Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Farthest shot with a .22 rifle

Default Farthest shot with a .22 rifle

The farthest I have ever shot anything with a .22LR was prairie dogs out in the west. I was hitting them at around 130 yards pretty consistantly after I got the windage down. I have hit crows out to around 75 too 100 yards, didn't hit them every time at that range but several bit the dirt.
    One thing that got me to thinking about this, is another forum I frequent where people target practice with22 rifles out to 500 yards. They put a 20 mil scope base on so they can keep the scope in mid range adjustment, and use basically high end tactical scopes for their optics, and also have tournament target shoots with the lowely .22 rifle. They use subsonic ammo so it doesn't lose it's stabilization when it goes subsonic.
    At first I thought they were crazy, but it is starting to sound like a lot of fun. I guess before I got on that forum, I never knew that .22's could shoot accurately for 500 yards, and always assumed they were a 100 yard maximum rifle. I would never shoot at game at those extreme ranges, but at targets what to heck!
    So this summer when I get my target range set up, I'm going to try this just to see how accurate my .22's are, and of course, the ammo is fairly cheap so it's not like it will cost a lot of money.
    Have any of you guys ever shot a .22 at a 500 yard target? And What is the farthest shot youv'e ever made in any situation?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have never purposfully shot at anything at 500 with a .22, and do not intend too.

I have shot at extremely long range, just to see how far the rounds will go before falling, and it is not a mile.

The local public range had a 100 yard restriction on the range for a while and I did shoot my reworked 10/22 at 100. The same rifle that will group inside 1/2" at 50 yards spreads to 3" at 100. That was off sandbags with a 12 power scope, from the same shooting table I use for the 50 yard shooting.

That is a little bity 40 grain pill that does not start out much over 1200fps and drops off fast. the hyper velocity rounds start out faster but drop speed rapidly. Bullet drop at 500 is measured in feet (like 20 feet, not 2 feet), not inches. And once zeroed and hitting at 500, on a completely calm, mariage free and windless day, the rifle is worthless for anything between here and there.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

There’s an open field near here that I go shooting sometimes with a few friends. They all have mosin nagants and I have my grandpa’s old Mossberg 42m .22. My ammo is cheaper and my gun shoots more accurately. I was able to hit 3 out of 5 empty 12 gauge shells at around 160 yards. I don’t have the exact range it may have been more like 155. .22 is not the wimpy caliber that everyone makes it out to be, plus you can’t beat the price of ammo.
    "Tada gan iarracht" (nothing without effort)

And Shepherds we shall be
    For thee, my Lord, for thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    In Nomeni Patri Et Fili
    Spiritus Sancti.
    -Boondock Saints

I compete monthly in a 100 meter shoot with the 22lr. Most of the guys are using Anschutz and other expensive guns while i'm using my 10-22. Granted it's tricked out and I hold my own with them.
    Longest shot on a groundhog 150 yards
    I know what hunts you.

This isn't about shooting long, but I had to share this one.

I've heard about some club in Va. (I lost the info.) having .22 shoots. They have two classes. With scope or without scope. That's it. Any .22, any ammo. The thing that made it interesting to me (Read as; not won by the guy who could buy the most expensive rifle.) is that all shots were made standing....freehand. (I'm not sure if they allowed slings.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I've seen a video....youtube maybe, of a guy shooting 500 yards with a .22. He was just kinda lobbing them in.

My club used to have a $100 .22 shoot. It was off the bench.

If you won anyone in the club could buy your rifle for $100. If you refused to sell you forfitted the match.

That was done to insure that money was not the decesive issue. no one was supposed to have more than the $100 limit in their gun. That did not mean there was not a lot of tuning and gunsmithing tricks being done.

We still have .22 silhouette shoots each weekend. Offhand at 25-50-75-100. All these shotgun shell at 150 yard shooters ought to show up, they could make a killing! I have only seen the entire course cleaned once in three years and that guy nearly wet his pants before it was over.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I have only seen the entire course cleaned once in three years and that guy nearly wet his pants before it was over.
    You guys were supposed to stop shooting while he was pickin up the lead

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    You guys were supposed to stop shooting while he was pickin up the lead
    I was working as range safety officer at the Friendship Indiannia fall national shoot one year when suddenly the entire range went dead silent. A doe with a fawn had walked smack onto the offhand pistol range and proceeded to amble all the way across the pistol, offhand rifle and bench gun ranges. Everyone simply stopped shooting and let the family cross without even having to call "cease fire".

Even after I called "resume fire" they looked at me from up and down the range and asked if I was sure the deer were clear.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I have shot at extremely long range, just to see how far the rounds will go before falling, and it is not a mile.

Curious as to how you did this.

Watch the dust fly? Out in the desert it works!

Why all the hubbub? It says right on the box it may shoot over a mile!!!!!!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr
    He's fast. Reallllly fast.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by RCKCRWLER View Post
    What you do is get into a spot where you can see the curvature of the earth and there is sand all the way to the horizion. Then you begin walking the shots out as far as you can while watching for little puffs of dust on the ground. It is handy if you have some reference points and someone spotting your shots.

It ain't rocket science.

I am convinced that the only way a .22LR round will go a mile is if it is skipping along the water like a flat rock.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-18-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Actually, with that whole curvature of the earth thing and propellants and gravity and what not it is kinda rocket science.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Farthest shot I ever got with .22 was a squirrel at about 60 yards at the most. My little .22 anschutz is a tack driver I tell you what.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

He didn't mean it, SD. He's just a kid. (never use the term "what you said" where SD can hear it. It's almost like saying Niagara Falls.

Niagara Falls! Slowly I turned.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yJBh...eature=related

What Did I say, what did I say! Should I go into hiding?! lol
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

It's what you called your anschutz. Only a hammer can do that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's what you called your anschutz. Only a hammer can do that thing.
    lol, I'll say it this way, at 50 yards I can shoot a paper 5 times and only have one hole (note this as sending 5 bullets through the same hole, not missing the target, just wanted to clarify lol)
    Thomas Paine