Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why "They" want to move to Wilderness, My answer.

Why does the fruit fall off tree? you can get scientific about it, but its easier to just move on to the bigger questions and say 'because'. I guess what i'm saying is, there are to many factors such as gravity, age, and experiences (referring to the tree) to determine why someone ticks the way they do, and why they want to do what they want to.

I just want peace and quiet. You know the kind of peace and quite you get sitting in a tree stand during deer season. Where you can hear the trees creaking from the wind. Or being at the lake with no one else around listening to the birds sing, and hearing the fish splash in the water. To me that is what appeals to me. What doesn't appeal to me is the hard work and sacrifice that goes along with living there forever. I enjoy turning the thermostat up or down depending on the temperature. I enjoy going to the sink for a drink of water, or a hot shower daily. I also enjoy going to the store to get my food. Am I too dependant on "The System" yeah sure, just like 99.9% of the population. I would rather take precautions and prepare as much as I can and enjoy the "comforts" while I can. What can I say, I'm lazy.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

So true!

I'm doing well in my job, but there's always the nagging fear of outsourcing.
    The wilderness has always been my fantasy of a refuge from the hectic life of fighting againts.
    Ralf Waldo emerson, Jack Frost etc.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

Jack Frost?.......haven't heard about him?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You haven't? Sad story. Froze to death nipping on someone's nose.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Coming out of the blue here (my first post) ... I could throw an opinion into the 'why' people want to do this. I think I might fit into that stereotype of dropping out of society a bit.

There's the philosophical and ideological reasons: Freedom. Freedom to be creative. Freedom to make mistakes. Freedom to learn from those mistakes. Freedom to experiment. Freedom to do what you want (morally/ethically) without the eye of thousands of people judging what you're doing every day.

I have my personal-building reasons: I love to learn. There's a lot of fundamental skills and knowledge that I think are very important. I want to be in a position where I not only have the capability of developing this knowledge; but also to know my time was spent well because the 'hobby' actually went to good use. I have a young son (4 years old) and I want him to know and experience so many more things than he will here in the "suburbs". I can't teach him everything because I don't know everything. But it sounds like a great way for us both to learn and spend some quality time together.

There's some personal/family responsibility feelings I have about becoming self sustainable. Sure, a lot of people look crazy talking about all of this "apocalypse" type stuff. I'm not worried that tomorrow, or the end of this year, or any specific time that we'll have a huge issue where I live (Ohio). But, there will come a time in the future, and I'm guessing around the time my son is becoming of age, that society will change a lot. If nothing else, we'll hit some energy problems and I believe people will have a hard time adjusting to whatever changes come (e.g. not being able to drive because of gas costs). Why not prepare (mentally and by life-style) ahead of time so that *if* this happens, you'll be more likely not to suffer? Not that this is my sole reason for trying to "get out" ... but to me it's a logical plan since there's very little to lose and potentially a whole lot to gain.

I've got a gut feeling that moving out to the country and becoming self-sustainable has a lot of great family and health benefits. For one, I can work at my own pace; I'm not saying work will be easier (in fact, I'll have to work harder) but for the most part, with proper planning, it'll be at my own pace. A lot of the things I imagine having to do on a regular basis are things I can do with my son. I've never paid for Cable TV but I can say that we've spent more than our fair share of time staring at screens, whether it's watching movies or playing video games, and that's something that would do us good to do without. If we can grow a decent portion of our own food, we'll eat better. If we can learn how to create our own goods that we need (such as cleaning supplies, candles for light, furniture, etc...) then we'll save money and again will probably be healthier. In general, the whole lifestyle that goes along with living self-sustainably (spelling?) is, in my opinion, a whole lot healthier and more rewarding than how we live now.

Aside from all of these reasons I've come up in my head for the past few years on "if we had land in the country we could do this...", I think the biggest thing drawing me in is some internal feeling. Watching films like 'Alone in the Wilderness' do have some romanticized feeling they bring out. I don't know why but it seems like a really peaceful way of life that I've only been able to experience over the years while camping and what-not.

Sure, maybe it's a matter of "the grass is greener on the other side" kinda thing -- both a "running from" and a "running to" situation. I personally don't plan on going about it irresponsibly, especially with a young child depending on me. Whether or not it's the right thing to do, in my mind, is a matter of figuring out a way to do it and giving it a shot. If nothing else, we can always come back and it'd be great to prove to myself what I can do with my own two hands.

I imagine many other people who seem out of place running to this lifestyle, which is the generalization I think is made here, might have their eyes set on it for some of the same reasons. Just some food for thought...
    Last edited by kurtis; 08-13-2012 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Just clarified one idea that I think was important.

