Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Farthest shot with a .22 rifle

More gooder.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've walked shots out with my 22 and SKS before so I understand the rocket science behind it. I guess I'm just not seeing all of the hard mathematical numbers add up to your claims. How far did your shots go? What were you using to measure the distance? I know my range finder only goes to 1000 yds. (I'm sure there are better ones out there.) Even with a spotting scope there are too many variables about tracking that little piece of lead hitting the ground and making a "poof" to obtain an accurate measurable distance. I think projecting the the bullet at a 45 degree angle that little sucker will travel farther than most think. (I read that on the internet somewhere so it must be true) Besides, I suck at math and this is something, how far will a .22 bullet shoot, that I have always wondered. I think we should call in... The Mythbusters!!
    Last edited by RCKCRWLER; 04-19-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Since I'm on the interweb, I can hold a 1/2 group at 500 meters (always use meters when you are trying to impress someone on the interweb) with my Savage model 15, SS that I paid $13 dollars for in about '59....off hand, but have to hold to the left a tad, as I dropped it off my handle bars on my bike and bent the front sight......No, seriously.....

I have no idea, never really paced off a squirrel........ what does one shoot at, at one mile.....?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

I have no idea, never really paced off a squirrel........ what does one shoot at, at one mile.....?
    Ummm........A Sand Dune? Or maybe a Rogue Wave in the Ocean!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Hopefully with a .22, NOTHING! Just wondering if the bullet will travel as far as the warning label claims...

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by RCKCRWLER View Post
    I've walked shots out with my 22 and SKS before so I understand the rocket science behind it. I guess I'm just not seeing all of the hard mathematical numbers add up to your claims. How far did your shots go? What were you using to measure the distance? I know my range finder only goes to 1000 yds. (I'm sure there are better ones out there.) Even with a spotting scope there are too many variables about tracking that little piece of lead hitting the ground and making a "poof" to obtain an accurate measurable distance. I think projecting the the bullet at a 45 degree angle that little sucker will travel farther than most think. (I read that on the internet somewhere so it must be true) Besides, I suck at math and this is something, how far will a .22 bullet shoot, that I have always wondered. I think we should call in... The Mythbusters!!
    you will find that maximim range is not achieved at 45 degrees. Max range will be achieved at somewhere between 30-35 degrees and any variation from that will bring the shots back in your direction.

As far as tracking the shots? You use a reference point. It is fairly easy to tell if the shots are landing before the reference point or beyond the reference point. That is espically true of the .22LR which will land well within sight and is easy to track.

How far did the .22 land? It has been 40 years and I do not remember the exact number of feet and inches, but I do remember that I was amazed that is landed in sight and kept trying to get one out of visual range, and never did. It was really closer to the 500-[600 yard mythical range if the internet champions. The fact is that those people claiming to be shooting at 500 with a .22lr are at the very edge of its max range. With the variations in ammo, mirage, wind, temperature inversions and all the things that can happen to a 40 grain bullet with very bad sectional density at 500 yards I would not guarentee being able to hit a school buss at 500 yards with a .22LR.

When it comes to firearms testing and the Mythbusters, I do not trust anyone in California to do the testing. If they knew anything about firearms they would not be living there.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    When it comes to firearms testing and the Mythbusters, I do not trust anyone in California to do the testing. If they knew anything about firearms they would not be living there.

My .22LR is a tack driver. But, it is hard on the stock. If I hit the tack too hard, the stock breaks. I guess it's good I am not trying to drive 16 penny nails.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

... I do not trust anyone in California to do the testing. If they knew anything about firearms they would not be living there.
    Ah-HEM! Would you care to place your money where your "mouth" is...?

Here's the challenge -- can you and your .22LR routinely hit 10-inch targets (about the size of an inflated balloon) at 400 yards?

I happen to live in California and, with my scoped bolt-action .22LR, I can do this each and every day of the week.

It's your move...

I gotta hand it to you KY. Sometimes you come up with a gem. That right there was funny I don't care who you are. God bless them little gun totin' pygmies down there in New Guinea.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post

Here's the challenge -- can you and your .22LR routinely hit 10-inch targets (about the size of an inflated balloon) at 400 yards?

I happen to live in California and, with my scoped bolt-action .22LR, I can do this each and every day of the week.

It's your move...
    It ain't MY move!

I guess only an Indian can do that.

I already stated my opinion that shooting a 22lr at that range was a rediculious pursuit and I don't intend to waste my time doing it.

