Thread: Water Purification Pill Keeper

Default Water Purification Pill Keeper

On my last outing I managed to lose a bottle of water purification pills out of my canteen pouch. That could have been a disaster since my water filter plugged up. Fortunately I had a second bottle so things worked out but I don't want that to happen again.

Since the pouch on a canteen cover is held in place with Velcro it's fairly easy for a snag to open it and once open you lose what's inside. Those of you with good hearing might hear the zzziip when it opens but I can't so gone is just gone. So that doesn't happen again I made a very simple keeper for the bottle. Now, even if the pouch opens I shouldn't loose the bottle.

The Potable Aqua bottle has a lip around the top so I tied a loop in a piece of cordage and slipped it around the bottle's neck.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I then snugged the loop down to firmly hold the bottle.

I attached the other end to the Alice clip on the canteen cover

And stuck the excess cordage into the pouch so it doesn't get snagged on something

There is enough length to the cordage to allow me access to the pills inside. This should work whether you use your canteen on a pistol belt or on your pack as I do.

I repeatedly dropped the open bottle to see if the cordage would prevent spilling the pills and had mixed results. I admit I was pretty rough in the test. On average I lost about 3 pills before the bottle righted itself at the end of the cord. If it just slipped out of your hands I think it would save you some lost pills as opposed to dropping on the ground.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick is so creative. Thank you for the good idea!
    Everybody has a different way to view the world...

Great idea.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a bottle of water purification pills and it has a lid on it, and I keep it in accessible zippered pouch on the back of my backpack. But remmeber here art work I cant see the pictures that are posted because they are blocked.
    So i'll say, great job Rick, you are a wilderness genius

You can't see the pictures? Images are turned on in your profile. What do you see in place of the images?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

In the army, we call that a dummy cord. In Basic, they made us tie everything to our web gear. The compass is the first thing you tie to your web gear. Then you tie all the pouches as well. The metal clips on your canteen cover can come off, so we would tie the canteen cover to the belt. In the desert, I did the same thing, but used zip ties.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Little red x's!

FM - My main field compass is tied to my pack. That's sort of where I came up with the idea I guess. For a long time I didn't understand the need or usefulness of the cord on idiot mittens. All it takes is one hand to get cold from a lost mitten or to spend an hour trying to figure out where you laid them down to realize how important that little cord is.

WT - What browser are you using? You should be able to see the pics with no problem.

Good idea, lot to be said for tying your gear on......
    Was that the reason for that little pouch?....I use them for that purpose as well.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I found a neat little pill container from GAUGEMATE.COM that has a screw top and a light caribiner clip that you can use to attach to a zipper pull or other fastening point.It comes in two sizes; that of a 12 ga shot shell or a 28 ga shot shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor View Post
    I found a neat little pill container from GAUGEMATE.COM that has a screw top and a light caribiner clip that you can use to attach to a zipper pull or other fastening point.It comes in two sizes; that of a 12 ga shot shell or a 28 ga shot shell.
    This it?:
    Pretty cool, thanks.

http://gaugemate.com/purchase/new/pr...tyled-pill-fob

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Yes hunter63, that is what I was refering to. I have ordered two but havn't received them yet. I think I will use one for emergency meds like asprin for a heart attack or stroke or diabetic sugar pills.

I carry a brass match box in my pocket, with asprins, HBP meds and Tums.

Like this one.....

http://www.sunnysports.com/prod/CLNM...FYi6KgodXAQF4Q

I carry all of my meds in a brass match box as well, I'm definitely going to start tying it onto my gear though. Great idea Rick.