Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best guard dog you ever had?

Default Whats the best guard dog you ever had?

I am planning on getting a dog within the next year, and I want this one to be a guard dog with the ability to sense threats, and act accordingly. I have not owned a dog for a long time, and so far, the best guard dog I ever had was a male Border collie. He was never trained, and he was one of those natural born watch dogs.
    When somebody pulled up in a car, and he didn't like them, they did not get out of the car. He would go from a loyal ole dude to a snarling slobbering beast at the drop of a hat. And in almost all cases, he was right about that person who was trapped in their car, becaue I didn't trust them either.
    He was a rare case, because I have owned other Border Collies, and they were not near the watchdog he was.
    I may get a German Shepherd next time, whadya think?

Heya, Wildthang!

I guess it depends on what one means by "guard dog". The most courageous "guard-dog" I've ever had -- no surprise -- was a German Shepherd by the name of Baron. He would have attempted to tackle an elephant if he thought it was necessary to protect me and my family.

However, to validate the saying It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog, probably the best "guard-dog" I ever had - combining courage and brains - was a Shetland Sheep Dog by the name of Shadow. When a gang of perps broke into our house while we were at work, Shadow ran directly to my father-in-law's house, five blocks away, and started raising heck on his back porch. Long story short, my father-in-law called the police, who arrived at my home just in time to catch the perps exiting the house with our property in their hands.

That resulted in one of the shortest criminal trials on record...

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 04-24-2012 at 04:43 PM.

"he was right about that person who was trapped in their car, becaue I didn't trust them either."

Dogs are in no way,a good judge of charactor.That is a falsehood.
    The dog was most likely acting the way it was because of your actions to the people or the situation.
    JMO,but I thing sheperds make the best guard dogs.
    I can tell you my husky is in no way a guard dog.lol

About the best you can hope for is an alarm dog. Putting your trust in a dog to protect you or your property is misplaced trust. There have actually been studies that show burglars don't mind guard dogs. They have ways around them. Unless they've been trained of course.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

A "Thundering Herd of Blood'thirsty trained ATTACK geese" will but the fear of God in Rambo. But they were dinner for a wolf that took one every 4 days.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 04-24-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    A "Thundering Herd of Blood'thirsty trained ATTACK geese" will but the fear of God in Rambo. But they were dinner for a wolf that took one every 4 days.
    Yeah you got a point there Sour! I also heard that guiney's make really good watch birds, but I have never been around them. Somebody told me that they will raise cane at anything that moves!
    Besides, gooses poop too much
    Last edited by Wildthang; 04-24-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    About the best you can hope for is an alarm dog. Putting your trust in a dog to protect you or your property is misplaced trust. There have actually been studies that show burglars don't mind guard dogs. They have ways around them. Unless they've been trained of course.
    Rick I know a dog is not always going to protect me and my family against all attackers, but was hoping that if I am not home, he would attack a perp and protect the girls to some degree! If I am at home, I will call him down and deal with them my own way for sure! I would always expect him to let us know if somebody is snoopin around of course.

That is a fact. Guineafowl are crazy loud. They eat ticks, too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That is a fact. Guineafowl are crazy loud. They eat ticks, too.
    HA, didn't know that! Maybe I'll get a german guinea attack bird and he can spit ticks all over those perps and make noise

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    A "Thundering Herd of Blood'thirsty trained ATTACK geese" will but the fear of God in Rambo.
    Heh-heh-heh! Agreed, Sourdough!

And for "alarm animals", may I nominate a flock of guineafowl?

Daniel, Daniel, Daniel. You actually have to read the posts. Yes you may.

A dog would be more apt to protect if someone is home. However, if no one is home then an intruder will toss him a couple of doggie treats and become his bestest friend. A dog is no challenge for a pro. He might keep the amatuer out but not someone really intent on taking your stuff.

Labs make noise, and a prep could trip over them in the dark....I do all the time.....

Best guard dog we ever had was a shepherd mix, who would go from lover kids dog to a fired eyed, snarling, hair raising, people stopper.
    Miss that dog....and all my other dogs.....

I vote guineas as well, or even a couple of chickens wondering around......Greese are just plain mean ....to everybody!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Actaully a lot of the small breeds are good alarm dogs, but I just like big dogs that bite!

Those little bis tards all have a Napoleon complex. The only dogs I ever had any trouble with the whole time I worked outside were those blasted Chihuahuas. Those things would go all ninja on you in a heart beat.

Those little bis tards all have a Napoleon complex. The only dogs I ever had any trouble with the whole time I worked outside were those blasted Chihuahuas. Those things would go all ninja on you in a heart beat.
    Yeah buddy, none of those Cha hua hua's are gonna be in my house! Those dogs make me nervous just being in the same room with them!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What!!!!

You want a good alarm/guard dog and then summarily dismiss what everyone considers the best breed of the bunch????

Get two of thos little mexican K9s and turn them lose in the house and quit worrying!

Besides, they are a perfect fit in a dutch oven if times get tough.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

i HAVE TO GO WITH THE BORDER COLLIE ALSO. BEST GUARD DOG I EVER HAD.

Anything that bounces when it barks is not a dog lol, best guard dog we ever had was our bloodhound. She was in a pen most of the time, but as soon as a cars wheels touched our driveway (which is about an 1/8 of a mile long) you would know. She REALLY did not like strange men, but she also had a kind of a sense for some people she really didn't like, people we didn't really like either lol. If dad was gone for some reason mom would bring her inside and she would sit by the door on the tile, never wander through the house, just sit by the door. I am more than confident she would put fear into the heart of anybody that tried to break into the house, and I have no doubt that they would of regretted it after being tackled to the ground by a 150 lb bloodhound. Sadly she passed away a few years ago due to old age, she lived to be 12 years old, which is pretty old for a big dog.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    She REALLY did not like strange men
    Man, she would have BIG problems on this forum then.