Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why "They" want to move to Wilderness, My answer.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Why "They" want to move to Wilderness, My answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why people keep wanting to leave society. I think that bonding together in a strong community solves the problem better.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    No one I know who is successful at what they do regardless of what that happens to be--student, parent, carpenter, farmer, doctor, etc. and has a wide circle of friends and a rewarding relationship is interested in dropping out and leaving society behind.

I have tried to solve this riddle for years. I have never understood the desire to improve the quality of ones life by moving to the wilderness.

Lady B's statement gave my a strong clue. I have always assumed they were running "TO" wilderness. I now see that this was a false assumption........In fact they are running from perceived oppression.

The examples Lady B gives are people in control of their life (for the most part). However these same people (Successful) are a perceived extension of the system, the example being the electric utility company and the dream of being "Off-Grid".

It is not that they choose to move to the wilderness. It is that they perceive wilderness as the only way of avoiding the oppression of society. It subconscious flight for survival.

The distinction of running toward a goal vs. running for your life. It has also helped me understand why so few truly even embark on the quest.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 04-16-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    It is not that they choose to move to the wilderness. It is that they perceive wilderness as the only way of avoiding the oppression of society. It subconscious flight for survival.

Great insight Sourdough!
    Even the Dalai Lama had to bug out…

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Great insight! I have considered moving to wilderness to live at times when I was younger and after deep thought, realized that in every case I would not have been going toward a goal but rather withdrawing from a circumstance that was frustrating me. As I have aged and my health has deteriorated, I came to the realization that living in the wilderness is not practical for me at my age. My compromise has been to move to a small community in the north woods. I have the modern services that I need, while being able to enjoy a primitive enviroment. I really hate big urban areas and love the forested regions around Lake Superior.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Yes, I did not move to my homestead / start living simpler until I changed my mind from get away from it all to great better life that I can always enjoy today and come what may tommorrow.

Thanks for sharing the insite.
    Thaddius Bickerton

Its actually in the same vein as why people do a lot of things, or wish to do things. Its a perception that A will solve B, when B really has nothing to do with A. A good example of this is the world of online gaming, such as World of Warcraft. A lot of people "escape" into it in order to run away from aspects of their life they dislike. The real question needs to be is A something you can do something about or not. Obviously if you can do something about it, you should start taking action. However, if its not something you can do anything about, learning to understand and accept that is the only thing a person can do.

Well I am pretty sure that if I had to, i could be happy in an off grid wilderness situation living by myself, but only in a have to case. First of all, the girls would go into shock within 2 days, and second of all, I really like modern conveniences for everyday life. I like learning survival as a tool that I may need someday, not to live everyday.
    I think part of survival is learning to do without when you have to, but not necessarily doing without for your entire life.

I have to agree, JP. The same with alcohol and drugs. It's just an escape. You can either control life or let it control you. I admire folks that do live off grid in the wilderness because they want to. It's a lifestyle they enjoy but have to really wonder about the person that wants to live off grid because tomorrow is going to be the great apocalypse.

The only thing I'd change SD is they are not running FOR their life they are running FROM it.

I'd love to live off grid but to me that means utilizing renewable energy in the home I now have. Not shucking timber in the Northwest Territories to build a cabin with an icebox made from burlap, sawdust, reindeer moss that's 8X6, 10x8, 12X10.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

very interesting, I wonder what Ted kuzinsky, Heimo korth, chris mccandless, sylvan hart, dugout dick, miles martin, rat river trapper, etc. ran from. I think they each had or have their own reasons not necessarily running from something in every case.

If somebody wants to try it all I have to say is good luck.

Banned
    Blog Entries

You guys are adding a judgement to the issue. My goal was not to judge, but to understand the motivation.

The only people I have ever known to go off grid, was just tired of the rat race, and probably had the desire to live off the grid to boot. So eventually the day comes that they say to H*ll with it, it's time.
    I knew a very successful, very intelligent aeronautical engineer that did that. He seemed to want the challenge as much as getting out of the rat race. He said it was the perfect way to finish his life here on earth.
    Now, he was quite wealthy and was able to get solar equipment, and had lot's of the comforts even though he was off grid. He said he was happier than he had ever been, so if done right, I am sure it would be a very pleasurable way to live.
    He also said that he was tired of traffic, neighbors, and feeling like he was living by the rules of the man.
    But this is a lot different than poor boyin it. That is a lot of work, and a tough life for most, so I think a lot of it is the challenge as much as anything!