Why can't you do all those things with your son now? Turn off the TV and plant some veggies even if it is a container tomato plant on the balcony of your apartment. If you own a home then put in a small garden. What keeps you from making your own things now? Look through the forum. Lot's of folks dehydrate, can, make their own leather goods, knives, clothing, candles, etc. and living in the country doesn't enable them. Their own desire enables them. You CAN teach your son no matter where you live.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

When I met and married my wife at age 53 I moved from my second rural retreat into the suburbia of a large metro area. I also moved north into a different climate zone. I spent the first 4 months covered in snow hiding in the basement organizing a workshop.

The new wife had been a hard working single mom alone for 16 years and just keeping the place clean/trimmed was her priority.

When spring came so did a container garden. I spent a lot of time on the deck in the back of the house taking stock of the 1/4 acre yard and mid summer I started a terraced herb garden in the back corner of the lot.

The tomatoes, peppers and herbs were such a hit she suggested veggies in the ground next year and each spring the garden gained a few feet with fruit trees as part of the new landscaping.

Lots of ice storms, real life blizzards, tornadoes and one inland hurricane latter and I had the whole neighborhood on gen-power with food stocks in reserve. After the second hunting season, with venison given to the close and trusted, I had suburbanites asking about "the right gun" for deer. It was not long before extra firewood appeared in back yards, closets were turned into pantries and folks wwere gathering to stand in the snow and laugh over those fools that did not realize winter came every year!

The stepsons returned from their Marine Corps duties, decided I was taking care of Mom alright and we became a close family with new grandchildren arriving peridocially. On my advisement they bought homes in simirural settings and on their own began gardening and landscaping for food and security. I realized I was being "hit up for reloads" on a regular basis and their firearms were beginning to match the free ammo choices my reloading offered.

There was actually a bit of security in knowing my family and neighbors valued my opinions and trusted my judgement in crisis. I also enjoyed the full poured concrete and steel reinforced basement of that place, even if it was in suburbia.

The wife passed away suddenly and the house in suburbia was gone. I am back in the rural setting, building retreat #3, and enjoying that too. However, heavy construction and homesteading is not as easy at 60 as it was at 30 or 45. Some old timers can do it, but some of us have to work around bad backs, bad hearts and other limiting factors. I now use machines for what used to be doen with hand tools. Life goes on.

There is no reason that even an apaprtment dweller can not make use of the small space allowed in home and on balcony to maintain some form of preperation, training and food production, even if those things are limited. For some of us it is a part of life and part of our heritage that can not be ignored or swept away.

I moved into this place and started the tearout and remodeling and had a hay bale garden the first summer, Veggies went into the ground year two and each season there is an added expiriment. Sadly, this year's effort has failed, but next year I know what I will NOT do, and Krogers is still down the road past all the local veggie stands and little old ladies selling eggs.

You make do with what you have. If you wait until the perfect situation arrives the learning curve is very steep, failure is always a single step away and everyone around you is always looking over your shoulder and asking "Are you sure you know what you are doing?".

I would much rather hear something on the order of, "You should have seen what he could grow in a pot on the balcony, imagine what we can get out of a real garden!"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Kurtis, first let me say, Hey, and Welcome.
    What you are describing has been called in the past, desire to be a "homesteader".....these days, it seems the term "Survivalist" is the cool term...I guess.

Nothing new about this feeling and desire to, as we said back in the '70 &'80's, ....Get back to the land, Do for your self, Do your own thing, Live lightly on Mother Earth.....pick your era, flag, slogan, way of life.....I believe it is a universal desire for part of the population......most likely dating back to the beginning of civilization.

Before civilization, they were already doing it..... so didn't have to worry about about "going back to it".....But I digress....

Being involved in our own(DW and family), "Homesteading" lifestyle..... of getting your land, growing, learning, trying, doing, living, for a long time, .....it is worth the effort....we did ours slowly, pay as you go, responsibly for us and our children......but had fun with this type of life style.

Remember its a mind set, not a location........

Why not stop oiver at introductions and tell us a little about your self.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...r-Introduction
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-13-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    You guys are adding a judgement to the issue. My goal was not to judge, but to understand the motivation.
    I think maybe it's in part due to media influence...................... Maybe??....................... I mean look at some of the T.V. Shows at least the classic one's anyway, like grizzly Adam's ( remember him?) Or daniel Boone, Davy crockett and such. Maybe it's a "romantic notion" of the pleasure of a "simple lifestyle" of not having to punch a time clock or have a boss looking over your shoulder mentality they have...... Who know's? As most of you know I'm a truck driver, I grew up with T.V. shows like Movin' on, B.J. and the bear, Movies like convoy and such that painted a romantic if you will picture of the "freedom of the open road" That led me to become at that time a long haul trucker, I mean I was single and getting paid to travel seemed cool. The movies however didn't really show the hard work involved in the job, bad weather, bad food, bad destinations and such.
    Maybe..... that's what motivates "them" to want to do it? I mean who wouldn't want to run around in the wood's wearing buckskins, having to do nothing other than ' Huntin' fishin' and trappin' and NOt having to do any real work?

Growing up in the country was the best ( and hardest working) times of my like I guess that in those memories I am one of "them" who would love to head for the hill's and live a 100% self sufficent, off grid lifestyle. BUT I know it's not only un realistic in todays world but financially and physically ( labor wise) not such a good idea. So my best bet is "the place" with a small home and partial self sufficency for the wife and I as soonas we can.

Sigh.........................and the wife looks cute in abuckskin dress and barefoot too......................
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    .........................................BUT I know it's not only un realistic in todays world but financially and physically ( labor wise) not such a good idea. So my best bet is "the place" with a small home and partial self sufficency for the wife and I as soonas we can.

Sigh.........................and the wife looks cute in abuckskin dress and barefoot too......................
    Well said, and agree.......

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Kurtis, first let me say, Hey, and Welcome.
    What you are describing has been called in the past, desire to be a "homesteader".....these days, it seems the term "Survivalist" is the cool term...I guess.

Nothing new about this feeling and desire to, as we said back in the '70 &'80's, ....Get back to the land, Do for your self, Do your own thing, Live lightly on Mother Earth.....pick your era, flag, slogan, way of life.....I believe it is a universal desire for part of the population......most likely dating back to the beginning of civilization.

Before civilization, they were already doing it..... so didn't have to worry about about "going back to it".....But I digress....

Being involved in our own(DW and family), "Homesteading" lifestyle..... of getting your land, growing, learning, trying, doing, living, for a long time, .....it is worth the effort....we did ours slowly, pay as you go, responsibly for us and our children......but had fun with this type of life style.

Remember its a mind set, not a location........

Why not stop oiver at introductions and tell us a little about your self.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...r-Introduction
    Thanks Hunter! I'll be sure to drop in and post a bit about myself.

And yep, I'd definitely look at it more as a homesteader as opposed to survivalist. The big difference, in my mind, being that I've got more than a "knife and backpack". We actually are trying to move in the right direction, mentally, where we live. The big problem with the location aspect is the amount of land we have available, what we're allowed to do with the land (practically nothing), and the extreme cost of taxes here. Even if we paid off a house in this area, I'd still have to come up with $2,500/year+ until the day I die just to pay for a very small chunk of land. Of course, like you implied, there's plenty of things we can do in the mean time!

I've always wondered about the paradox of so many wanting to "escape" to the wilderness. If the numbers are sufficient, it's no longer the wilderness. Statton Island was once considered wilderness.
    USN/USNTC/SD

When trebuchets are outlawed, only outlaws will have trebuchets.

Greetings from the Kingdom of An Tir and the Baroney of the 3 Mountains.

I'm not at all certain there is much difference between those that want to escape to the wilderness and those that want to prep for the coming economic collapse. Both go into it with relatively little knowledge or understanding and neither appear to be concerned about those things that are statistically more threatening like a house fire, car wreck or severe weather. It would do this old heart good for just one person to sign on and say, "I'm new and want to prepare because I've read that falls in the home are a leading cause of injury." (Deep sigh)

I'm new and want to prepare because I've read that falls in the home are a leading cause of injury because people carry the wrong kind of knife around their necks and get stabbed when they slip.

So what's the best EDC knife?

What's a EDC knife?.....
    I most likely know or knew, but I forget.

I think I just had heart palpitations. Thanks...

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am sick of dealing with all this dangerous technology. I got caught in the automatic doors at Kroger the other day and that was the last straw!

I want to run away to the wilderness where it is safe!

Does anyone know where I can get some free land near clean streams, with abundant game, no game wardens and a garden already planted?

It should be close enough to town for me to get pizza delivered and catch a buss to the mall, but not where I would have to ever meet another human unless she was a Victoria Secret babe who had gone blind.

If the land is not free it should at least be cheap so I can buy it with my insurance settlement from Kroger.

Rick, if you want to teach home safty an accedent prevention why log into a wilderness survival and disaster prep forum in the first place? There are dozens of forums that specialize in home safty, shelf building, lawn care and dweebchat.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-22-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Because I'm trying to broaden your horizons. Yes, it is difficult but I like the challenge. I could have said, "falls that occur in the wilderness," but I wanted to introduce you to new ideas. Get you to think out of the box. Or out of your boxers if the circulation is cut off.

I almost forgot....Bazinga!