Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survival Question

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Pockets, pockets pockets....did everyone forget about pockets?????
    Yeah, easy to leave your bag at home....... but pockets?
    Well, the OP said kit so I took it to my car kit and my car is always within 500yds of me. As far as pockets, I do keep a small flashlight, knife, lighter, matches, and way more than often then not I have my CCW accessory.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

"survival kit" to me is an emergency, and redundant, set of kit. Usually smaller stuff.

My pack is always shelter, water, and food.

Shelter is a silnylon tarp 10'x12'. a good survival blanket,fire starting kit, rain gear, extra warm clothes.

Water is a water purifier, a canteen, a billy can,fire starting kit, a drinking cup, and a collapsed 2 qt canteen.

Food, is usually a couple mountain house entrees,fire starting kit, a can of corned beef, a can of cream of mushroom, some bisquick, some oil, and seasoning salt. I have a cheap aluminum plate, a canteen cup, and a billy can to cook.

I'm still working up a bannock recipe to replace the bisquick, I'm open to suggestions.

ETA- I, of course, have cutting tools. A wyoming saw(awesome), a big 9" knife, a 4" knife, and a swiss army knife. These fall into food, water, and shelter according to there use.
    Last edited by Winter; 04-16-2012 at 11:17 PM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Well in my pockets, I always have a knife, lighter, and a paracord belt. I could not stand to carry that thing Rick has all day at work in my pocket. When I am not at work, add Glock to the list. I always have my backpack in my truck, and am not too far away from it at any time, but I guess I should somehow add a small compass, and a mirror. I cannot handle large bulky items in my jean pockets while in the office, and I refuse to wear a fanny pack in public, so this is somewhat of a problem for me.
    I dont wear those big baggy pants with 14 pockets, so a large bulky kit is hard to carry!

You have to start thinking out of the box, Pedro. You don't HAVE to carry it in your pocket. You could clip it to a belt loop or a belt. I wear cargo type pants a lot so dropping it in a cargo pocket is pretty easy. For your jeans you could use a small pouch that attaches to your belt. You could also break the components down so that some fit your pocket and some of the larger items in a pouch. You already carry some of the items so adding a mirror and compass should be pretty easy. It's just handy for me to carry it that way. The important thing is to have the items you deem important on you at all times.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You have to start thinking out of the box, Pedro. You don't HAVE to carry it in your pocket. You could clip it to a belt loop or a belt. I wear cargo type pants a lot so dropping it in a cargo pocket is pretty easy. For your jeans you could use a small pouch that attaches to your belt. You could also break the components down so that some fit your pocket and some of the larger items in a pouch. You already carry some of the items so adding a mirror and compass should be pretty easy. It's just handy for me to carry it that way. The important thing is to have the items you deem important on you at all times.
    I absolutely agree Rickster. I think I can find a polished metal mirror for my wallet, and maybe a button compass that will fit my pocket. Like I said, I dont wear cargo pants so I dont have all of those pockets.
    Thanks for the suggestions Mi Hermano!

heck man, wear it as a necklace. there ya go, a survival necklace. Now watch the copycats.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    heck man, wear it as a necklace. there ya go, a survival necklace. Now watch the copycats.
    1) Speaking of wearing it as a necklace... I'm looking for something stylish for my Fire Steel. I have my Swiss Army Knife setup as
    my Key Chain Fob.

It's amazing what survival gear you find when cleaning the garage!

2) I just found 3 spools of electrical wire, from soldering projects. That's all the snares I'll ever need to make!
    3) Wire Cutters. (To be replaced with a multi-tool soon!)
    4) 1 Roll of pink nylon twine ;P I'll have colorful Snares and Nets!
    5) I just found my decorative General Lee Pocket knife.

I'd hate to use it for chores, but it's there until it's replaced with a Buck knife. BTW, It's ridiculously sharp for a decorative pocket knife!

6) 1 Stainless Steel Bourbon flask. (for heating water)
    7) 6 1 Gal Zip lock bags.
    8) 1 Zip Lock bag full of cotton balls.
    9) Neosporin
    10) Toilet paper
    11) Leather gloves
    12) Dish washing gloves. (I just read to use these when Field dressing hogs)
    13) Head Lamp
    14) Kashi Meal replacement bars
    15) Zip Lock Bag with 2 pair of socks.

16) My Bow-Tech Razor Edge compound bow, with true glow sight and Whisker-Bisket arrow rest is in route!

