Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home remedy for ear ache

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Days Work is a plug tobacco. It is a little compressed square and I cut off a chunk with my knife!
    Ya, Ive seen it before, just never tried it...
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Like others, as long as I crack myself up, nothing else matters!

Streptococcus, on both fronts? Not a good idea.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    Streptococcus, on both fronts? Not a good idea.
    Well I am no doctor, but couldn't it be possible that tobacco kills straptococcus bacteria? Tobacco kills a lot of insects, and plants when they are exposed to it.
    Plus as long as the person that spits the tobacco in the other persons ear does not have strep throat, it should be OK. But I guess anyhting is possible!
    I know one thing, I wouldn't just let anybody spit in my ear, and now, I would probably use my own spit which would minimize the risk of strepto infection.

Well I am no doctor,..........
    Nor I.

.......but couldn't it be possible that tobacco kills straptococcus bacteria?.........

Yes, but you provide a one time personal emperical experience as foundation. You provide no research or theoretical foundation.

.........Tobacco kills a lot of insects, and plants when they are exposed to it..........
    And just what does that have to do with the price of eggs in China? We aren't talking about spider mites on our houseplants neither.

..........Plus as long as the person that spits the tobacco in the other persons ear does not have strep throat, it should be OK. But I guess anyhting is possible!
    I know one thing, I wouldn't just let anybody spit in my ear, and now, I would probably use my own spit which would minimize the risk of strepto infection........

The most common bacteria found in ANY human saliva is?

I chewed tobacco for 27 years ,I won'tstart back. I know my food taste better

Nor I.

Yes, but you provide a one time personal emperical experience as foundation. You provide no research or theoretical foundation.

And just what does that have to do with the price of eggs in China? We aren't talking about spider mites on our houseplants neither.

The most common bacteria found in ANY human saliva is?
    There is no scientific foundation for many old time remedy's, but some of them work. My dads family used this rememdy for years, so it is not a one time remedy.
    The next time you are hurt in the bush, be sure to get scientific proven research for any cure you may need, and good luck!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 04-17-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WildWing
    The next time you are hurt in the bush, be sure to get scientific proven research for any cure you may need, and good luck!
    And it's so darn easy to do. Things like Bacitracin, Neosporin and Cipro are pretty easy to tote along and work wonders. If you can get a gal to nibble on your ear, well, that's a whole 'nother thing.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And it's so darn easy to do. Things like Bacitracin, Neosporin and Cipro are pretty easy to tote along and work wonders. If you can get a gal to nibble on your ear, well, that's a whole 'nother thing.
    Yeah Rick, I carry that stuff too, but if you dont have your Bob, it'a a different story. I have seen remedys on here saying a certain plant will stop bleeding, and certain plants will help a fever. Do we have proven scientific research for those remedy's, probably not.
    There are a lot of remedy's that do not have scientific support, but they still work! Just ask Bear Grylls

Bob? You don't need no stinkin' Bob. First Aid Kit. First Aid kit. Say it slowly.......Keep that stuff in your first aid kit right next to the dried Horsetail and Lambsquarter. Sheeeesh.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

"Now, them poultices be laced with feathermoss and mustard root. Mind you drop water on 'em occasional and keep 'em damp. You can pay me when you see me again, Josey Wales."

Just pack that ankle in fresh chicken poop and call me in the mornin!

I have heard about but I prefer using hydrogen peroxide for my earaches. It works great and I don't have to spit my Kodiak in my ear.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

the most common home remedy I've heard of for earache is mullein flowers steeped in olive oil. I'm fortunate for almost never having a earache so I've not tried it.

My youngest son used to get ear infections all the time, my wife told me to roll a newspaper up stick one end in his ear and light in on fire................I said, well I can't tell you what I said on this forum, but I tried it as a last resort. I've used it on him and several others thru the years with good results.

Roll sheet of newspaper in a cone, keeping one end small enough to fit in ear and the other end fairly large. Lay head down on flat surface, I use the kitchen table. Light the top and let it burn down. As it burns down the heat and smoke soothes the pain and soon you'll get a couple of?????? bursts? whoosh? I don't know how to explain that part but the ear pops and the escaping air causes it.

It may sound stupid but it works. If you don't get the whoosh the first time do it again, i've never had to do it more than twice. Generally once takes care of it.

I guess I better add......IF THE FIRE BURNS DOWN TOO LOW STOP!!!!

"Now, them poultices be laced with feathermoss and mustard root. Mind you drop water on 'em occasional and keep 'em damp. You can pay me when you see me again, Josey Wales."
    Great movie!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I'd enjoy another remake that is worth watching, something like true grit.