Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ghillie Suit Ideas

The now inverted folding/flopping down of the strips give the suits an extra 3D effect, Strip work better if not all the same lenght but you get the idea, next don't lay up in the open.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Y'all know that the first Camo was really a brown barn coat with muddy black lab paw prints all over it, right?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Here's a video I found on YouTube that might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fchxu...ure=plpp_video

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Is the butt pad for when you wear it with nothing at all?..........
    I have never "tea bagged" the butt pad if that's what you're asking. I have been close though, late spring gobbler and early archery can be in the 70s-80s here. Just a set of Starters underneath on those days helps with HVAC. Ultimately the butt pad is for an old mans butt, no matter the apparel.

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    take an larger fitting set of drab green coverall as a base. Hang it up upside down, now cut some burlap strip (varing colors) as others have said 1"x12" approx. Start sewing the strips (on the coveralls) starting at the ankles, at irregular spacings all around each leg then work your way down to the neck following the same irregular spacing. Tie the suit to your dog's leash and get him to play fetch all the while draging the suit through mud and grasses. when he tires examine the suit to see if any strips have been riped off, shake dry. Works well in most enviroments and the dog likes the attention also.
    I turned away from coveralls for a few reasons. One is mentioned above, the change in weather. Another biggy is carrying a pack, if you carry a pack. I wish I could say never, but I seldom go afield without at least a day pack. If I would have used coveralls, I would have had to "dress" my pack and worry about fitment over the suit.

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    The now inverted folding/flopping down of the strips give the suits an extra 3D effect, Strip work better if not all the same lenght but you get the idea, next don't lay up in the open.
    I can see the benefits of that for concealment. But would caution using it certainly on the belly if you plan on crawling. As has been mentioned, getting caught by brush/briers/brambles will be an issue. Making it to where it will "comb" clean makes for less movement on your part and anything you come in contact with. I did not build mine to use prone, although I can, it is not optimal. Rarely do I hunt prone, and when I do I'm in a fixed position.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

They don't shed if they are built correctly,I built several while in the Marine corps and the one above is for bustin coyotes,people are alot easier to fool.Most of the people you are goin to run into in a SHTF senerio don't have the situational awareness of a stuffed animal so they go right on by.I have actually had poachers almost step on me while hunting on my own land so unless you a being hunted by a trained professional you with some practice can hide real easy.A good way to tell how good your tree togs are is to get in a field and see if the deer step on you,they are better than any person at seeing through your camo and stalking techniques.I have actually arrowed deer with my long bow from the ground with mine so I know they work.A set of fatigues cammo net and burlap is all we ever had and most of you have that around the house.Remember they are adaptable for different areas so make a few,urban,woodland,arctic,grassland wet and dry and always remember a night suit can get you real close.All in all it's personal preference in your camo and the better it is the more survivable you become,don't forget your shade and counter shade,alot of people get all camoed up to just leave there face as plane as a white cloth so always look at little
    things cause if I were to look for you the little colored bungies and keyrings and your clean shaven unpainted face or your boot soles would give you away.Also all those who guillie up and forget to build a hide blanky or a guillie for your weapon and equipement are just fooling yourself,an uncovered scope gives away those who don't pay attention.And well for the being tracked part,it's only me baiting you up so my friend can eat again.

Quote Originally Posted by wholsomback View Post
    They don't shed if they are built correctly,I built several while in the Marine corps and the one above is for bustin coyotes,people are alot easier to fool.Most of the people you are goin to run into in a SHTF senerio don't have the situational awareness of a stuffed animal so they go right on by.I have actually had poachers almost step on me while hunting on my own land so unless you a being hunted by a trained professional you with some practice can hide real easy.A good way to tell how good your tree togs are is to get in a field and see if the deer step on you,they are better than any person at seeing through your camo and stalking techniques.I have actually arrowed deer with my long bow from the ground with mine so I know they work.A set of fatigues cammo net and burlap is all we ever had and most of you have that around the house.Remember they are adaptable for different areas so make a few,urban,woodland,arctic,grassland wet and dry and always remember a night suit can get you real close.All in all it's personal preference in your camo and the better it is the more survivable you become,don't forget your shade and counter shade,alot of people get all camoed up to just leave there face as plane as a white cloth so always look at little
    things cause if I were to look for you the little colored bungies and keyrings and your clean shaven unpainted face or your boot soles would give you away.Also all those who guillie up and forget to build a hide blanky or a guillie for your weapon and equipement are just fooling yourself,an uncovered scope gives away those who don't pay attention.And well for the being tracked part,it's only me baiting you up so my friend can eat again.
    I love this thread great info to learn

wsb, good post.....
    In the case of the 3d suit the SIL wanted to make/build, DW and DD could have killed him as was a PITA......we took picks with him wearing it w/face mask, and with out....might just as well have had a flashlight, face showed up so bright......

