Thread: How Do I set this Trap......???

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default How Do I set this Trap......???

BRIDGER No. 9 Brawn Trap.......

I've never trapped wolf but if they are anything like a coyote, they are very clever. I would go with a blind set or a dirt hole.

I was thinking maybe you meant how to set the trap physically. I don't own a no 9 brawn but I would set it like any large double long spring. Put the trap between my feet on solid ground. The dog would be flipped back. I would step on the springs with my feet. Maybe even have to grab the jaws and pull up. Once the springs are down, flatten the jaws out. scootch the feet inewards untill the feet are on top of the springs and the edge of the jaws. Then flip the dog over the jaw and stick a finger under the jaw and push up on the pan and engage the dog in the pan notch. ease up on one of the springs to put tension on the dog via the jaw. Once pan tensian is maintained scootch the feet back off. This is the way I set a large double spring, should work with that trap too.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I've never trapped wolf but if they are anything like a coyote, they are very clever. I would go with a blind set or a dirt hole.
    NO....The trap is huge, it took two men 200+ pounds each, one on each side to set it in the store. This thing is about 8 pounds, with 4 springs.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I was thinking maybe you meant how to set the trap physically. I don't own a no 9 brawn but I would set it like any large double long spring. Put the trap between my feet on solid ground. The dog would be flipped back. I would step on the springs with my feet. Maybe even have to grab the jaws and pull up. Once the springs are down, flatten the jaws out. scootch the feet inewards untill the feet are on top of the springs and the edge of the jaws. Then flip the dog over the jaw and stick a finger under the jaw and push up on the pan and engage the dog in the pan notch. ease up on one of the springs to put tension on the dog via the jaw. Once pan tensian is maintained scootch the feet back off. This is the way I set a large double spring, should work with that trap too.
    There is no DOG the pan sets off the jaws.

I guess it falls into a novelty, the trap that can't be set. not much good

Banned
    Blog Entries

I would take a couple pieces of pipe and flatten the ends. Slip the ends over the springs and lever it down.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I would take a couple pieces of pipe and flatten the ends. Slip the ends over the springs and lever it down.
    Very, Very Good Idea. Thanks................Rep point sent.

thanks, impressing a old sourdough is no simple feat.

randyt's idea should work. However I understand there is a factory built setting tool for this trap. Might check with some of the wolf trapping supply sites on line or in your case locally. Either way it's for sure a trap that you want to be careful with.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

I was thinking about this today. A cradle of sorts could be made for the trap to sit in, it would need to keep the trap from moving around. Then there could be a hinged frame of sorts with bars that lines up with the traps springs. Place the trap in the cradle and hinge the frame over untill the bars where on top of the springs. If the bars where long enough to have good leverage push the springs down and push the pan up.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well, I bought it as a survival trap, I will not be trapping wolves. I bought it for black bear for food in a SHTF enviroment.

how big of bear will it hold?

here's another option. I've not used these traps but if they have good reviews, they are lighter and easy to set.

http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Frem...ear+Foot+Snare

to set it right you use large c clamps to depress the springs then set trap in ground the set your dog and pan.Then without getting caught release the c clamps and put on pan cover then sift dry soil over to cover.Remember not to set it where people or cattle walk.

how do you mean set it, are you meaning how to configure the set for a wolf for example. sorry for this add on i did not read past the add i thought there were no replys.
    Last edited by northernbc; 05-22-2012 at 07:20 PM.