Dang that's more than 10, and I'm still working on my bag!
    Last edited by jcullen24; 04-17-2012 at 07:45 PM.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

1: My kukri. Which also has a skinning blade and a sparking blade in the sheath. It's not a modern one, it's an Indonesian import.
    2: a 100 yard spool of waxed non flavored dental floss. I have used it to make bow string, drop lines for fishing and various other things in the past and i keep several sewing needles in the box with it.
    3: a roll of 55 gallon, clear heavy duty industrial garbage bags.
    4: a sauce pan.
    5: a ziplock bag that has various fishing hooks and sinkers in it.
    6: an empty three liter soda bottle. I have used them for water yes, but i have also used them to make minnow and crayfish traps in the past.
    7: a set of two files. one a half round and one a triangle file. They are great for sharpening my blades, but i have also used them for various kinds of wood, bone, and occasionally stone shaping.
    8: a toothbrush.
    9: an extra set of clothes, ie. jeans, a fleece, a bandana, socks, and an a frame under shirt.
    10: a pair of needle nose vice grips.

Quote Originally Posted by randy
    Man! It's started already. Ranger Rick....er...I mean, Army Ranger Rick (have to avoid that whole lawsuit thingie) has one. You should talk to him about stealing your idea!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

ya know there can be two groups of monkeys on two different islands, separated by miles of ocean and come up with the same idea. That goes to show you that even monkeys can tap into the cosmic conscience. LOL.

Well I always carry a edc knife on me and a pocket sized magnifying glass in my wallet. I also carry a paracord bracelet.

I don't think so. I don't think Army Ranger Rick has a conscience, cosmic or otherwise. Did I just say that? Shamey on me. And comparing him to monkeys sorta insults monkeys.

you're the only Rick I know. I've heard the name "army ranger rick" bandied around but I don't know who it is.

Prithee, thank thee the Lord for the smallest of favors lest we are once again besieged by his Italian wife and skiing in the Italian Alps and being an American ex patriot rhetoric. I should stop. I think he googles his own name late into the night.

I don't think so. I don't think Army Ranger Rick has a conscience, cosmic or otherwise. Did I just say that? Shamey on me. And comparing him to monkeys sorta insults monkeys.
    Really SHORT monkeys.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

ya know there can be two groups of monkeys on two different islands, separated by miles of ocean and come up with the same idea. That goes to show you that even monkeys can tap into the cosmic conscience. LOL.
    So evolution is to blame for lawsuits!!!!!!!!!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Oh, dang guys. That blanket roll/backpack just rolled down the hill and into the river. Oh, dang guys. that blanket roll/backpack just fell out of the boat. Oh, dang guys. That bear just ran off with your blanket roll/backpack. Now....

Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gone do till SAR comes after you? Dead boys, dead boys.

Grab my ranger cord where it is tied to me and pull it back?

or go find a sharp rock and make me some abo kit.

I find ranger cords on almost everything these days, and if it is a survival situation those aren't coming off just anywhere. Not till I get where I'm going probably. I have spent to many days in the bush sleeping sitting up with a poncho over my head to worry about comfort camp,

If it is survival / bob time then I'm goning somewhere and on max effort till I get there.

I was listing a kit, I carry enough in my pockets / belt that nothing more would be necessary, just a nice upgrade.

I also have a "medecine bag" that has a good basic sort of things in it that I wear to the woods / and most other places. I guess it could be called a necklace cause there is also a knife on the same cord and usually a small led light cliped to it just cause I use a knife and light all the time and if sitting it is easier than standing up to dig in my pockets or work it out of a belt sheath.

And sorry for a smart alek answer, but truth be told I do think and practice stone age things and a sharp rock would be the starting point if butt nekked in the woods. From there fire and such would happen, or id die.

Being dead ain't no big deal, however the pain associated with dying can be a real pain.
    Last edited by Thaddius Bickerton; 04-18-2012 at 12:01 AM.
    Thaddius Bickerton

This is what I carry in my "canoe bag" along with food and water but I dont carry it every day, just canoeing.

First aid kit
    fire kit
    water bag and bottle + purification tabs
    water filter drinking straw
    casualty blanket
    50' paracord + 100' bank line 300lb test
    compass
    whistle
    signal mirror
    energy bars and Emergen-C powder
    fixed-blade carbon steel knife and folder
    multi-tool
    knife sharpener
    duct tape
    surveyors tape
    paper and pencil
    candle and chemlight sticks
    coffee filters
    snare wire
    extra batteries
    mini PSK
    shamwow towels

All this fits inside one of those tactical messenger bags like this one:
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/BAG225-1.html

I have one of those fold down medic bags with pretty much the same stuff plus a 5x7 tarp behind the seat of my truck.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Would you look at that?! That bear grabbed Thad's backpack! There it goes. Oops. There goes Thad.......LET GO OF THE CORD!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

you're the only Rick I know. I've heard the name "army ranger rick" bandied around but I don't know who it is.
    ARGGHHH!!! Don't get me started!!!

Pssst...check out my blog on him!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin