Buying through this banner helps support the forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Glock performance......????

  1. #21
    Resident Wildman Wildthang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    I have an old worn out Glock 19, and at 30 yards, I can keep the shots inside a 12" target area. I have never shot it at 60 yards but I am sure the accuracy would suck. If I have to shoot out to 60 yards with a pistol, I will use my Colt .357 mag!


  2. #22
    Senior Member kyratshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe
    Posts
    4,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    I wouldn't say it's a tack driver but for about 300 dollars it does the job at 25 yards pretty well.
    One again, what is the definition of "pretty well"?

    Why is it so difficult for people to grasp the need for a specific reference measurement?
    One "Oh $H!T" cancels out a thousand at-a-boys.

  3. #23
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    37,135
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Here's defining my Glock 19. This was from 25 feet (not yards). My concern when I carry this weapon is personal protection from human predators so I don't normally practice (with this weapon) on anything outside 25 feet. My goal is not to drive tacks, but rather remove a threat.

    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  4. #24
    Resident Wildman Wildthang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Here's defining my Glock 19. This was from 25 feet (not yards). My concern when I carry this weapon is personal protection from human predators so I don't normally practice (with this weapon) on anything outside 25 feet. My goal is not to drive tacks, but rather remove a threat.

    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    That's some good shootin Crash. That would definately get rid of the threat as far as I'm concerned!

  5. #25
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    37,135
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    When I practice with this particular weapon most of my shooting is done at about 10 feet, not using the sights (point shooting), sometimes low light.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  6. #26
    Resident Wildman Wildthang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    When I practice with this particular weapon most of my shooting is done at about 10 feet, not using the sights (point shooting), sometimes low light.
    I also practice going from holster to firing position as well. It pays for all of that to be on auto pilot when the threat hits the fan! One thing about the Glock, it just keeps on running even when dirty.
    I have a buddy that is a professional combat shooter, and he will shoot nothing but a Glock. He says that while the 1911 guys are taking down and cleaning their guns, he's out there shooting, and thats about true. I have always thought the Glocks were ugly, but they are one of the only semi auto pistols that in my opinion are almost as dependable as a revolver.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chugach National Forest
    Posts
    9,798
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I also practice going from holster to firing position as well. It pays for all of that to be on auto pilot when the threat hits the fan! One thing about the Glock, it just keeps on running even when dirty.
    I have a buddy that is a professional combat shooter, and he will shoot nothing but a Glock. He says that while the 1911 guys are taking down and cleaning their guns, he's out there shooting, and thats about true. I have always thought the Glocks were ugly, but they are one of the only semi auto pistols that in my opinion are almost as dependable as a revolver.
    Good post......Rep sent.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 04-23-2012 at 05:41 PM.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SE Alaska
    Posts
    2,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    That is a take your time and concentrate type shooting. If you can't take your time and acquire a 12" group at 50-60yds, how the heck are you going to hit a 12" target (center mass kill zone) at 20yds when your life depends on it?!

    "Train how you fight" is the principle I use with all my gun training. 90% of my shooting is standing offhand. The other 10% is sighting in and sight verification.

    To parry your comment, how do you expect to put 2 rounds center mass in under 2 seconds if you train to take your time and concentrate?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

  9. #29
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    48,209

    Default

    Frankly, I spend time cleaning all my weapons regardless of make or model. I'm not disputing your comments on the Glock in the least but I don't want my headstone to read:

    His weapon was dirty,
    it failed to fire.
    Now here he lays
    pushing up flowers.
    Safe Zone LLC "The Most Trusted Name in Outdoor Gear". Check out our free Family Disaster Plan

    We have Pocket Guides and Emergency Water Bags

  10. #30
    Senior Member natertot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    "Train how you fight" is the principle I use with all my gun training. 90% of my shooting is standing offhand. The other 10% is sighting in and sight verification.

    To parry your comment, how do you expect to put 2 rounds center mass in under 2 seconds if you train to take your time and concentrate?
    I agree to "Train like you fight because you'll fight like you train". Center mass is a 12"x12" box. If I can teach myself to hit that box consistantly (9 out of 10 shots) at 60yds, that box seems very attainable at 20yds. I do practice at closer distances as well, mostly at 10,15, and 20 yd ranges with more rapid fire sequences, shooting off hand, behind cover, etc. Those have been improved because of my ability to hit the same thing at 60yds.

