Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: saving bacon fat??????

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    So...you have dead birds all over the yard where they keeled over with heart attacks from clogged arteries? Now that's funny.

Someone help me out here. Did he just bash my beloved twinkies?!
    No his Turkey's & Chicken's are stable.... Otherwise they would weeble wabble and not fall down.....

Ok shuffles feet .... looks down ..."the birds are old, drunk and feeble... "

I apologise...for my feeble attempt at some chicken feed humor.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Ok we save bacon fat or home made fatback in small quantities in Pyrex glass dishes. Never would I use plastic - it melts into the fat.

I use very small amounts to food cooked on the stove. Except eggs - I prefer butter.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I save mine in a Mason jar but I triple filter it using common paper coffee filters. It's basically tallow and the trick to keeping it from going rancid before you hit the bottom is to filter out all the meats and impurities from what you are saving. Having a lid that seals well keeps everything out you don't want in [like air, flies, gnats, boogers, whatever].

Aside from cooking, I've used it for everything from lip balm in the winter, to seasoning cast iron, to dampening [black powder] round-ball patches.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

It will still go rancid even filtering it. It just takes a long time. I made some bacon candles that went rancid at about the 5 year mark.

Quote Originally Posted by druid View Post
    I save mine in a Mason jar but I triple filter it using common paper coffee filters. It's basically tallow and the trick to keeping it from going rancid before you hit the bottom is to filter out all the meats and impurities from what you are saving. Having a lid that seals well keeps everything out you don't want in [like air, flies, gnats, boogers, whatever].

Aside from cooking, I've used it for everything from lip balm in the winter, to seasoning cast iron, to dampening [black powder] round-ball patches.
    Yes....I know.....the implication being that it will still go rancid but not as quickly.....

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence