Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get Lost! :)

We had a guy go in to hunt at Bear Island in Big Cypress in South Florida. He only went in 100 yards and could hear his buddies and trucks on Turner River Road. He fired shots with his rifle and his friends heard them and tried to find him. He was found 4 days later mumbling and near naked having lost all his gear. He was found in his underwear.

You can read it from the Southern airboat forums as it happened. http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB...=22841&start=0

You can listen to the initial 911 call here. http://media.naplesnews.com/media/st...llredacted.mp3

The blue trail is not even walkable. My SIL lost his shoe inside of 100' on that trail. I have a friend who got his Suzuki Samaria stuck for two weeks on that trail. My Dad won't go into Big Cypress because of a gator he almost stepped on on that trail. My best friend won't go there either.

Thank you. I'm homing in a specific places I won't travel to when I don't travel to Florida. Oddly, the list includes nearly every town in the state as well as most state parks.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yeah, I was lost at "gator" myself!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    We had a guy go in to hunt at Bear Island in Big Cypress in South Florida. He only went in 100 yards and could hear his buddies and trucks on Turner River Road. He fired shots with his rifle and his friends heard them and tried to find him. He was found 4 days later mumbling and near naked having lost all his gear. He was found in his underwear.

You can read it from the Southern airboat forums as it happened. http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB...=22841&start=0

You can listen to the initial 911 call here. http://media.naplesnews.com/media/st...llredacted.mp3

The blue trail is not even walkable. My SIL lost his shoe inside of 100' on that trail. I have a friend who got his Suzuki Samaria stuck for two weeks on that trail. My Dad won't go into Big Cypress because of a gator he almost stepped on on that trail. My best friend won't go there either.

Sound like ya gotta stay off them trails....."Ya can go that way if you want to....but you ain't gonna get there" (Quote> Mortimer Snerd, puppet)

Y'all gotta go with Crash,....he don't get lost and takes fantastic pic's as well.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Pfffft. His wife has the map and compass. He just tags along. If you ask him which way is any direction he points up. That's what happens when you stay under water too long.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Up is good.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So, Batch, will you go into Big Cypress?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Another way to get lost, is to depart the truck or camp drunk! Some people actually do that, and just go along not paying a bit of attention where they are going, and being drink, they dont realize they are even lost until they sober up! I know a guy that actually did that on an elk hunting trip in Colorado!

Well, there is the Darwin thing......It kinda too bad the 911 has kind slowed down the process......

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well, there is the Darwin thing......It kinda too bad the 911 has kind slowed down the process......
    Yeah but with half of them dialing 199 there is still hope.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Rodger that....still laughing at the "Up" thing....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    So, Batch, will you go into Big Cypress?
    I spend as much time as I can in Big Cypress. It is an amazing place.

I use to just hike the expansion lands. But, we started turkey hunting Bear Island and now we just go out to enjoy the area. We usually do at least 4 long 3 or 4 day weekends a year in Bear Island while running some of the adjoining trails. This is really close to the king of woods me and my brother spend several dozen weeks a year in. Big Cypress has a population of black bear and panther that are unequaled in the South East.

Banned

@ Batch

What type of calendar are you using? Several dozen weeks a year???? I need one of those.......heck I could easily shave 10 or 15 years off with room to spare!

This is really close to the kind of woods my brother and I spend several dozen weekends a year. We figured that before the economy tanked we were spending about 26 weekends a year in the woods. While we have cut back because of gas. We still spend at least 24 weeks a year in the woods. Several dozen . LOL

I don't see how some one can have a problem finding several dozen weeks in a year. I am using 12 as the base for my dozen. There are a dozen months in a year. There are 52 weeks in a year. Which is... Hell could you just tell me how your 10 to 15 years of with room to spare?

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    This is really close to the kind of woods my brother and I spend several dozen weekends a year. We figured that before the economy tanked we were spending about 26 weekends a year in the woods. While we have cut back because of gas. We still spend at least 24 weeks a year in the woods. Several dozen . LOL

I don't see how some one can have a problem finding several dozen weeks in a year. I am using 12 as the base for my dozen. There are a dozen months in a year. There are 52 weeks in a year. Which is... Hell could you just tell me how your 10 to 15 years of with room to spare?
    Wow, are you using a Myan calender, I think they used the several dozen unit of measurement too

Banned

OK, I'll bite.

If your use of the word several meant 2 or 3, you were technically correct. I personally tend to assign a slightly larger value to its use and I'll explain why and "do the math" for you.

I believe it boils down to semantics. The confusing use of the informal quantifiers: couple, few, and several. All are used to define a value of more than one. I am a numbers guy, so to reduce confusion, I use them to mean:

couple: means two and very rarely three

few: means three to five (aka a handful)

several: by default, more than five but less than "many". (I usually infer a value of 6, 7 or 8)

Now if I were to take several dozen using the median value of 7, I would arrive at the number 84. If I add to it the 4 additional weekends you spend at Bear Island it would make 88. Dividing 88 by 52 you will arrive at 1.69+. This translates into a traditional decade having no more than 5.9 BY (Batch Years). A minimal savings of some 4.1 years per decade. Since I have completed five of them now, my "savings" would amount to some 20.5+ years (I sit corrected).

Also as a side note: A leap year which starts on a Saturday will have 53 weekends.

That's fascinating insight. I could use a good definition on some other commonly used numerical terms. "Butt load", "a bunch" and the old standby "a ton" as used in amount not weight.

By the way, if you sit corrected then you should not have any back problems. Good posture should be commended.

Banned

Too funny Rick, but since I was sitting as I typed the post I couldn't truthfully claim to "stand corrected".

FYI: Some alternative definitions

butt: a volume equivalent to two hogsheads; a unit of approximately 126 gallons.

bunch: 1) often used to describe things grown in close proximity. i.e. grapes or bananas. 2) Synonymous with several with the difference of an implied higher limit.

ton: 1) 12,000 BTU/h or 3517 Watts 2) a unit of energy equal to 10^9 (thermochemical) calories, also known as a gigacalorie 3) a volumetric range of 35 to 100 cubic feet 4) 210 to 256 gallons 5) british slang for 100.

I'd like to thank the folks at Wikipedia for the resources used in constructing this post.

Well, wikepedia needs to go back to the drawing board. Consider these......

"Oh, heck yeah, we caught a butt load of fish yesterday." No gallons there. The part I find most confusing is what size butt the comparison is to. If it's a tiny little baby tushi then that's not many fish. However, if it's a two wheelbarrow load sized butt (as in have to make two trips to haul azz) then that's a LOT of fish.

I can buy into the "bunch" definition. "Oh, heck yeah, we caught a bunch of fish yesterday." You could rightly apply an analogy to things in close proximity but, alas, we still don't know how many fish were caught.

Finally, we can't use a form of energy with regard to ton. "Oh, heck yeah, we caught a ton of fish yesterday." One could assume that to be 2000 lbs. But how many fish is the question? If you caught a small whale then it's only one. However, if you caught sardines then you have a lot, i.e. a buttload, of fish.

Banned

All good points Rick. But you fail to see the obvious flaw in your counter-point. You used fishing stories in each example and anyone who has ever wetted a line should be highly skeptical of the descriptors used in such tales. Not that I'm calling anyone a liar here, but it does seem to be a common practice to embelish these stories for their intended audience.

Might I suggest the next time someone tells you they caught a "ton" of fish that you reply with, is that by weight, volume or count?