Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home remedy for ear ache

Default Home remedy for ear ache

Here is one I bet you never heard of. My Dad and I were camping when I was around 10 years old, and I woke up on night and my ear was killing me. We were in the deep woods of Arkansas, in the Mulberry area, and it was a long ways to a doctor.
    After I told my Dad that my ear was hurting pretty bad, he got up, and said, I'll be back in a few minutes. I was thinking OK, that really helped.
    After around 10 minutes he crawled back in the tent, and said lay with the ear that hurts facing up. So I rolled over with that ear facing up, and he spit right in my ear.
    I almost got sick, and ask him why in the heck he spit in my ear. He said, " That's tobaco juice boy, and it's help you ear ache". This is one time I really thought my dad was full of chit. But in less than 20 minutes, that ear stopped hurting and it never ached anymore.
    I dont know exactly what Days Work tobaco juice does to an ear ache, but by golly it worked! I carry a plug of that stuff in my Bob and also use it on stings. Heck sometimes I just chew it for an after dinner desert!

you should be thankful you didn't have a problem with your eyes.LOL On a more serious note I believe that's a good remedy and may have heard of it before.

Yeah. Be glad it wasn't a tooth ache. Tobacco has long been a remedy for a number of ailments. Ever heard of the cigarette cone? The thing is if the problem is with the middle or inner ear it won't do any good. You're really only treating the ear canal and ear drum where few maladies occur. More often they have a placebo effect.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah. Be glad it wasn't a tooth ache. Tobacco has long been a remedy for a number of ailments. Ever heard of the cigarette cone? The thing is if the problem is with the middle or inner ear it won't do any good. You're really only treating the ear canal and ear drum where few maladies occur. More often they have a placebo effect.
    Yeah maybe I just convinced myself that if it hurt anymore, he would do it again! But honestly, it quit hurting and actually felt good after the tobaco took affect. I wonder if something in the tobacco could actually soak through the ear drum. I know the doctors prescribe antibiotic ear drops in a lot of cases, and that is not a placebo medications.
    Well whatever happened, it sure helped is all I know. Rick the next time you get an ear ache, get somebody to spit tobacco juice in your ear and you will then know the truth!

next time I get a earache I'm going to try spitting baccer juice in my ear.

You goof. You can't do that any more than you can lick your own elbow. The most you are going to do is get juice all over the mirror and then your wife will flog you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    next time I get a earache I'm going to try spitting baccer juice in my ear.
    Just use a soda straw and dont try to spit the truck window and catch it your ear, it rarely works...........LOL. Be sure and dont use any of the flavored stuff like wintergreen. Just use Redman, Beechnut pouch, or Days Work plug!

Nobody likes a quitter, got to keep on trying. LOL windstorm???

wintergreen chaw, yuck!!!

Or you could just get a 2 foot peice of rubber tubing, and blow your ear full of tobacco juice. Caution, only do this when nobody else is around

What about natty dip, I always got either that or the flavored stuff. Not a big fan of levi garret, it's the only chew I've tried. Didn't like it, tasted too much like raisins and I've never been a big fan of those...
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I'm a bit of a grizzly mint and wintergreen fan myself...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Or you could just go to the doctor.

There was a fireman in my home town that lost his bottom lip because he chewed. Cancer cures smoking. Does a good job on chewing, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Or you could just go to the doctor.

There was a fireman in my home town that lost his bottom lip because he chewed. Cancer cures smoking. Does a good job on chewing, too.
    You could lose a little lip and never miss it

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    I'm a bit of a grizzly mint and wintergreen fan myself...

I normally chew Skoals wintergreen, or Beechnut depending on what I'm doing. I keep a plug of Days Work Plug just for my backpack sealed in a mylar pouch so if I need a chaw, I got it!

good old twist for me when I can get it.

Just be glad he used tobacco and hadn't read the latest on "poo therapy".
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I normally chew Skoals wintergreen, or Beechnut depending on what I'm doing. I keep a plug of Days Work Plug just for my backpack sealed in a mylar pouch so if I need a chaw, I got it!
    I got some skoal wintergreen in right now cause I'm out of everything else, I don't really like skoal wintergreen but I'm too poor to by anymore grizzly right now lol they don't sell any Days Work here but I'd sure like to try some if I ever find somewhere that sells it...
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    I got some skoal wintergreen in right now cause I'm out of everything else, I don't really like skoal wintergreen but I'm too poor to by anymore grizzly right now lol they don't sell any Days Work here but I'd sure like to try some if I ever find somewhere that sells it...
    Days Work is a plug tobacco. It is a little compressed square and I cut off a chunk with my knife!