Thread: A Looming Crisis — Climate Change and Our Water Supply

Default A Looming Crisis — Climate Change and Our Water Supply

As many of you know part of my former life was spent directing business continuity and disaster recovery for the company I worked for. I still have my hand in that environment and receive quite a bit of literature on it. Here's one that I thought might be of interest to everyone.

http://westernfarmpress.com/manageme...-crisis?page=1
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Power plant and vehicle emissions...sounds like they are focusing on CO2 again. The problem extends far beyond the Carbon Footprint.

Individual states aren't going to be able to set up water control systems. There needs to be integrated aquifer management areas and they will most likely cross state boundaries.

That's actually a pretty good insight and not something I had considered. We pull about 1/3 of our water from underground around here with the remaining 2/3 coming from rivers. We have an extremely shallow water table with a lot of artesian wells and weeps in the area. I don't really know how deep the commercial wells are.

We've lived in a pretty gentle time frame from a human comfort stand point. While I don't pretend to know if global warming is man made, part of the earth's life cycle or a combination of both, it's pretty clear that temperatures are starting to rise. That means an increase in evaporation from surface water sp some level of water management probably needs to be looked at sooner than later.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

All copper 1 Ltr alembic still.
    It's pretty small and just needs a sealent like flour paste.

I'm going to create a net bag for it, and attach it to my BOB.
    I think these water crisis will be for the unprepared, or unimaginative that can't survive/thrive in a survivalist environment!

Oh the best part of a Copper Alembic Still is....

You pour salt water in the pot, when your done, you'll have clean water in your collector, and salt brine in your pot!
    Last edited by jcullen24; 04-19-2012 at 11:45 AM.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

"While I don't pretend to know if global warming is man made,"....Rick

Check out the Native prophecies like 'Night of the Bleeding Stars' or read what Mary Summer Rain has to say or the book 'Mutant Message Down Under'. These might help you to decide.

Lobo
    My day is wasted if I haven't experienced or learned something new.

I get joy from doing something others say I cannot do-like survive without a steady income. I can't wait til those same people come to me and ask for help when the sh** hits the fan.

No one knows. Everyone has an opinion. Opinions are a great deal like the parieto-occipital sulcus. Everybody has one.

I think we have overpopulated, and poisened the earth, and the tipping point between sustainability and everything going to H*ll in a hand basket is very close. Mankind eventually saps and ruins everything he touches and it has been that way every since we invented the city!
    I am honestly glad I was born when I was, because by no later than 2050, this place will be a real mess, and I wont be here to see it!

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

+1 I totally agree!

Oh, snap! You guys are "the glass is half empty" guys, right? People have been starving for eons but not because there wasn't enough food. The food just has to reach the people. Here, read this.

http://westernfarmpress.com/governme...res-feed-world

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh, snap! You guys are "the glass is half empty" guys, right? People have been starving for eons but not because there wasn't enough food. The food just has to reach the people. Here, read this.

http://westernfarmpress.com/governme...res-feed-world
    But not world wide, and that is not far away!

Just another good reason to put a Multi thousand gallon cistern on your property along with a rain catch.
    I know what hunts you.

Yeah, world wide. It's a lot more political than it is lack of food. The food gets shipped then sold on the black market before it can reach the people or simply denied to people. China, Africa, Russia, India, Cambodia and here in the U.S. against the American Indian during the Trail of Tears forced march. There is no continent that has not experienced famine and starvation either environmental and/or political.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's a lot more political than it is lack of food.
    Have to agree. I've been in some real armpits of the world and hunger is a very real thing. West/East Africa was the worse. Warlords and their Henchmen grab everything for themselves and the aid never gets to the people it was intended for. The useless UN stands by with their stupid baby blue bonnets and allows it because of "engagement rules". Had a bead on many a bad guy only to have to let this BS happen "right there!!!". 2lbs more of pressure would have put a stop to that "right there".
    In the land of Wolves and Sheep, I'll be a Sheepdog. Protect your flock.

When I said worldwide, I meant food not available on a world wide basis. As tempreatures rise, crops will not grow, livestock will disapear, no food. Politics dont have squat to do with it when the food sources dry up and just doesn't exist.
    Polititicians need to get off their lazy azzes and make laws to protect the environment now before it becomes irreversable, but they are too busy making money from not addressing the issues. Big oil doesn't like fuel efficient cars, so it took a hundred years to even start making them, so on so on so on!
    Apparently there is big money in ignoring the environment in many ways.
    Yeah people have starved in one form or the other for thousands of years, but not on a total global basis. I only hope the earth can repair itself once we have burnt out an become extinct!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 04-21-2012 at 11:16 AM.