 Liter.

For fuel I burn painters alcohol, but many fuels work just as well.

I do not carry a wind screen: I find that my backpack suffices.

The pot is secured by two rubber bands, which are letter at preventing rattling sounds than the original mesh bag. A lexan spoon and old leather glove for pot holder round out the kit. Two small aluminum canisters carry extra fuel.

Main entree is cup-a-soup with macaroni and dehydrated veggies. During warm weather, I carry canned chicken, but in winter, I am forced to leave it out, for fear of freezing.

-Mert
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice set-up Mert.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Very nice. That Trangia is hard to beat. Just a great, tough little stove.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I wish that I could find a simmer ring for my Trangia. It is my dedicated backpack cooking stove (as opposed to the coffee stove I made), and it would be nice to simmer stuff sometimes.