If I were to do so I am sure that IF the conditions were perfect, and IF my ammo were perfect, and IF I could properly dope in the 247" of drop (20.58 feet), since my rifle will group about 3" at 100 I SHOULD be able to keep the shots inside 12" at 400.

However, I am not sure that the slug, with only 500fps left at 400 yards, would be able to punch a hole through the paper.

Now I am wanting to set up a piece of plywood with a tack barely stuck in it and see if I can drive a tack at about 30 yards. I'll record it if I do, should be a fun trick shot if I pull it off lol
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Heck I done the split a .50 cal ball on an ax blade, breaking a clay bird on each side, with the muzzleloader, no once but 3 times in a row, to win a shoot off....with witnesses....
    So hitting a baloon at 400 yards with a 22 should be apiece of cake....Until I try, it it will remin a possibility.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post

It's your move...
    I can do that each and every day of the week. It might take me awhile, but eventually, I will have done it on Monday, Tuesday, Wed.....

Heck I done the split a .50 cal ball on an ax blade, breaking a clay bird on each side, with the muzzleloader, no once but 3 times in a row, to win a shoot off....with witnesses....
    So hitting a baloon at 400 yards with a 22 should be apiece of cake....Until I try, it it will remin a possibility.
    Now, I KNOW I can split a .50 cal bullet with an axe. The key to this is to not hold the bullet with your hand while swinging the axe. You might miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    Now I am wanting to set up a piece of plywood with a tack barely stuck in it and see if I can drive a tack at about 30 yards. I'll record it if I do, should be a fun trick shot if I pull it off lol
    Thumbtack at 25-30 yards is no problem for a properly tuned .22 rifle/ammo combination Sparky.

If you go over to the Rimfire Central Forum and look under the Supersport 10/22 section you will find about 150-200 people that can place all their shots inside 1/4" center to center at 25 yards. My rifle will accomplish that with good ammo any trip to the range, but it took a full summer of ammo testing and accurizing work on the rifle to accomplish that.

Not the capabilities of every .22 with any old ammo, but good rifles using good ammo. It might also take a good lead sled and a 12x scope too.

Thumbtack at 25-30 yards is no problem for a properly tuned .22 rifle/ammo combination Sparky.

If you go over to the Rimfire Central Forum and look under the Supersport 10/22 section you will find about 150-200 people that can place all their shots inside 1/4" center to center at 25 yards. My rifle will accomplish that with good ammo any trip to the range, but it took a full summer of ammo testing and accurizing work on the rifle to accomplish that.

Not the capabilities of every .22 with any old ammo, but good rifles using good ammo. It might also take a good lead sled and a 12x scope too.
    What ammo did you find to be best for your .22, I'm going to get some different kinds to run through it and see what works best. This is my rifle http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=G2202030, it is worth a heck of a lot more than I thought it was, but it is also not in showroom condition but not beet to heck either it's still in awesome shape.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    What ammo did you find to be best for your .22, I'm going to get some different kinds to run through it and see what works best. This is my rifle http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=G2202030, it is worth a heck of a lot more than I thought it was, but it is also not in showroom condition but not beet to heck either it's still in awesome shape.
    What shoots best? SK Pistol Match. But I have to order it and pay shipping as well as the ammo price.
    http://www.champchoice.com/detail.aspx?ID=2496

I found that plain old CCI MiniMags from Wallmart shoot within 1/16" of the SK at 25 yards. That means they will shoot into 5/16" where the SK will go inside 1/4". If your target was a thumb tack head you still hit it. The CCI cost half as much and I can get them anywhere in the United States and know my rifle is already sighted in.

One of the things you learn real quick when ammo testing is that changing brands of ammo can change your point of impact by as much as 3" at 25 yards and many of the "bulk ammo" choices will not group inside a 3" circle at 25 yards. There are exceptions, but not many. CCI Blazer is one of the exceptions. It is not target grade ammo but it will stay inside 1/2"-3/4" at 25 yards. That is good for a bulk ammo.

Tack driver huh?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I really wanted to go out and try for some 400 yard shots today out on the stamp sands but my jeep was giving me troubles so i never got a chance. I think my transmision is about to die on me
    "Tada gan iarracht" (nothing without effort)

And Shepherds we shall be
    For thee, my Lord, for thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    In Nomeni Patri Et Fili
    Spiritus Sancti.
    -Boondock Saints