Thread: Baseball, The Keystone Cops and 5 Year Olds.

Default Baseball, The Keystone Cops and 5 Year Olds.

That title probably peaked your curiosity didn't it. My youngest grandson is 5, almost 6 and we went to his first baseball game this morning. I honestly haven't laughed that hard in a very long time. This is a combination T ball, pitch ball. Each kid gets four pitches and if he doesn't get a hit then they set up the T ball stand for him. At this age they are trying to teach the fundamentals.

I didn't count but there were probably 15-18 kids on each team and they all fielded when it was their turn. Whenever a ball would get hit the entire mob went after it. It was a remake of the Keystone Cops. If you're too young to know who they are try a school of fish. When the mob arrived at the ball they all dove on it. I laughed 'till I cried.

My grandson caught the better part of a pitch, rounded first and headed straight for third across the pitcher's mound. After the game I asked him if there was a reason he didn't go to 2nd base. He said there was no one on third and his way was faster. You can't fault solid reasoning like that. We grown ups have rules and white lines that we have to follow but leave it to a kid to figure out the easiest way to do.

One kid scored 4 outs at home plate. Surely a world's record. He just stood there with the ball as four kids ran into him. Nothing better the fourplay at home I always say.

It was a hoot.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks for the chuckle!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

It's fun to sit and watch youngins. Kind of makes us feel young as well........until we go to stand up and the arthritis kicks in.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would much rather watch a bunch of little kids play ball than the pros.....They are having pure fun....for the sake of fun.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I agree Hunter. Those kids are just having fun. I will admit T ball is alot of fun to watch. My favorite was when a kid would get bored in the outfield and sit down and play in the dirt.

Blog Entries

I have no idea of the rules of engagement in Baseball type stuff, but it's great to hear kids can be kids allow us old farts a window into their world for an enjoyable afternoon.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I was at a soccer field complex and one of the fields was set up for the youngest kids there. It was a riot watching them play. Same thing, there was a mob of about 6 or 8 kids (3v3 or 4v4, don't remember), and they would just surround the ball and kick at it. I actually hung out and watched for a good 15 minutes. I was supposed to be at another game to watch, but it was too entertaining.

Watching Pee Wee football is also a real treat, the kids have all the equipment, so much so that if they fall down they can't get back up......

There is something hilarious for the head coach to try to get his top linebacker to stop crying........LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

A lot of the kids didn't know how to stand in the box. It's kinda funny to see the coach pick up his clean up batter and turn him so he's facing the right direction. Or chase him down the third base line after a hit to try and get him to run toward first. There was one kid that if he hit the ball he ran all the bases. It didn't matter fair or foul, short or long he run all the bases. One of the coaches had to head him off at second to get him to go back and bat or take first base, whichever.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I have no idea of the rules of engagement in Baseball type stuff, but it's great to hear kids can be kids allow us old farts a window into their world for an enjoyable afternoon.
    Considering I am lost with Cricket, Baseball is pretty easy to understand.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

My son started in his last year of eligibility with Little League (later playing Dixie Youth and Babe Ruth baseball), so we didn't get to see him play Tee Ball, but we did see several Tee Ball games on an adjacent diamond. My late father-in-law (may he rest in peace) was a major baseball aficionado, and he laughed so hard that his sides hurt.

Fast-forward. We did get to see our grandson play Tee Ball, and it was every bit as fun to watch as Rick indicated. One little fellow took an enthusiastic swing at the ball. He missed entirely, but his momentum took him all the way around and he hit it on the second pass! These kids could teach a graduate-level course in Creative Base-Running!

Thanks for activating the old memory files, Rick! 'Twas a real pleasure to review them.
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 04-19-2012 at 04:27 PM.