    True story. On April 6th, I had to show up for my scheduled time for dept gun quals. There were six of us, 2 with revolvers and 4 with semi-autos. Us young bucks were pickin on the old guys with their revolvers. The instructor then stated how revolvers are soo much better because they are more accurate due to the fact that semi's have a floating barrel that bounces around. I then politely asked how that compares to the trigger jerk of a revolver since they are ungodly strong as well as the reloading time since since they have 5-6shots compared 14-18shots. The instructor said that it didn't matter, a revolver will outperform a semi any day. Well, the final sequence was at 15yds, shooting 4 targets from behind cover, giving each target a doubletap twice for a total of 16 shots. I finished it in 18 seconds and each target had a 5-6" group. The revolver guys took nearly two minutes and had a spread of 18"!!!! (At that time I looked at the instructor and gave a "smart smile".) The accuracy I attribute to my 60yd practice though because it has taught me to be very consistant and methodical which, when those are applied up close, help achieve better results.
    A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders. ~Larry Elder

  11. #31
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    37,135
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    This guy might disagree with you.

    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  12. #32
    Senior Member Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SE Alaska
    Posts
    2,921

    Default

    Nater, I see what you are saying. The 60yard shots are relying on marksmanship fundamentals and that's good training.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

  13. #33
    Resident Wildman Wildthang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    Yeah most defensive shots are at less than 30 feet, but then theres that rare case that happens. I want to be able to hit reliably at the maximum range of any weapon just in case!
    That is one reason I like long range shooting, it makes the close up shots more or less effortless, unless your duckin lead from the opposite direction of course!

  14. #34
    Senior Member natertot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Yeah most defensive shots are at less than 30 feet, but then theres that rare case that happens. I want to be able to hit reliably at the maximum range of any weapon just in case!
    That is one reason I like long range shooting, it makes the close up shots more or less effortless, unless your duckin lead from the opposite direction of course!
    Zactly! !!!!!
    A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders. ~Larry Elder

  15. #35
    Senior Member Daniel Nighteyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Somewhere on Turtle Island
    Posts
    837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    One thing about the Glock, it just keeps on running even when dirty.
    I have a buddy that is a professional combat shooter, and he will shoot nothing but a Glock. He says that while the 1911 guys are taking down and cleaning their guns, he's out there shooting, and thats about true. I have always thought the Glocks were ugly, but they are one of the only semi auto pistols that in my opinion are almost as dependable as a revolver.
    I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Glocks. My only problem is, when I'm shooting them, Glocks always point too high. This has nothing to do with the pistols, but with how I use them under stress. It is true that over time I could adjust so that, with a Glock, my POA = the POI. However, since I already have a pistol that works FOR ME, why bother?

    In 9mm I prefer the SIG P226. When I bring it up to shoot, its always pointing exactly where I want the bullet(s) to go. In .45acp I prefer the 1911 family for the same reason.

    So you see, there is a LOT to be said about individual/personal differences and preferences.

    -- Nighteyess
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 05-03-2012 at 02:32 PM.

  16. #36
    Resident Wildman Wildthang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Glocks. My only problem is, when I'm shooting them, Glocks always point too high. This has nothing to do with the pistols, but with how I use them under stress. It is true that over time I could adjust so that, with a Glock, my POA = the POI. However, since I already have a pistol that works FOR ME, why bother?

    In 9mm I prefer the SIG P226. When I bring it up to shoot, its always pointing exactly where I want the bullet(s) to go. In .45acp I prefer the 1911 family for the same reason.

    So you see, there is a LOT to be said about individual/personal differences and preferences.

    -- Nighteyes
    I love the looks and feel of a 1911, and would love to have one, especially and original Springfield, but I am trying to control myself, and not buy any guns unless it is needed to truly round out my arsenal.
    But I do know that most 1911's get finicky when they get dirty, but they are truly an amazing gun in that the design has changed very little in a 100 years. And they will be a weapon of choice for many people for another 100 years into the future!

  17. #37
    Senior Member Daniel Nighteyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Somewhere on Turtle Island
    Posts
    837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I love the looks and feel of a 1911, and would love to have one, especially and original Springfield...
    Unless I'm mistaken an ORIGINAL 1911 would be a Colt. However, they have been manufactured by a lot of companies including Singer (the sewing machine company) and Rockola (the juke box company).

  18. #38
    Resident Wildman Wildthang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken an ORIGINAL 1911 would be a Colt. However, they have been manufactured by a lot of companies including Singer (the sewing machine company) and Rockola (the juke box company).
    I would have swore the originals were Springfield armory!

  19. #39
    Senior Member Daniel Nighteyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Somewhere on Turtle Island
    Posts
    837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I would have swore the originals were Springfield armory!
    Ya see? That's what ya get for swearin'...

  20. #40
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    48,209

    Default

    I just wish I had a gun.....or even a bullet.....in case ATF is reading. Nada. (shrug)
    Safe Zone LLC "The Most Trusted Name in Outdoor Gear". Check out our free Family Disaster Plan

    We have Pocket Guides and Emergency Water Bags

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •