Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watches

Cool Watches

I own a Casio WS 110-H sport watch and it slowly getting old. I bought it when I started to run and joined to an athletic team in Budapest in 2000. Because I don't want to remain without my reliable, good and precise watch I have started to read about the watches with similar functions like it has. I am sensitive to my watch, it is always with me, I like it very much. I'm just curious what are you using at the overseas? Do you prefer the digital or the analogue watches? (I know, I can do basic navigation with the analogue watches.) Do you have favourite brand?

That's what I'm talking about:

ws110h1av.jpg
    Here is short description about this watch: http://www.watchesretailer.com/ViewProducts.asp?idproduct=453056164
    Last edited by el-amigo; 01-18-2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Small grammatical corrections.
    Everybody has a different way to view the world...

I use a digital one primarily. It displays date, time, and has a stop watch. That is good enough for me. I do have a nicer analog that I wear for nicer occassions. Mostly church and special events.

Banned

I don't wear a watch... Might I ask what is the point of wearing one?

Quote Originally Posted by Zen buds View Post
    Sure! When I am in the office I like to know what's the time and the date if I am not at my PC. I use the alarm function of my watch for notifications for example about meetings. I use the stopper function when I go to run and sometimes I use it while I'm cooking. I use the countdown function in these cases as well. My watch is my personal assistant in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen buds View Post
    High tide, low tide, dawn, dusk, determining distance traveled, and direction finding.

Personally, I like analog as it's a pie chart of my daylight.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I have several Viet Nam style watches and I take one to the field with me. You have to wind it so no battery to run down.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Always wear a digital at work as I'm a foreman and it's my responsibility to keep track of things.
    In the field I wear an analog watch for direction finding and for reckoning the distance I've covered.

How can I determine the distance with an analogue clock?

An analog Timex for me. Wind up, like the old commercials say, "takes a licking and keeps on ticking". In forty years I have only needed to own 3 (including the current one on my wrist). I get others for gifts, but the all stay in the dresser drawer. It is good for field wear, construction and in a tuxedo (not pretty,but not a real concern).
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I wear a Seiko Automatic Dive Watch. Bought it in Guam 36 years ago. No winding. No batteries. It rarely comes off my wrist.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a Casio Pro Tek. I love it. It's solar recharged. It has a "low, med, high" battery gauge and I have never seen it not on high the last couple years I have owned it. It's an "ABC" watch as it has an altimeter, Barometer & compass, and air temp gauge. I use those functions to calculate air density in my long range shooting, but of course they are handy in the field.

http://www.casio-intl.com/wat/protrek/
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I have the same Seiko as Crash, bought mine at the Navy Exchange in Naples Italy 28 years ago. Rugged as a hockey puck. I sleep with it on my wrist

Quote Originally Posted by dscrick View Post
    I have the same Seiko as Crash, bought mine at the Navy Exchange in Naples Italy 28 years ago. Rugged as a hockey puck. I sleep with it on my wrist
    Mine was Navy Exchange in Guam. Honestly - the only time it has been off my wrist has been working on high voltage and going in for surgery.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Timex "Indigo", wear one, one in travel bag as well as the old wind-up Timex, in travel bag.

Like the light feature for those late nite "nature calls" and can see the hand position with out glasses.
    Leather or nylon band...left over from working in electrical panels...no metal bands there.

About $20 bucks...most anywhere.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    I have a Casio Pro Tek. I love it. It's solar recharged. It has a "low, med, high" battery gauge and I have never seen it not on high the last couple years I have owned it. It's an "ABC" watch as it has an altimeter, Barometer & compass, and air temp gauge. I use those functions to calculate air density in my long range shooting, but of course they are handy in the field.

http://www.casio-intl.com/wat/protrek/
    Wow this Pro Trek watch made me very curious. I have to look it up at Google. I like it for the first view.

I can judge distance covered with a digital watch too. If I've hiked for 1 hour I have covered about 2.5 miles. It's a guess but usually close.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Old school here. Dials with hands please.

I wear a Rolex knock-off automatic my step-son brought back to me as a present from the Bagdad Bazar back in '07. I expected it to last a week and it has been going for 5 years.

When camping I do like to wear the Indiglo like Hunter uses, and for the same reasons, but I like the metal bands.

I tried one of the complicated and capable digital watches for a while and after I lost the 200 page instruction book I could no longer reset the time, much less the other 50 functions I never used.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I tried one of the complicated and capable digital watches for a while and after I lost the 200 page instruction book I could no longer reset the time, much less the other 50 functions I never used.
    LOL, I hear ya....

I have a cool Timex Digital, alarm, stop watch, thermometer, even a little compass on the band that works, light and tells time as well.
    Darn thing keep switching over to Mil time.....jewelry store guy couldn't get it right till he called this young guy whose was working in the back....got in in a heart beat.

So I asked, How did you do that?.....he says "I don't really know, just kept pushing buttons"....Like thanks, don't quit i'll be back when it screws up again....LOL
    Is cool though, carry it around in my go bag.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Solar powered Citizens anolog. "No hands" luminus dial is important and this one is the best I have seen. Water proof is also a must. Never take it off.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Good to read that I am not the only one who sleep with his watch! I never take it off. I have checked the Pro Trek series in Hungary but they are too expensive here. I have found watches only with digital compass.