Thread: It's Started

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default It's Started

Forget the worries over .22 ammo.

Forget the shortages of bulk surplus and dry up of surplus rifles.

Dove season has opened!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFNLbAs3KAU

Time to break out the shotguns, scarf up a stick of cheap Walmart shotgun shells and head for the freshly mowed corn fields in search of natures own version of the F15!

Doves are one of those game animals that revive one's faith in the hunting sports. You do not have to own land, drive for a thousand miles or have a fancy gun.

Farmers in my area put adds in the news and posters in the window of the LGS advertising hunts on their freshly harvested fields. You just show up, park, pay your $5-$10 and shoot at the little missiles until you run out of shells!

The local WMA has a 100 acre field planted in mixed corn, millet and sorghum which they mow the day before season opens just to enhance the presence of the little critters. You can shoot there for free!

Next comes archery deer season.

Once again, life has meaning!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You are correct....so many seasons, so little time.....

Our dove and early Canada Goose started Sept 1.....
    Lots of season started on Sept 12.
    Deer- Bow
    Turkey
    Squirrel
    Rabbit- North

Duck Sept 26th North Zone......Oct 3rd Southern and Mississippi Zone
    Rabbit-South Oct. 17th

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/dates.html
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yep, unlimited archery deer from now till mid-Jan, and I have a 2 week crossbow season coming up Oct 1. I get one antlered and two antlerless on my tag but after those are used up I am only required to call in for additional permit numbers.

Our DNR has gone high tech and they are requesting that people call in as soon as they shoot the deer, while still standing over the carcass if possible. Seems that there are no people left in KY that do not have a cell phone! We do not get "tags", we just call in and give our license number, tell what type deer and they give us new codes for another deer.

Doves for a month and squirrel from now until Feb with everything else scattered in there in broken patches for rabbit, modern gun on deer and such.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Farmers in my area put adds in the news and posters in the window of the LGS advertising hunts on their freshly harvested fields. You just show up, park, pay your $5-$10 and shoot at the little missiles until you run out of shells!
    Hahaha! That's a pretty accurate assessment! I've seen guys go through a whole box of shells without bagging a single bird. It would be cheaper to just go to a nice restaurant!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Hahaha! That's a pretty accurate assessment! I've seen guys go through a whole box of shells without bagging a single bird. It would be cheaper to just go to a nice restaurant!
    That sounds like my wife.......so just to keep her quite I go hunting...then take her to dinner.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Youth early deer season started last Saturday. My grand daughter, who is 12 yrs old, shot a 3 point buck with a muzzleloader. Dressed out at 125 lbs. She was so high she was bouncing off the celling!

It used to be no problem to find a dove hunt around here, but the last couple years it's getting harder to find a place. I don't know if it's a liability issue or if farmers got sick of people littering and tearing up the fields. There are a couple but they want $50 a head, NO WAY.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.