The devil is in the details.....

I didn't strip my burlap down because the stringy look didn't blend as well on forest floor (here).
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I just thought I'd leverage off what wholsomback said regarding hands, face and weapon. Here are some pictures that really show the difference.

Not much question as to how right he is.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    It's a cape, I guess is the best way to describe it. I can wear it over anything, or nothing. It has a day pack and a butt pad.

Safety orange at will, that flap came inherent in the vest so I sowed around it.

Some extra orange ribbon when the law or circumstances make it prudent.

The left breast left bare. I shoot a bow right handed, I shoot a long gun left handed. That's nice for string clearance and shouldering.

Quick on and off.

The cockpit

The lounge chair and canopy

The canopy attachment

I'll see if I can't get Martha to shoot me profiling in it later this weekend.
    Nice Job. Exactly the kind of Ghillie creativity that GILLigan might have been looking for.
    www.threesixtyosi.com

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat82 View Post
    Nice Job. Exactly the kind of Ghillie creativity that GILLigan might have been looking for.
    It's certainly unconventional, I realize. It just seems to take care of a few of my issues. How do you guys carry essentials and possibles with a conventional suit? Cargo pockets? A pack?

+1 on dressing the weapon, face, and hands etc. Dressing a weapon is a chore, for me at least.

A rifle is not too bad, it's just that I don't leave it on year round. Thats for cleaning and storage. Rubber bands and double sided tape helps with keeping things clear of the action, optics, trigger, etc.

The bow is, well, a pain in the butt. Hanging anything from the limbs affects tuning too much. That exaggerates in wet conditions. I have reserved to only bushrag the riser/sight window area, and again doubled sided tape and rubber bands help. I have a couple of sets of gloves cut for a release to pull through the palm.

Hey guys!

Edit: Well, it wasn't spam, just an opportunity to someone to get an homemade ghillie, without too many effort.
    Last edited by Osgar; 05-11-2012 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Removed Spam

Sounds like spam............Shipping out to be a killer from Finland?

Yeah, it was. It has been edited.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome home. I think.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Well I have been off doing some woods loafing and come back and read this post. I'm gonna ramble on in and throw out my two cents.

Tree togs aren't for the faint of heart, and require a lot of work to keep em working at 100% but done right and used with care they can and will make one nearly invisible. Movement and working against things such as shadows and wind impact proper use of them. (yeh I wore one for a time back in the dark deep well hidden past.)

Speaking of light and movement, remember things like sun shades on scopes and bino's etc will help an errant glare of reflection from showing. (painful lesson I learned, the GI lensatic compass reflects light also and if you do navigation, that may need to be paid attention to.)

Some random memories, no specific order:

1. Ghilli's are hot. Not as in hot girl but as in Hot, this can be a good or bad thing depending on time of year and temps.

2. During hunting season, ghilli's look like a big old shaggy something or other. Sad as it is, there are a lot of folk that do not do well identifying a target prior to firing on it. Be Aware of this.

3. Ghilli's are location and season specific. Having attachment points for gathered natural material helps with this if you use base colors common in your area.

4. When making up the ghilli, don't make the mistake of having all the different pieces all mixed together or else it all blends into one solid mass at a distance. Think camouflage material. Some areas darker , some lighter, Greys and whites may or may not fit into the scheme depending on rocks / tree bark etc.

5. Do not use coated burlap that is shiny, you want the hairy mass to be drab.

6. The corp made them by turning inside out the base garment and then using the side without pockets for the attachment of the burlap / jute / etc and sewing on attachment points both web loops and sometimes cord. (Stuff can be kept in the inside pockets if you plan access carefully.) Some preferred aviator cover alls inside out others field utilities.

7. Coverage must be full body when prone, or all over if you plan on using it moving.

8. The shadow / 3d depth can work for or against you. Look at local shadows and foilage to get an idea how the inner areas are more in shadow and where the sun hits more lighter.

