Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: saving bacon fat??????

Question saving bacon fat??????

ok i got this basicly from my grandma, who always kept a bowl full on the stove top i even seen her eat bacon grease sandwiches, hard to believe she lived to 92 hahahah,,, anyhow, lot of people seem to think iam a bit off saving mine in a butter tub, and in the freezer. i use it for many things while cooking, as in frying and for flavoring of different dishes such as beans ,liver and onions, and many more,
    iam not sure how long it stays good as granny keepin it out on the stove top, iam guessin a while, so ,i guess iam askin who else is in this group of grease saver? and how do yu do it??

I save it in a coffee cup, on the stove. The thing is, with me, it gets used up pretty fast. I like to use it like you do, for frying other things, flavoring other things, etc., and believe it or not (The regulars here are getting ready to be shocked.) I don't really cook that much bacon.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I do the same. I also use bacon grease with a little bees wax in my grease lamps. The bees wax stiffens the grease a bit so in the heat of the car it doesn't melt as easily. Only one drawback is that folks are always asking about the bacon at camp.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

We are not the only people that still do this!

http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Stoneware...5100315&sr=8-4

My Mom had a grease strainer on her stove top untill she no longer cooked. I grew up thinking everyone had one. If you messed up and poured sausage grease into the container she would throw the whole batch out! Bacon grease only. Southern traditioin and all that. Sometimes I cook bacon just to get the grease for another dish.

Cornbread can not be properly cooked without bacon grease. You MUST put a spoonful of grease in the batter and then drizzle a coating over the top of the mix before it goes into the oven to create the proper crust as it bakes. Fried "hoe cakes" never tase right unless fried in the bacon grease.

Reinds me of a scene from the show Big Bang Theory. Sheldon's Mom says: "The key to a man's heart is BACON GREASE. He'll die at 50 but he'll never stray."

It is one of the reasons that in the deep south 50% of the women over 65 are widows while only 17% of the men over 65 are widowers.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

bacon grease in alot of stuff,keep in a bowl on stove, cook eggsingrease

Keep ours in plastic oil container (wesson oil), strained twice thru stainless mesh colander lined with folded cheese cloth, and cooled first of course. kyratshooter nailed it with his cornbread theory. Ain't had cornbread done right till ya had it with bacon grease on top.
    In the land of Wolves and Sheep, I'll be a Sheepdog. Protect your flock.

Probably everyone on here, Shaner. I have two pint jars of bacon fat that have been sitting on my counter for close to year. I have them for making bacon candles. Only recently has the bacon fat begun to dry out. It still has no odor and has not gone rancid. I certainly wouldn't eat it but it remains viable a very long time.

I also keep bacon fat in the fridge for use in cooking. We don't use it that often so we store it in the fridge. It's a federal law or something that green beans have to be cooked with bacon fat. And I don't challenge federal law. Well, there was that moonshine charge but I digress.

Here's the key to storing bacon fat long term. You need to strain it to remove the bits of meat and gristle that are in it. I pour mine through a coffee filter and let it drain into a jar or can. The bits of meat are what will go bad. Remove that and bacon grease will last a long time.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I save bacon grease, although I do not eat much bacon. I occasionally use it for cooking as others have mentioned but the main reason I save grease (pork fat as well as bacon fat) is as bear bait. Heated up and splashed on a tree and poured over dry dog food it really attracts bears. If I was in need of pure bacon grease for cooking, I would buy a box of bacon ends and pieces, try it down, save the grease for cooking and chop and package the cooked bacon for adding to various dishes. I do that about once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor
    I save grease (pork fat as well as bacon fat) is as bear bait.
    It's a good thing you don't put that out anywhere near 2D's house. It wouldn't work out too well. I know how he likes bacon anything.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

well least iam not the only nut here hahahahah thats why i freeze mine and chip it off when needed is the lil bacon bits in it ,
    yes corn bread and green beans has a unwriten law that they contain bacon grease !!!

I think everyone that grew up in the country or rural, had different greases on the stove to recycle!
    My Mom had Bacon grease and chicken fat!
    It's the city raised folk that are appalled by saving grease.
    I used to pour bacon grease into my grits to the horror of my wife.
    Last edited by jcullen24; 04-22-2012 at 11:05 AM.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    We are not the only people that still do this!

http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Stoneware...5100315&sr=8-4

My Mom had a grease strainer on her stove top untill she no longer cooked. I grew up thinking everyone had one. If you messed up and poured sausage grease into the container she would throw the whole batch out! Bacon grease only. Southern traditioin and all that. Sometimes I cook bacon just to get the grease for another dish.

Cornbread can not be properly cooked without bacon grease. You MUST put a spoonful of grease in the batter and then drizzle a coating over the top of the mix before it goes into the oven to create the proper crust as it bakes. Fried "hoe cakes" never tase right unless fried in the bacon grease.

Reinds me of a scene from the show Big Bang Theory. Sheldon's Mom says: "The key to a man's heart is BACON GREASE. He'll die at 50 but he'll never stray."

It is one of the reasons that in the deep south 50% of the women over 65 are widows while only 17% of the men over 65 are widowers.

thats first id seen the grease saver!!!! thanks ,

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Yep in a coffee cup on the stove.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Not trying to tie two threads together, or anything, but few things work as well together in this world as a cast iron skillet and some bacon grease! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

My DD bought me one of those grease pots for my bacon grease (use a coffee can with a lid on the stove top) and it was so nice I turned it into a billy can / mucket for my woods loafing. Still using my coffee can on the stove top. I use bacon fat to cook most everything i fry.

I make a BLT sammich that I fry the bread in bacon fat to "toast" it up first.

I am trying to cut back on my pork in general cause the Dr. says it aggravates my arthritis pains. Haven't noticed much improvement since I cut back, and stopping, well if I can't enjoy life, why live?
    Thaddius Bickerton

i hear ya on bacon grease and skillets 2dumb2kwit!!

hey thaddius? may i ask u what a DD is ? i have uncle art rituis living with me daily never heard of pork irrstating the joints? no pork ? how do yu survive?? hahahah

Dear Daughter
    DW = Dear Wife
    DS = Dear Son
    DIL = Daughter In Law
    DA = Dear Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Thadius
    I am trying to cut back on my pork in general cause the Dr. says it aggravates my arthritis pains.
    Ooh. Sounds like it's time to cut back on doctors in general.

thanks rick, for the definations, i get lost in these sometimes, hahah

My Mother and her Mom used to have a can of grease on or near the stove constantly. I remember my Mother getting a set of kitchen canisters; you know, aluminum and labeled for coffee, tea, sugar, etc.. The largest one was marked "GREASE"! It was a good life.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

I cook bacon in bacon grease, it makes it taste better