Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind brake property line trees

Default Wind brake property line trees

I am looking for suggestions. The property behind my place has been purchased and cleared. I want to plant a wind brake / treeline along the back property line. A friend recommended Leeland Cypress. So far I like that idea. What other options can you guys come up with. I want something fast growing that will be low maintenance. I want a thick property line without putting up more fence. I already have a fence 30 ft. inside the line. Kudzu is not out of the question at this point so bring all ideas!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I grew up around these trees and they are not only fast growing and lo maintenance, they also look great.

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/ThujaGiant.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&u tm_campaign=BASE&utm_term={keyword}&gclid=CMO2z9-P0a8CFQTd4AodcTlOIg

Hey Mrs. B! Good to hear from you! The link doesn't work, but it looks like something like Thuja Giant. I may have seen that one in an earlier search. I'll have to try my google fu!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Hey Mrs. B! Good to hear from you! The link doesn't work, but it looks like something like Thuja Giant. I may have seen that one in an earlier search. I'll have to try my google fu!
    No need to fix the link I found 'em, similar to the Leeland cypress but may be larger. Thanks Benesse! How have you been?

http://www.thujagardens.com/GreenGiants.html

There are lots of quick growing options. Quaking Aspen, Norway Spruce, White Pine, some versions of poplar and green ash come to mind.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/ThujaGiant.htm
    (the reviews are also worth checking out)

Hi CS, thanks for asking, I've been mostly OK.
    Kinda missed y'all and the usual banter.

Sorry, B. Around here is usually unusual banter.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Leylandi cypress get very big and out of control very quickly.

Any of the poplar or willows may run on you and do not even consider them if they are within 50 feet of your septic system, drainage ditches, street drains or water lines. I've seen willow roots lift the concrete manhole cases right out of the ground.

Osage orange can make an impressive thorny hedge but again you have to keep it under control by shearing it down once in a while. I was doing some research cuz I wanted a hedge of that but I'm too close to waterways and apparently it can be incredibly invasive as the fruit float away.

Avoid russian olive and privets.

If you are looking for evergreen, the spruces and cedars work fairly well. Not sure what's native to your area.
    Or planting something edible is even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There are lots of quick growing options. Quaking Aspen, Norway Spruce, White Pine, some versions of poplar and green ash come to mind.
    Looks like the White Pine might do well in the swamp, the rest not so good. Thanks Rick!

How about a.....

Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/ThujaGiant.htm
    (the reviews are also worth checking out)

Hi CS, thanks for asking, I've been mostly OK.
    Kinda missed y'all and the usual banter.
    We, everyone chime in....miss you too! You can be sure I do, wondered how life was treating you the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Leylandi cypress get very big and out of control very quickly.

Any of the poplar or willows may run on you and do not even consider them if they are within 50 feet of your septic system, drainage ditches, street drains or water lines. I've seen willow roots lift the concrete manhole cases right out of the ground.

Osage orange can make an impressive thorny hedge but again you have to keep it under control by shearing it down once in a while. I was doing some research cuz I wanted a hedge of that but I'm too close to waterways and apparently it can be incredibly invasive as the fruit float away.

Avoid russian olive and privets.

If you are looking for evergreen, the spruces and cedars work fairly well. Not sure what's native to your area.
    Or planting something edible is even better.
    Very big and out of control is a good thing in my situation.

What's your White Pine Blister Rust situation? We have it bad up here.
    If you or anyone nearby grows gooseberries or currents, you may have a problem with white pine. And if you don't have a rust problem, once they get past the 20' mark you are going to have to do some underplanting as the lower branches die off.
    How about red cedar?

Here's a list of trees and shrubs by use
    http://www.musserforests.com/browse.asp?m=2

You might see what works in wet, is evergreen, is a screen and grows fast.
    Last edited by LowKey; 04-25-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    What's your White Pine Blister Rust situation? We have it bad up here.
    If you or anyone nearby grows gooseberries or currents, you may have a problem with white pine. And if you don't have a rust problem, once they get past the 20' mark you are going to have to do some underplanting as the lower branches die off.
    How about red cedar?

Here's a list of trees and shrubs by use
    http://www.musserforests.com/browse.asp?m=2

You might see what works in wet, is evergreen, is a screen and grows fast.
    I am in zone 8 in the swamp.

We planted some white pine around our fence rows a couple years ago, they do grow fast. Haven't been out and about to see how big they have gotten but last check they were as tall as me.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Plain old cedar trees work pretty good, and if you can find a cedar grove you can get them free!

Maybe you should check with your county. Maybe a reforesting program or something similar. Generally if there is, you can get the trees free. Or maybe a "tree hugger" group that wants to "reduce carbon footprints" etc.. Free is good
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I would recommend to things, unfortunately none of my suggestions are tree species.

1. Mix the trees with slow/big growers and fast growers. The fast growers will block the wind for you quickly, but they also die out faster. A slow grower will stay for decades. By mixing them, you get the best of both.

2. Look for native trees if you want low maintenance. I don't know your local trees, so can't recommend.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

I'd have to agree with Pal334. Check with a local expert like city arborist, county extension agent, or horticulturist. There are a number of considerations and any of them should be able to "walk" you through a checklist to arrive at a list of suitable candidates for your specific situation.

Thanks for all the advice, will let you know how it turns out.