Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isn't the dust in fluorescent lamps poisenous?

Default Isn't the dust in fluorescent lamps poisenous?

If so, somebody needs to tell these guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy09c...e_gdata_player

Flourescent lights contain Mercury Vapor that when broken may be inhaled. The EPA as ruled that the energy efficiency of flourescent bulbs outweighs the negative of the Mercury Vapor. If you consult light manufacturers, they will tell you to evacuate your home if one breaks until your home has been cleared of the Mercury Vapor. Some will even recommend having the fire dept or a company to come out to test for it. Most people chalk that up to them playing it safe legally and liability wise. I just don't use them in my home.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

If you will remember, Algore was pushing for fluorescents in every home (he has stock in several companies that make them) I have made the leap to LED. If you are trying to cut energy consumption and have a long lasting bulb LED is the way to go. The CF bulbs don't last as long as they claim and will poison the environment when you dispose of it.
    I know what hunts you.

Well, India has a lot of people, seems Darwin may be at work here.....Dumases.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    If you will remember, Algore was pushing for fluorescents in every home (he has stock in several companies that make them)
    One of the things that has kept me on this board is the lack of political nonsense. With that said, and with all due respect to SARKY, this particular line of "reasoning" was generated by politicos to further a political objective, not a factual one.

In keeping with the "no politics" requirement of the Board, I will say no more.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 04-13-2012 at 03:23 PM.

ALGORE is not a politician He is a spokesperson for several companies that are supposed to be the be all and end all in energy saving and alternative energy sources.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    ALGORE is not a politician He is a spokesperson for several companies that are supposed to be the be all and end all in energy saving and alternative energy sources.
    Again, what I said...

This is rapidly degrading into a political "conversation" [yeah, right], so I will say no more.

I think the light bulbs may be the least of there concern lol.... or might be why they are so messed up in the head.....
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

No, no, no. That's just the smoke portion of "smoke and mirrors". They aren't really breaking bulbs. It's just an illusion. Man! You guys will fall for anything.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Man! You guys will fall for anything.
    Sigh! Would that that be only true!

Population control for the poor I guess. It would be all over the news if it occurred in the US. Over there seems they are allowed to self eliminate
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Population control for the poor I guess. It would be all over the news if it occurred in the US. Over there seems they are allowed to self eliminate
    [Holding both hands firmly over mouth so they cannot possibly type any fact-based rebuttal...]

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    [Holding both hands firmly over mouth so they cannot possibly type any fact-based rebuttal...]
    Wise counsel......Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Wise counsel......Carry on.

Buahahahahaa! Man you gotta love this place, only here could a vid of some crazy dudes from India turn into a political debate! You guys are a bunch of nuts, but I love ya in a non brokeback mountain kind of way

Here's the EPA's recommended method of cleaning up a broken CFL.
    http://epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html
    And these are better than incandescents how???

They aren't, in fact , they have found that in New England fuel bills for heat have gone up because an incandescent bulb gives off heat where as a CFL does not. The incandescent gave off enough heat during the winter months to require (no matter how small) less fuel for heat (remember "easy bake" ovens?
    I know what hunts you.

We used to stick an incandescent trouble light under the hood in the winter so the thermostat wouldn't freeze. Back in the day before all this fancy smancy antifreeze stuff.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    We used to stick an incandescent trouble light under the hood in the winter so the thermostat wouldn't freeze. Back in the day before all this fancy smancy antifreeze stuff.
    That's how I keep the things in the back of my work truck from freezing on the few occasions that we get hard freezes. Expanding water inside brass fittings and wands gets rather expensive.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    That's how I keep the things in the back of my work truck from freezing on the few occasions that we get hard freezes. Expanding water inside brass fittings and wands gets rather expensive.
    In Florida?...........LOL