Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comfrey Salve

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Default Comfrey Salve

Well I guess I need to start off by telling ya'll that some group of do gooder busybodies have decided comfrey is bad n causes cancer. (seems like everything does that now adays hun?)

Well anyway you can't , or I can't seem to find any comfrey ointment, or tea anymore in the stores I get to .
    Since I grow it , I have just been buying a salve base and mixing my own up.

I find that nothing will heal up a wound as fast as this salve, it does tend to leave a scar, but even deep bad cuts that probably needed a stitch or 10 this seals up overnight and heals super fast. Works on scrapes and all.

Heck the tea helps with sore throat and a ton of stuff.

Anyway, I still use it, but if you decide to boil the root and get the jelly kind of stuff out of it and use kind of like you would apply aloe vera.

So far it hasn't killed me, but this is one of those personal things. I do know the same things that cause fast regrowth of hurts is also kind of what they say can mess up cells into cancer, so it sort of makes sense, except people been using it forever up here in hill country and like tobbacco and white lightning etc. Some things die hard and just cause some gov't man says do or don't isn't often taken as gosple by yarb doctors.

so for what it is worth I"M dabbing some in the most recent cut I got giving blood to a piece of steel (cut myself with a old hickory I was sharpening up and playing like it was a leuku / or a mountain man knife.)

that thing cuts like a straight razor after I sharpened it up and holds a killer sharp edge.

I wish I could buy up a pile of the 1095 that ontario uses for my own use, and knew the heat treat they use. Maybe they would share it with me (the heat treat info I mean.)

Later folks, gotta change my ductape bandaid for a purdy official one and wash off some blood and clean up the mess a bit.

Thad.

P.S. Just wanted to mention the comfrey thing before it slipped my mind. some things I do are so common in my mind that if I don't remember to share them for others to think on real fast they just drift out of my old stroke addled noggen.
    T.
    Thaddius Bickerton

Actually, it's not cancer. It's a problem for the liver and that tea might just be about the worst thing you can ingest. It contains high levels of a particular alkaloid that can actually cause liver failure. The FDA banned internal use based on the liver problems it causes. Even if you use it topically you absorb it through the skin so they recommend no more than 10 days in a row and no more than a month per year.

My thoughts are this. If a plant has a known potential to cause a problem (sassafras, pokeweed, comfrey) then I avoid it. Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't but I would sure hate to be sitting across from the doctor when he slowly shakes his head and tells me the comfrey caused my liver to fail. Especially when there are alternatives to using it or any of the other potentially harmful weeds. I don't miss anything by not using them but could have a problem if I did. I don't like them odds.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I don't really have a good answer for your observation. It makes sense. Just contradicts stuff I have lived with my whole life.

Sometimes I think I am my own worst enemy.

but I will take time to read and look into what you post. Esp the sassafrass ( i love that in tea and in my root beer.) Gonna miss it if I end up giving it up.

Stuff that don't kill ya fast is easy to miss or ignore till it's to late, that is for sure.
    Thaddius Bickerton

If you overdue anything it can cause side effects.

Herbs are powerfull medicine for sure.

for years we used herbs in the whole, natural form.............

since they started seperating and condensing certain compounds/constituents from herbs and making them into pill forms, troubles from their usage never seen before are occuring.

I have used whole herbal remedies for years on myself, friends, family, pets and livestock without any problems or side effects.

I always have a 'heal All' salve on hand.made from comfrey, calendula and St. john's wort infused in extra virgin olive oil, then pressed and strained, slowly heating up about a cup of the infused oil till about 1 oz. of added organic bees wax melts.then I botttle it up in dark amber jars.

I would suggest the problems have always been there we just haven't had the ability to determine the root cause. I'm certainly not condemning all herbs or plants. Quite the contrary. It's just that a few have been identified as possibly causing problems. Fifty years ago and beyond they were illnesses that I'll bet most on here have never heard of. Today we know what they are.

Try some of these:

Biliousness: You drink that comfrey tea and you could wind up with a case of this. (Jaundice caused by liver failure)

Bad blood: (syphilis)

Eclampsy: Care to guess? (epilepsy)

Milk leg: Phlebitis

Yellowjacket: Yellow fever

Scumpox: Impetigo

Screws: Rhuematism

Those are a few I remember. We still died from oddball stuff we just didn't know what it really was. So if you drank comfrey tea and developed billiousness they might have given you more to help you get over it. Once you died then they proclaimed you died of billiousness. Can't for the life of me figure out why he didn't improve with all that comfrey tea we gave him.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well, I am keeping my comfrey plants just the same.

I have not lost a patient yet. Knock on wood..or comfrey. hahahahah

"Is he dead?"
    "I'm afraid so."
    "I thought you said you've never lost a patient."
    "Well duh! He's right there. He's not lost. Some people. Crimeny."

You is so funny!

God bless them little pygmy comedians down there in New Guinea.

Yes, God bless them one and all!

Laughing keeps the world..........sane.

That there is funny i don't care who ya are.

lol

anyhow, the nice thing is rick is just offering up his idea, it isn't like he is set on making us not use herbs, he just wants to do his best to keep someone around for his humor to play off of i think.
    Thaddius Bickerton

Uh....yeah....that's it.....what was the subject?

No one would ever not make me use herbs. No one.

as to humor..........I am one of the biggest jokesters I know.

laughter and herbs are what keeps me going.

sooooooooooooo, Rick can just bring it on and on and on and ............................. heehee

I just use Neosporin for cuts, it seems to make them heal faster and reduce scarring!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I just use Neosporin for cuts, it seems to make them heal faster and reduce scarring!
    triple antibiotic ointment is one of my main FAK items, just have other options also. If you need a wound closed in a hurry and healed, (say a cut on your hand that you write / type with) comfrey, often with a few other useful herbs will get it done faster than any other thing I know of.

Also if you take a minute to look up the ingredients in 3A ointments there is questions about them also.

My doctor jokes with me that with all the different things he can find wrong with a stroke victim the only really possible safe thing for them to ingest is distilled water and he isn't certain about that.

Which is his way of saying that something is gonna kill us all. Or as the fellow down the road that I'm friends with puts it, "life is a STD that is always fatal".
    Thaddius Bickerton

Once sliced a finger open while putting up a tin roof........grabbed some flowers off a Yarrow plant, pulverised them a bit and then placed them on the bleeding wound...stopped the bleeding instantly. I now keep dried yarrow flowers in my medicinal 'pantry'.

My dad would pour kerosene over a cut when he got one, it didn't stop the bleeding but it probably did kill most of the germs!

Science fact: if you tool all of the veins in your body, and laid them end to end, you would die

I've read that plantain is good for healing cuts also, chew it up into a poultice, apply it to the wound and then wrap it up.

You know your mouth is probably the dirtiest place on the planet? Tons of bacteria that you are transferring to the poultice then to your cut. You'd be far better off just leaving it open to the air.

http://news.stanford.edu/news/1999/d...mouth-128.html