Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Reloading Bench

Default New Reloading Bench

I have been wanting to construct a new reloading bench. The one I have now is made of a steel desk as the base and I built a hutch on it. It works okay, but I really don't care for the way the hutch is layed out and the desk drawers kinda struggle under the weight.

Anyway, here is my initial plans for a new Reloading Bench. Any comments and suggestions would be great! BTW, right now I only reload shotshell, but want to have the future ability to add pistol/rifle as well.

CameraSeperation.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Go for it. There a re a lot of good plans on the net. http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html Accurate shooter .com has several plans and is the #1 hub on the net for all long guns of extreme accuracy.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I say go for it as well....remember it will be too small at some point,..... but Hey, you start some where.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Make sure you design it so it can be anchored to the wall. Otherwise a full length resize of some rifle shells will cause tipping of the whole unit.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Make sure you design it so it can be anchored to the wall. Otherwise a full length resize of some rifle shells will cause tipping of the whole unit.
    Great point Ky rat!!! For this same reason I took my old wood desk that I use apart. I reassembled it with liquid nails at every joint and used really long drywall screws for the reassembly. It's no longer "furniture grade" in appearance but she's rock solid. Great post.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Yeah real good point, and besure to Bolt down the presses, as sometime you need both down and up pressure to get the die off a case.
    My table is made from salvaged pallets, and an old book case.

Was a potting table for my garden stuff till reporposed.......its too small,,,,LOL
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

P.S. one section of the "man cave"....LOl

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I say go for it as well....remember it will be too small at some point,..... but Hey, you start some where.....
    Yeah, I was kinda thinking about that myself. I am going to keep the same depth, but strectch it out 12 feet. This will serve as a Reloading Bench, Gun Care Bench, and general work bench. The shelving area (both above and under the work area) will be divided into three 4ft sections. The first section will be general work bench area, the second section will be gun care and manuals, and the 3rd section will be reloading. All the while, I will have a 26"x144" enitire work area for whatever I am doing that day.

I plan on using a hardwood of sorts. Cedar comes to mind, but maybe oak or maple too. I also intend on using decking screws and "liquid nails" at all connections. I figure that the weight of the bunch plus all "stuff" on it would be sufficient in holding itself down. I also want to come up with a plate to mount onto the bench for the different reloaders. I can fasten the reloaders onto a piece of wood and have a "quick securing" methods for easy change out.

My only other concern is that this is going into my garage. The floor has an angle (so water and what not runs out the garage door) so building it 12' in length and having everything level is going to be the real challenge. Is there anything else I am missing?

Because of size restrictions in my shop and the fact that I use 4 different presses, I mount my presses on 2x6 boards and use C-clamps to secure them to the workbench. A clamp front and rear secures for both up and down strokes.

I suppose I could drill holes and mount bolts with wing nuts but the clamps work fine.

Because of size restrictions in my shop and the fact that I use 4 different presses, I mount my presses on 2x6 boards and use C-clamps to secure them to the workbench. A clamp front and rear secures for both up and down strokes.

I suppose I could drill holes and mount bolts with wing nuts but the clamps work fine.
    Not a bad Idea. I saw this set-up that appeals to be right now.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=0000690251

I like the fact that the "s" brackets can be removed so the base is left. I figured that it would be pretty much out of the way when I do other things.

It just occurred to me that you are just across the river from me Natertot. If you need the assistance of a feeble mind and weak body give me a yell. I doubt that I am more than an hour away.

Thing is, if you could see my shop right now you would not want me anywere near an organized operation. Looks like someone lit off a can of powder out there. Gear is everywhere.

It just occurred to me that you are just across the river from me Natertot. If you need the assistance of a feeble mind and weak body give me a yell. I doubt that I am more than an hour away.

Thing is, if you could see my shop right now you would not want me anywere near an organized operation. Looks like someone lit off a can of powder out there. Gear is everywhere.
    Thanks KRS! Right now I am in the planning process. My son is getting some medical things done and I'm trying to get my car paid off by the end of April, so money is a bit tight. My goal is to try and make this massive bench my "May Project". If I don't start planning now, I'll be completely lost when it is time.

