Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you do in a lightning storm?

Not that there is anything wrong with a pinkish light.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

At least he wasn't engulfed by a pinkish hong.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The addressed this some at the NOAA Skywarn class last night; similar content here:
    http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm
    There is a link to an outside article worth reading.

52%f of US lightning fatalities occur indoors but way more than half of people are inside during a storm.

If everyone could have gone with me on any of the service calls I had to make because of lightening they would build a rubber room and sit inside during a lightening storm. Here are a few things I've seen inside homes (lightening strikes, okay?).

1. Fuses blown out of a fuse box and embedded in the back of a chair where the man was sitting moments before.
    2. Clocks and other devices fused to the top of the television.
    3. Wire that contained no metal. Only insulation with pin holes every few inches and the metal turned into "bb's".
    4. A woman whose face was severely burned from talking on the phone during a lightening storm. (The phone didn't fair well either).
    5. Smiling HIVAC guys and TV repairmen.

Stay away from your electronics during an electrical storm. Stay off the phone (unless it's cordless or cellular).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have also heard of people getting hit while taking a shower, I guess anything is possible with lightning! My ex wife was shocked by the stove one time when there was a close strike, but sadley it was a low level strike

It isn't unusual at all for homes with older plumbing. All of that metal piping is a great conductor.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    It isn't unusual at all for homes with older plumbing. All of that metal piping is a great conductor.
    I have fixed a few well pumps that were hit by lightning! And they dont stick out of the ground very far either, around 3 feet!

That probably got the pump through the electric wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That probably got the pump through the electric wire.
    In some cases it never harmed any other circuit in the house except for the well pump, so I'm not so sure of that!

I think Rick could just stretch his hong over his head in a lightning storm, h*ll not even lightning would hit that!

Since the well casing provides the best route to ground it's probable that the lightening chose that path because of it. It being a wet, metal casing makes it all the more appealing. I obviously have no idea what the wiring layout is and it could certainly have struck the top of the casing. It just seems more likely that it traveled the wiring to get to the casing. The pump was just in the way. If you've repaired multiple pumps in this scenario then it seems even more likely that would be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Check those mushrooms again. I don't think those were Morels.