9. Consider the impact of light at different times of the day.

10 Consider any gear / rifles / bows / knifes / other items that may be used. They can snag on gear, and must also be covered to not give away your overall ghilli.

11. Hoods, and hats have been used for the head. Some of the better ones are like hoods with parts than can be pushed out of the way to allow eye or face exposure when necessary. Some even had like capes that flipped up over the back part of the rifle scope, thus covering you and the part of the weapon you expose to fire.

12. Think molasses in winter as a fast speed of movement if you truly do not plan on being noticed. Eyes catch movement faster than anything else except light / reflections.

13 Tree togs are very bulky and in many cases a means of carrying them to where you wish to deploy them has value. They also tend to weigh a lot.

I'll go back up and add any more random memories I pull out as i try to finish up my ramble.

Attaching the "garnish" is done in many ways, since you want the 3D effect I have found that attaching them pointing up causes them to bush out more but also several random directions helps avoid any pattern.

To attach garnish I have seen it Glued on using fabric glue or shoe goo. Also sewn on (very time consuming but IMHO the most control on randomizing the pattern.

Also I have seen netting attached by sewing the net to the base garment; then the strips are tied to the netting which also allows attaching natural foliage also (simple jute twine works well and is dull and blends with the burlap.)

Perhaps a mix of attachment methods would serve as the best random method blend.

Oh I just remembered, when attaching foliage it helps to have a spotter (partner) and to do each other. Much easier than laying out and doing it yourself then trying to put it on and not get all tangled up.

Footwear, well combat boots , but actually a dull set of moccasins or even tennis shoes stomped through mud holes till just basically dirt might work, depends on situation. Smooth sole shoes help avoiding being tracked, which is another part of it.

Also think of scents, all that stuff will catch and hold scents like crazy. While it has to be stuff like cigarette smoke or alcohol or gasoline or some such for typical human noses, animals can really alert on a lot of smells.

Comb out and randomize and then go where you plan on wearing it and get someone to take pictures of you and see what needs changing both in the suit / gear and in your movement etc. You might get it videoed of you stalking to see what you can improve and change in your movement and suit and use of natural lighting / terrain.

Another option is to have someone set up and then you stalk them and see how close you can get to them, with them knowing you are stalking them.

What looks like killer camo up close can blend into one blob at a distance. Kind of think how animals often have blobs of different colors, and in a size to suit the expected distance. (larger blobs for distance, smaller ones for up close. Same for shadows / reflection areas.)

If you can come up with a specific intended use, it may trigger some thoughts I have on how to get it better. All of the above is from memory of late 70's early 80's and things may have changed since then in construction and techniques.

As usual any advice I give is worth exactly what you paid for it. It will be your togs, make them to suit your wants and needs.

One last thing, I seem to remember seeing a lot of paint ball players when it first got popular making suits for that game. perhaps looking into that would be of worth.

Well good hunting.

Thad.

ETA: just remembered, packs are to tote em to the AO and then they and weapon are either in drag bags or cached. Try crawling a mile dragging a weapon and a loaded pack tied to your feet
    Last edited by Thaddius Bickerton; 05-10-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    Thaddius Bickerton

On the dragging a pack or dragbag go it "SUCKS" especially when it's hot and sunny,a real workout,make sure you are hydrated.The best way is to stash and then go.IMHO.Comes from lots of drags over my career.

IMG_0411 (2)_crop_crop.jpg

Here is how I did my 870 for turkey hunting. I made a guillie suit from an old duck decoy bag that I sewed to some overalls, a hat, and made basically a pancho out of the bag. I tied a bunch of jute, torn bdu's strips, and fake grass to fill it out. Sorry, I dont have pics for it just now. It works very well on turkeys, Ive had hens almost walk over my foot.
    Can money pay for all the days we lived awake but half asleep?"

Very nice job on the suits boys......

I did one of the home made camo jobs on an 870 once.......worked so good, I laid it down and haven't seen it since!
    Just use the factory camo job "as is'',,,,,the home made one had one of the 'wraps", an I got it caught in the slide while pumping in another round........

Actually, truth be told.... I don't like stiff hanging on my shooting iron, even take the sling off when hunting, when I get where I'm going....Yeah lost a couple of them as well.

I'm not planning on hunting people so I'm sticking with my old tree bark stuff.......LOL
    Y'all knock your socks off.....