Thread: Mosquito netting???

Default Mosquito netting???

Anybody buy the military surplus mosquito netting that goes over bunks?
    I've been thinking of getting some from ebay so I can fashion a quick mosquito wall when we decide to take a break on a hike.
    There's a trail not far from my house that goes around a nice big pond.But the area has quite a few mosquitos during the summer.
    Especially when you stop in an area that's away from the breeze coming off the water.
    Just looking for a quick set up for relief from these nasty vampires.

I have some that fits over my hammock. Not sure how practical it would be to use it taking a break on a hike. Here, with all of the sand, dense vegetation, humidity, and water you can imagine that they can be bad. When hiking in the woods I use DEET on my legs and hands, long sleeve shirts and a mosquito head net. There is also a product (I think Batch has used it) called Bug Tamers that seems to be very effective for activities like hunting.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks for the info,crash.
    I'll have to look up bug tamers.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Yep I use deet and a headnet. I hate breathing in those suckers and really can't stand it when two get together and try to haul me off to their brothers.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Something I read a while back said that bass a repelled by the smell of deet, so if you put it on your hands and handle your lure then it could have a negative impact on the fishing. Not a big problem if your fishing for fun, but I have started fishing tournaments so if you fish tournaments as well this is just a heads up.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

You might give the bugshirt a look:

http://www.bugshirt.com/

Buzzoff makes a lot of different apparel, too:

http://50.63.35.199/store/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You might give the bugshirt a look:

http://www.bugshirt.com/

Buzzoff makes a lot of different apparel, too:

http://50.63.35.199/store/
    Gander Mountain sells some nets that go over your head for a buck a piece, I bought 10 of them last summer and put em' in all the trucks and tackle boxes when the gnats were horrible...
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I hunt in Bug Tamers. But, they ain't cheap.

If the problem is that there is no breeze then look into Thermacells. http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent

They work in slack winds and you'd be flat out of your mind not to have one when tent camping in the summer down here.

I don't prefer mosquito rooms or netted off areas because people are always letting the skeeters in.

When I can I use DEET.

+1 on the Bug Tamer, quality product. +1 on the Thermalcell, you can refill the butane canistors with a simple modification. Deet!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    +1 on the Bug Tamer, quality product. +1 on the Thermalcell, you can refill the butane canisters with a simple modification. Deet!
    I had to read that a couple of times. I thought you were saying you could refill the butane canister with DEET. There are two videos on youtube that show how to refill the butane canisters with modification. Also, some ideas on what to use in place of the mats. If you do buy the canisters, you can get a better deal on the canisters by buying the conair refills for their curling irons. We bought them in the cosmetic section of Walgreens.

Nice pick up Batch.... I thought that too.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Thanks for the tip on Thermacells,Batch.
    I plan to check them out after work today.
    This weekend I watched many reviews and how to videos on youtube about the product.
    Looks like it would work great for what I have planned this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    +1 on the Bug Tamer, quality product. +1 on the Thermalcell, you can refill the butane canistors with a simple modification. Deet!
    +2 on that......DW uses the cell in her curling iron, so I can steal them when she ain't looking.....LOL

+2 on the head nets as well, you can buy the hunting nets for $10 bucks, or the cheapos in the camping section, I have one in every coat, jacket, and vest....even use one for cutting the grass last year when the gnats decided that my ears and nose were a good place to attack.

Use DEET as well, ticks are bad here....and always wear long pants and shirt......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27