Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: AR Usage

I think I would want easy access to both a tactical rifle and a shotgun, and a handgun. I don't own a rifle currently, being as I live in the city, but as soon as I move or sooner it is on my list.

I wouldn't try clearing my house though. All the bedrooms are up stairs, secure the stairs. If I could herd all the kids into the master bathroom or something I'd do that, but that might not be realistic in the middle of the night.

I hope to buy a legal transferable smg one day, that would probably end up being my preference. That basically is as much as a new car though.

Im on the AR group. Its the cheapest option to cover the requirements I have. I wanted precision at long ranges, but also want high ammo captivities and a semi auto configuration. That would mean buying two guns, or getting a high-end AR. Don't get me wrong Im still getting a pistol and a shotgun but they aren't going to be a primary option more of a special purpose role.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What are you planning on doing with all that Captive ammo?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Now, now....we don't pick on you when your fingers don't cooperate with your brain.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It makes me weep each time I think about it. In case ATF is reading it was all gone. Each and every one of them. There was an RRA AR15 in the bunch, too. (sigh) Oh, and several thousand rounds of ammo. I don't think I should have loaded all that stuff in the back of the canoe with me. That might have been my mistake.
    You know any time you mix boats and beer this happens, I just can't believe the amount of quality firearms that have sunk to the bottom of the Colorado River in such an incident, sad but true!

The really bad part is I don't drink. It's stipulated in my witness protection agreement. Ooops. I probably shouldn't have mentioned that. Just forget you heard it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I can't say that we have that problem. We have a lot of LEO and they have a lot of visibility. They are usually on site in 2-3 minutes in force. I have no problem with any of our first responders. Medics and Fire are just down the street. Well, okay, when they hit that dang train horn at 2 a.m. when they zip past the house but other than that.....
    Here in the People's Republic of New Jersey, the LEOs don't believe in guns. When I went to pick up my state firearms permit the guy issuing it asked if I had any questions. I decided to make small talk and asked if he had any pistol recommendations. He replies "I don't know anything about them." so I asked "Well, what is that you're wearing?" He replies "9mm Glock." so I ask, "Do you like it?" He replies "I qualify once every 6 months, but otherwise I don't use it."

If I have a home invasion, I'm afraid to call 911. I don't want some innocent LEO to get hurt. :-)

There was a time, long, long ago in a medium sized town in Tennessee, where the Chief of Police informed his department that if he was ever taken hostage they were NOT to call out the SWAT team.

He told the dispatcher that in case of emergency she was to call the guys at the gun shop.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    What are you planning on doing with all that Captive ammo?
    You sir, get one point. I read, read, and re-read that post at least twenty times to find all the messed up grammar and stuff that one evaded me.

Some time them there spell checkers don' know what you mean.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Now, now....we don't pick on you when your fingers don't cooperate with your brain.
    SINCE WHEN??

There is no mercy in this arena. None that I have seen.

The point is that I screw up so much it is great fun to catch someone else with their fingers tangled up on occasion.

I use my AR to maintain the skills i learned on the M16 while is was in the USMC. I shoot weekly, albeit not at the ranges I was used to in the service. I keep 4 magazines full, and stockpile ammo regularly with a decent amount of flow between stockpiles to ensure round freshness.

Quote Originally Posted by studderingdave View Post
    I keep 4 magazines full, and stockpile ammo regularly with a decent amount of flow between stockpiles to ensure round freshness.
    What is the "use by" date on M16 stuff?

I'm shooting reloads I built 20 years ago, have a couple of spam cans of Russian fodder from the '70s and just finished up a batch of .303 surplus dated from the 1950s. Does M16 ammo start molding after a certain date?

60 days. All 5.56 and .223 ammo should be forwarded to me for disposal. No need to thank me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

60 days. All 5.56 and .223 ammo should be forwarded to me for disposal. No need to thank me.
    Uh oh..... THE RANGE IS HOT!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If you live in California it is 45 days and you need the proper paperwork to dispose of the ammo. So call me because I have the requisite expertise for this state. In this state for quantities of one thousand rounds or more we will even pick it up from you at no charge. There is also no charge for the paperwork or disposal fee.
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

Back in the olden days, BI, A fella used to go done to a gun shop, with an owner, and gunsmith, 3 cronies that hung out there, but didn't buy anything, .....You would ask a question, like how long can I keep ammo before it goes bad.....and" It" would start, the BS I mean......

Picture if you will, Cliff Clavin talking to Normie at Cheers........

Now that we have that picture in your head.......

Should mags be kept loaded?, and spring compressed?
    If its damp, will the shells corrode?
    Will ammo go bad if kept in a cool dry place?, Hot and wet?
    How many mags do you need? Keep the gun loaded?

These these subjects get talked about over and over, and I can't tell you what the answer is............

It just seems to me that you can have the experience in the comfort of your own home, .......
    Thankfully we have the Interweb......
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-13-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: splin'

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    It just seems to me that you can have the experience in the comfort of your own home, .......
    Thankfully we have the Interweb......
    Or using the WiFi at your local saloon.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, yeah, there is that....not my fault, ya know?......We all have to do what we have to do.....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Back in the olden days, BI, A fella used to go done to a gun shop, with an owner, and gunsmith, 3 cronies that hung out there, but didn't buy anything, .....You would ask a question, like how long can I keep ammo before it goes bad.....and" It" would start, the BS I mean......
    I strongly resemble that remark, having valliently filled all four positions at one time or another.

How think you that I have such ability to innocently stir up a hornet's nest with a single post?

I can not remember the last time I saw a querry posted that I had not seen previously and could not provide at least two pro and con references. Just pick a side, I'll take the other.

Except for the "anybody here own?" questions. I have been far too busy hanging out at the gun shop, and receintly on the internet, to make enough excess cash to OWN much of anything!

Then I moved 2 miles from the free public range and all hope for a few normal days at the end of my life was lost.