Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: yo-yo reels

We had rats and pigeons bad at my old job. The pigeons learned not to roost in the shop when the owners step son started coming in at night and dispatching them with a bb gun.

The rats would stay up on the spray booth or other hard to get to spots. They would put strings on rat traps and push them back aways with a stick. The traps worked in catching rats. But, not always at killing them. The rats head would get pinched in the trap. My boss would grab the traps with the live rats and throw them into the yard for them to die in the heat or what ever.

He has a second home up north and he would leave Thursday afternoon and come back Sunday night. He threw to rats caught in the traps out in the yard just a wiggling away. So, I used a shovel to decapitate the rats and told everybody to leave the rats where they were for my boss.

When he asked who killed the rats and just threw them in the yard. I asked didn't you kill the rats? LOL

He knew and had the rats dispatched properly from that point on.

This thing looks like an unnecessary gizmo. Commercial long liners use circle hooks attached lines a mile long for Halibut. I have a Subsistence level long line. 30 hooks set about 6 feet apart, attached to a leaded line, anchored at both ends and marked with bouy. The hooks set themselves when fish turns to leave and holds better than straight J hooks. Maybe you guys can rig a miniature version for your needs.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

I personally don't trust just the hook to set itself. I know if you're out fishing for something with a boney mouth, you gotta set the hook HARD, or the fish will escape. If that thing that attatches the leader to the leaded line was spring loaded, I would be happy with it. Is it spring loaded? lol

Quote Originally Posted by flandersander View Post
    I personally don't trust just the hook to set itself. I know if you're out fishing for something with a boney mouth, you gotta set the hook HARD, or the fish will escape. If that thing that attatches the leader to the leaded line was spring loaded, I would be happy with it. Is it spring loaded? lol
    You need to know more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_hook

if i am on the same page as you i use yo yos consantly down in the south manly to catch crappie but have caught everything on them the best way to use them is hang your bait about 6 inches under water or where you can barely see the bait Also a limber limb is good a stiff one if not better the limber one acts like a fishing pole

Does anyone have any experience with this particular thing?
    Is it useful, or more trouble than it's worth?

Here's a write up from Cheaper than Dirt: (Manufacturer: Military ZWN272)
    Great survival gear. Add a hook and some bait and the Yo-Yo sets the hook and reels in the fish while you're away. Stainless steel coiled springs retract the 60# test line when the bait is taken. 12-pack of reels with nylon line. Made by Mechanical Fisher.

That is a YoYo reel. Little high on the price, though.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That's for 12 reels actually.

As I said, a little high on the price, though.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

IMO If your after fish AS's longline setup or my trotline or setline (all three pretty much the same thing) have it hands down over this yo yo thing. If your after critters with fur use a trap or a snare. Nuff said.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by flandersander View Post
    oh ic. so what happens when the squrrel stands on the bar and gets flipped off the trap? Or does that happen much?
    It happens all the time. If he flips off the bar and goes high enough we buy him drinks.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

If you have the ability to set long lines or even trot lines then that's the better method. What do you do if you don't have a boat to set those lines or check them and what do you use in the winter? YoYos can be used along the bank where folks don't have access to be able to set trot lines and a few holes in the ice will let YoYos fish while you gather wood. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If you have the ability to set long lines or even trot lines then that's the better method. What do you do if you don't have a boat to set those lines or check them and what do you use in the winter? YoYos can be used along the bank where folks don't have access to be able to set trot lines and a few holes in the ice will let YoYos fish while you gather wood. Nuff said.
    Not quite. Kites can be used to to drag long lines off shore. They can also be floated out with the tide or use electric Kontiki's. As for hard mouth species I sharpen my hooks. Even new hooks benifit from this. My photography is not the best but notice this new hook. It is only pointed on the end and round below the tip.

I first sharpen inside edge on two sides.

Then dress up the bottom edges. This increases catch rates on hard mouth species.

Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 11-21-2010 at 01:18 AM.

While the kite idea is interesting, I doubt I have the desire to run fast enough to get it airborne. Even if I did it would probably fly the wrong way. Sadly, our lake doesn't have tides. The last Kontiki I had looked like this.

but then, I'm a product of the '60s so what do I know?