Also, I looked up "organized operation". I found it right in between "Cinderella" and "Sleeping Beauty"! I too forget that we are just right across the river. Perhaps we should meet up one day?

So right, hunter. That "some point" is about when you start mounting your presses.

When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

The only problem I have with metal or formica reloading benchs is that they can build up a static charge.... not good around powder!
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    The only problem I have with metal or formica reloading benchs is that they can build up a static charge.... not good around powder!
    Good point, and maybe sparks?...Hadn't even thought of that...Anyway, I just prefer wood for feel and sound.
    The bench pictured above, I just recovered with two 2'X4' 3/4 plywood on top of the pallet table, and is pretty stable.

I do my melting and casting in the garage,on my work bench, loading bench is in the basement.....Man cave? heh, heh (didn't even know it was a man cave LOL)....TV, small fridge, stereo, my "stuff".

Anyway it's good to try to keep your stuff together.....but for others around (DW) the temptation of any open horizontal surface seem to be too much of a temptation, for cleaning up "their area" by moving it to "my area"...........

I did try storing a torn down mower motor on the kitchen table once....and I do mean once....I'll never do that again.

Good point, and maybe sparks?...Hadn't even thought of that...Anyway, I just prefer wood for feel and sound.........

Anyway it's good to try to keep your stuff together.....but for others around (DW) the temptation of any open horizontal surface seem to be too much of a temptation, for cleaning up "their area" by moving it to "my area"...........
    Yeah, static electricity and the possibility of spark does lead me away from metal benches. That is why I want to go with a hardwood.

I also understand the second issue. My wife has already tried talking me into letting her use it for a gift wrap station. I thought "really? Gift wrap? You are off your rocker!"

For hunter and kyratshooter, what do you guys use for a workbench top and how did you fasten it to the base? (anyone else can answer too, I just know that they have done some good bench stuff in the past!)

I am building my bench tomorrow. It will be 8ft in length and 2.5ft deep with a pegboard backing. This is going to be used for both a workbench and reloading. I thought about using a 3/4 hardwood plywood and simply screwing it to the base from the top. I just don't know if I want to have "screw holes" on the surface of the bench, but don't really know of another way without sacrificing the durability needed with the upward and downward strokes of reloading presses. I have already determined that I will mount my presses to a 2x6 and clamp them to the bench, but I do want a strong bench that will stand the test of time. Thanks for the help!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Nater - When I built my work bench I used a plywood top and screwed it to the frame. I used deck screws and made them flush with the surface of the plywood. If you don't like that then there is no reason you can't glue it to the frame. When you mount your presses, vice, etc. just use lag bolts long enough to attach to the frame underneath. I didn't care that the screws were there so that's how I did it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I would raise the bottom shelf and set it back from the front of the bench at least 6". If not, you will get tired of kicking it when you belly up to the bench. Also, use screws instead of nails. Nothing worse than a creaking bench when you are trying to get some ammo loaded up in the wee hours of the night.

I used 3/4" plywood and counter sunk screws to hold it to the frame. I put a piece of indoor outdoor carpet on top so I dont see the screw holes. If I were to build another one, I would just use a 1/2" steel plate.

One thing to keep in mind is that you want to leave enough overhand to get the first two bolts of your press or vise in front of the frame.

Rick, I have been looking at pics of benches where they did the same, I think I will follow that idea. I just want to build a good bench I can get some years out of and be happy with it. Thinking about it, what does it matter that the screws are there and how will it affect the usefullness of the bench? I don't think that it does.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

The bench I had posted is built from pallets, disassembled pieces for legs, complete pallet for top, and a 1/2 pallet for bottom shelf.....Bolted together, heavy and sturdy.
    Served as garden/potting bench.

I added 3/4 in plywood, (2 -2'X4' sheets), the bolted the presses down, except the small press I use for sizing, is just screwed down.
    Back shelf is a book case I picked up at a yard sale.

Way back when money was tight, and pallets were free....lot of stuff made from pallets.