You just lost me. I didn't say they were right or wrong other then those that profess the end of times. That's not the case with most that come on here and report they are running off to the wilderness, often with nothing in hand, and living in the wild. I'm not being judgmental because I said they are running from life. That's their motivation. They are trying to escape.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I actaully think a lot of folks see it as a carefree poetic way to live, and really don't think about all of the hard work, isolation, and financial issues that go with off grid living. It is a lot of fun to think about and discuss, and even dream about, but a lot of dreamers fail to see things the way they really are until they are already in a situation and then realize wow, this is a tough life that I wasn't ready for!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am seeing a distinct difference in personal definitions of "off grid".

Are we speaking of off the utilities and convinineces or are we talking of hiding out with Ted Kaczynski in a shack in Montana?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I think I have a valid answer for that question, (having moved to an urban area (SF Bay area) from a rural area (New Gloucester, ME). People in urban environments tend to be selfish, self centered turds who think that the world revolves around them. There is also a great deal of apathy and entitlement with the "government will save us" attitude. I was brought up to be self sufficient and so I tend to have great distain for these people. There are a few who are awake or awakening to whom I dole out as much information, training and when possible supplies. People want a better life style and they can't get it in an urban environment. Many don't necessarily want to run away to the wilderness as much as they want to run away to a rural or true suburban environment.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    You guys are adding a judgement to the issue. My goal was not to judge, but to understand the motivation.
    I actually don't mean it in a judgmental way. The motivation can be a desire to escape/run from something that they do not like about their life. That thought process leads different people to different conclusions. Some end in nothing more than a desire for X, some end in more tragically (drugs/alcohol), and some people do succeed (as in they find a place and do escape from some things). The key to remember here is that if it is a desire to escape/run from X, then a person needs to make sure X is not something that will come with them (ie emotional issues). Now, my judgement on the issue is that I believe a lot of people who come in with a very vague question or comment on wanting to get out of society and live in the woods as survival situation are either dreaming or trying to get away from something, again though, that last part is my opinion.

I also to agree with Wildthang that most people have a romanticized concept of living in "off grid" (which, as Kyrat pointed out should be defined to prevent arguements over semantics). I mean even I would love to live like they did in Legends of the Fall. But even then, I have very little real knowledge of what it would take to live even in a small town that is a little isolated, so that idea of living like that isn't the reality of the situation.

Now, I do believe some people do just want to get away like the person Wildthang talked about, but I would think they would come in and ask in a different manner. Probably with more interest in those of you who are living like that. If they really had it in their head to move, I would think they would ask who lives like they want to and then ask direct questions. This part is opinion though.

Default Not meaning to sound pop psych...

Escaping once in a while to recharge your batteries and needing to 'running away' for good, are two different things, IMO.
    Having had a range of feelings regarding "society" throughout my life one thing became clear; you can run away from others but you can't run away from yourself. Whatever issues you have, you'll be carrying them around wherever you go. If you were unhappy with others, you'll be unhappy all by yourself...eventually.
    You are the ground zero of your inner happiness. People and fortunes will come and go, but you're the constant in your life til the day you die. Get comfy with yourself and don't give away the power to anyone/anything else to make you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    I think I have a valid answer for that question, (having moved to an urban area (SF Bay area) from a rural area (New Gloucester, ME). People in urban environments tend to be selfish, self centered turds who think that the world revolves around them. There is also a great deal of apathy and entitlement with the "government will save us" attitude. I was brought up to be self sufficient and so I tend to have great distain for these people. There are a few who are awake or awakening to whom I dole out as much information, training and when possible supplies. People want a better life style and they can't get it in an urban environment. Many don't necessarily want to run away to the wilderness as much as they want to run away to a rural or true suburban environment.
    you're not alone in this assessment.

A huge part of survival is adaptability.
    Make the best of where you are, learn to live with it and be happy. Choosing the lesser of two evils still means you have a choice.
    You're wasting a lot of time, Sarky, being unhappy in a place you chose to move to. You're not getting that time back, you know.

Miss B, It is not where I am living that is the problem, It IS the other people who choose to be scum in our society especially in the urban environment. Yes I know there are scum everywhere, they just seem to be more concentrated here.
    I know what hunts you.

Perfectly said Sourdough!

I've always seen the oppression of the masses; The Tyranny of the greater society.
    I've often, more so recently, thought of leaving society for the woods.

Thanks for putting it so eloquently
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!