Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Farthest shot with a .22 rifle

You could always shoot the transmission...........at 400 yards.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My .22, a Marlin XT-22 shoots more accurately with Eley and CCI than any other ammo. Eley is expensive stuff, but it will shoot good in almost any rifle. Note I said almost! Some .22 rifles are very picky about their ammo, so nothing is a sure thing, but with a new .22, I would start out with CCI, Eley, and Winchester. Normally one of those will shoot well in many different rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    However, I am not sure that the slug, with only 500fps left at 400 yards, would be able to punch a hole through the paper.
    My .22lr punches paper at that range all the time. And, with all due respect to you, friend, it would only have to punch the tiniest of holes in an inflated balloon. Even a paperwad can do that.

My real point, however, has to do with your cavalier disrespect of Californians. As a Californian (albeit transplanted from Alabama in 1988) I offered you a distinct challenge that you attempted to "straw-man" into a different subject area.

I am willing to accept that as your refusal to accept the challenge. And that, of course, is commonly interpreted as an admission of error vis-a-vis California and Californians. If such is not your desire, all ya gotta do is "pick up the glove" of my challenge.

Regards to all and enmity to none,

-- Nighteyes

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    My .22lr punches paper at that range all the time. And, with all due respect to you, friend, it would only have to punch the tiniest of holes in an inflated balloon. Even a paperwad can do that.

My real point, however, has to do with your cavalier disrespect of Californians. As a Californian (albeit transplanted from Alabama in 1988) I offered you a distinct challenge that you attempted to "straw-man" into a different subject area.

I am willing to accept that as your refusal to accept the challenge. And that, of course, is commonly interpreted as an admission of error vis-a-vis California and Californians. If such is not your desire, all ya gotta do is "pick up the glove" of my challenge.

-- Nighteyes
    Daniel you have a most eloquent way of pooping on an unliked post

Well I shot a gnat off of a hummingbirds rump at 200 yards in a hurricane with my old Sears and Robuck .22 one time, it must have been a lucky shot

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Daniel you have a most eloquent way of pooping on an unliked post
    Even the TP looks good after he pooped!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Well I shot a gnat off of a hummingbirds rump at 200 yards in a hurricane with my old Sears and Robuck .22 one time, it must have been a lucky shot
    Really? I thought I was the only one who pulled that off!

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Really? I thought I was the only one who pulled that off!
    Must be an Ohio thang man

Must be an Ohio thang man
    Oh ya, well us Indiana boys can shoot a hair of a frog at 300 yards
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

And the frog will never even know he was shaved.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post

-- Nighteyes
    Sorry Daniel, the challenge was accepted and accomplished 2 days ago. I had 17 witnesses but I did not get any of their names, however one said he was a cop from two states over and one was a 17 year old x-navy seal, so the results of the test were verified.

It took two shots to zero but after the second shot everyone scattered since the slugs were bouncing off the balloons and scaring everyone as they zinged past us going faster on the way back than on the way out.

And now I have enmity and gauntlets thrown at me from clear across the nation! I am crushed. How will I show my face at the Plantation house after dodging a duel? I'll probably have to run off out west somewhere and hide from my shame.

By the way, did you catch any of the banter between Ohio and Indiannaia over the past two or three days? How about Wildthing and Natertot and Rick and me razzing each other over Ohio, Indiannia, Kentucky and TN? That's sort of what we do here and Kalifornians are the fairest game of all, after all, look where you live. Buttons on your magazine releases, no pistol grips, no hicapacity magazines, lead bullets outlawed, and you people still stay there. I took that as a general indication of a unique sense of humor.

Lighten up Kalifornia dude!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-25-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    Using a 400 pound frog with a giant afro

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    Actually, you missed! I shot it off for you clear from Ohio so you wouldn't feel bad.

Massachusetts may be the fairest game of all but, yeah, Kalifornia is a reaaaaally close second.

Are you trembling or is the ground shaking again?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm trembling for sure. It has to be me, you know how scarce earthquakes are around here.

Well the furthest shot I ever had with a .22lr was with an old Cooey single shot, at optimum angle (national secret) it went and went till it just disappeared into the horizon. I just stood there for awhile waiting to see any results, to my surprise I felt a tap on my left back shoulder, turned and no one was there. At my heels was the spent .22lr bullet covered in dust from it's flight, this was verified by 2 ravens and a magpie.
    Daniel, your a good man with good words, never told me an untruth.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Well I swan. I never........All the way 'round the world you say? The ravens I'd believe but I've never met a magpie I'd trust very much.

Those Indiana dudes can't hit a bull in the a$$ with a base fiddle

That...uh....includes you does it there Mr. Eli Lilly?

You guys are getting a bit frisky for folks that only live a couple of hours apart and have access to public ranges! It is spring and no one is snowed in any more.

You guys could all run over here to KY and use our generous facilities at the local WMA and settle this series of wild accusations. All we have to do is catch a couple of whiskered misquitoes and hairy frogs and we are all set.

I'll bet Rick could shoot a .22 even with a gimpy shoulder.

If we planned an outting for a Friday we could even shoot some trap. Friday night is trap night at the club and nonmembers are welcome.

Right now we have about a 30 MPH wind going on, so that would play heck with the long range .22 shooting but at least it would put folks in their place and give them some perspective. Most of the perspective being a good look at how small an 24 inch gong is at 350 yards. Our club has a ringer set up at that range just to shut people up. If we tried to get a full 400 we would have to park the target against the side of the local day care.

It's amazing how few people at our range claim they can hit teny-tiny targets at what they think is "about that far" when all you have to do is say "there it is, a 2 foot circle at 350, go for it!"