Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small town businesses-spending close to home.

Default Small town businesses-spending close to home.

I don't know how many people make an effort to spend their money locally..I'm guessing that the mindset of most on this forum try to...your neighbors need to make a buck to stay in business.

As I related in another thread, I had unplugged my fridge for the winter at "The Place"....and turned out that it wasn't a good idea, the lines refrig lines are now steel and prone to corrosion....a leak, and failure.

So if you have a remote location make note.

I called the store that I had bought it from, they sent out a tech, (I had already figured out that the system was low, but with out a recovery machine, vacuum pump I really didn't want to tackle a repair. The tech confirmed my fears......

called the same store to purchase a replacement from them....but they were out of stock at the close location, that a new one would have to be brought in maybe today, but most likely Monday.......
    So, the sent out a loaner, freezer, and a fridge as well till the new one shows up........free of charge, and will pick them up when it new one gets delivered.

Cost of the service call is absorbed in the cost as well.

Now that's the kind of service that impresses me.....Will continue to do business with these guys and spread the word.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

i like the idea of local shopping

I tend to shop local. I also make a point of asking (if I use my debit card) if it is cheaper for them to run it as a debit or a credit. Some processing companies charge less if the merchant runs it one way or the other. Sometimes it depends upon the amount, as to which is cheaper. In a small business, any little bit can add up.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Excellent customer service is such a simple thing. I really don't get companies (local or otherwise) that treat their customers shabbily. It really boggles my mind.

I try to shop the smaller stores if I can but I know a lot of local folks that work for the big name stores. My neighbor is the store manager at the local Lowes. So not shopping there is like thumbing my nose at my neighbor. Our Ace Hardware is local owned and operated so I try to give them business. But we have a family hardware store on the square that I try to do business with, too. They are the old hardware store that you can go into and yell out, "I need a left handed thinget for 1952 whazzit" and the old guy knows exactly where it is. It's under that box of bolts next to the screen door screen just to the left of the chicken feed. God I love that place.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm 50/50 so far with my larger purchases.. Had a great experience with a small local appliance store. But man I am regretting the local place I hired to make a sign for my business. But at least I try.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

When I built our house I bought about everything from the local lumber yard. The nearest big box store is nearly 50 miles away and I hope it stays that way.
    Usually smaller businesses charge a little more for their product compared to a big box. Probably due to buying power.
    I buy local even if it costs more because these are the same folks that buy from me.

Blog Entries

Wherever possible I try to use an independant business. I feel if we lose them, the big boys have won.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I buy both local and big box. It all depends on what I need and how stores treat me. My local Wally World actually has great people that work in the auto and sporting goods departments and I know the manager of the grocery department. So I don't mind getting some things there at all. I also know alot of people that work at my local Lowe's and Ace so I don't mind buying a few thing here and there from them. I too have a family owned hardware store just like Rick described and they just cannot be beat! I also know a little guy gun and ammo/reloading store and I love getting things from him.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I feel the same way and include restaurants. Our town has a coupon program called Buy Local. I prefer to spend at a Mom & Pops diner then a chain like McWendyKing.

A good friend explained his odd rating system. It never fails. When you enter a diner if they have more then one expired calendar pinned up the food is going to be good. One place had three pinned on top of each other. One place in Rochester, IN. had great food and fresh home made pies made by the family that ran the place. We didn't see calendars so we asked, there was several in back.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I like the old hardware stores as well, and Yeah, I do shop at china mart, but it is sad to see your local small hardware store guy, now works for Lowes as his store is out of buiness.
    Just something I try to do, and being impressed by the customer service i am recieving, had to bring it up.....

Oh yeah, dog went to the vet out here, bill was #35 bucks....not $400 at the city doggy health spa,,,,,,,

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have a local lumber supply I deal with for the 2nd/3rd/4th run to the building supply necessary with each project. Town is 25 miles distant and that is now a $10 round trip. I am better off paying the locals $8 for a $5 drill bit than making the drive.

They do sweeten the pot by offering me damaged and blemed lumber when it is available. I was finishing out a chicken house this week and they gave me off color-plywood at $10 a sheet rather then the good stuff at $20. The chickens will never know the difference.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

"What the....? Would you look at that?!"
    "This is disgraceful. If Henrietta and the other chicks find out we're staying in a second rate coop we'll be the talk of the town."
    "It's off color for cryin' out loud."
    "I think they call it nouveau chartreuse.
    "Stuff it, Louise. That's off color."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Relationships with my neighbors who own business today will probably pay off later on when it gets harder to get things from far away.

I try to trade local and really love a good barter or using junk silver to buy stuff.

I sort of think things are heading back towards that as a way of life as the big stores fall to economic times. If no one local is trading stuff, then it means dark days ahead for grubby times.

JMTC< YMMV
    Thaddius Bickerton

Refrigerator store guys delivered my fridge today, and picked up the loaners we used since last week, fridge and a small chest freezer....never did go to the store, just called them, and they took care of it...Good experiance.

Don't think you're going to see too many big stores fall, Thad. The mom's and pop's don't have the cash reserves or the buying power so their days are numbered. You might see some mergers and definitely some alliances. I'm seeing Craftsman stuff at Home Depot for example.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

I am thinking should the economy collapse that the small guys will end up running trade / barter posts.

Perhaps if Wally world is smart they will get horses and start freighting goods to all the small town trade posts

Wagon train ho!

but I know short term big box eats little mom n pop.
    Thaddius Bickerton

OOooooh. You're one of them economy collapse guys. Because I'm a really nice guy and do try to help my fellow man may I suggest that you just send all your money to me for disposal. There's no sense on sittin' around and waiting for the melt down. Get a jump on it and get rid of all that filthy money. It probably has drug dust on it anyway. Just send it to me. No need to thank me as I said I'm a really nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    OOooooh. You're one of them economy collapse guys. Because I'm a really nice guy and do try to help my fellow man may I suggest that you just send all your money to me for disposal. There's no sense on sittin' around and waiting for the melt down. Get a jump on it and get rid of all that filthy money. It probably has drug dust on it anyway. Just send it to me. No need to thank me as I said I'm a really nice guy.
    You know, Rick, alot of things have occured that were never possible. Some good, some bad. Christopher Columbus was ridiculed for circumnavigation because the world "is flat". Hitler's concentration camps were unfathomable. Man walking on the moon...... Do I think the U.S. dollar will completely "meltdown"? Nope, but when I took driver's ed 13years ago I never would thought that I would have to pay over four dollars a gallon at the pump before I turned 25. So even though I don't share the same fear with Thad, I don't ridicule him for it. Who knows, he might be the next Columbus.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Uh....no one ridiculed him. It was in jest. I think Thad knows that. We've poked on each other a time or two. I don't really expect him to send me any money. But if YOU'D like to send it feel free.

I live in an isolated town...............must take ferries (not the little ones that sparkle and fly) the big floating ones. to get in or out.

So, i only shop locally. If I need to shop at all.