Thread: michigan gun owners....

Default michigan gun owners....

have any of you been paying attention to senate bill 59? its supposed to let people who undergo a bit of extra training carry concealed in traditionally pistol free zones, like college campuses, hospitals, churches, and a few other places. i heard about it like 2 or 3 weeks ago and havent heard much since. anyone know the status on this bill? and if you havent read the bill here is a link to it
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...1-SIB-0059.htm

there are other sections of this bill that dont sound so good but im interested to see what you all think.
    "Tada gan iarracht" (nothing without effort)

And Shepherds we shall be
    For thee, my Lord, for thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    In Nomeni Patri Et Fili
    Spiritus Sancti.
    -Boondock Saints

I haven't heard any thing of it but suspect due to the shooting in florida it will probably be squashed. We did recently gain the right to own a silencer. Now to get them legal for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I haven't heard any thing of it but suspect due to the shooting in florida it will probably be squashed. We did recently gain the right to own a silencer. Now to get them legal for hunting.
    Yeah, but due to the 23 shooting in Chicago it should be passed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I like the way that Bill sounds! This past year, Ohio passed that CCW can carry in alcohol establishments as long as signs aren't posted against it and the CCW holder isn't consuming. I love America!!!!!!!!!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Natertater
    the CCW holder isn't consuming
    Now I have this vision of a guy sitting at a bar with a gun and a beer in front of him.......

Bartender: "Problem?"
    Guy: "I can't figure out which I want the most."
    Bartender shaking his head in agreement: "Yeah, tough decision."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

As long as students and staff were allowed to carry, so they could protect themselves, I think it would be a good bill to pass. But if not, I'm not sure. a little extra training, and a CCW does not always mean that a person is not a nut job!
    I think just allowing people to walk in off the street carrying a gun could make things worse, bu then again they can do it now in a lot of cases. I dont have time to read that entire bill because it would take all day!
    I'll bet if the bill is passed, no teachers or students will be allowed to carry!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 04-17-2012 at 10:26 AM.

I'll probably tick some folks off but ....

I have a hard time with CCW on campus for students. Young adult brains are not fully formed until the age of 25 or so.* That puts a crink in the old thought process so I'm at odds as to whether it would be a good thing or not. Certainly, allowing teachers and staff to carry would be okay in my book.

*http://www.academic.marist.edu/mwwat...5/science1.htm
    *http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2006/02/06.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'll probably tick some folks off but ....

I have a hard time with CCW on campus for students. Young adult brains are not fully formed until the age of 25 or so.* That puts a crink in the old thought process so I'm at odds as to whether it would be a good thing or not. Certainly, allowing teachers and staff to carry would be okay in my book.

*http://www.academic.marist.edu/mwwat...5/science1.htm
    *http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2006/02/06.html
    Yeah you are right Rick, but if just any old body can pack into a school, then how could they stop the students from doing it as well? I am sure there is an answer to all of this somewhere! There is also a lot of old crazy's in the world too, so what do you do?

Now I have this vision of a guy sitting at a bar with a gun and a beer in front of him.......

Bartender: "Problem?"
    Guy: "I can't figure out which I want the most."
    Bartender shaking his head in agreement: "Yeah, tough decision."
    Yeah, alot of people had that vision. I'm glad for it because if I go to an Applebee's or the like for a dinner with my family, I don't have to go without just because the restaurant serves alcohol. I also like it because I do side security jobs protecting money at events where alocohol is served. Have you ever carried ten grand around thousands of people and no way to defend yourself? Not a goooood feeling!

Young adult brains are not fully formed until the age of 25 or so.*
    I guess it's good we give 17 year olds fully automatic rifles and tell them to defend the country.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

In Michigan it is already legal for a person with a concealed carry license to carry on a college campus, but not in a classroom. When the law was changed about eight years ago, my college administration sent all the staff a memo to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Finallyme
    I guess it's good we give 17 year olds fully automatic rifles and tell them to defend the country.
    That's why old men don't fight wars.

That's why old men don't fight wars.
    Yeah, but if we sent you over in your hong, the enemy would surrender! Just think of all the lives you could save and all the suffering you'd end. You would be a HERO!

Recognized and agreed. Butt! I'm special. I'm holding out until the big invasion hits then watch out!! Has anyone told you that your avatar sucks?

You are so very lucky I have magical powers to go along with my hong. Your avatar looks a lot better now. No, no. No need to thank me. Your industrious administrator is just doing his job. Besides, folks had been complaining that Ohio sign was hurting their sensibilities.