Thread: Rhode Island foraging questions

Default Rhode Island foraging questions

I'm wondering if there's any of the following that are edible in rhode island, not been able to find any information.

Looking for edible urchins, sea cucumbers, and truffles?

Also anyone got any recommendations for where to find squid to fish here in rhode island?

1. be careful of anything you eat off the immediate seashore. A lot of it is contaminated. If you aren't an open water diver, look over the area mighty carefully befrore eating sea urchins and sea cucumbers or even Irish moss you may find on the beach or in tide pools.

2. Truffles? Inland. And not without something that can sniff them out. Though I suspect Rick might tell you the nearest gourmet candy store might have some readily available. LOL.

3. Squid to fish with? The frozen section of the grocery store is where I get mine -if the bait shop is out- and I think he gets it at the grocery store too and marks it up. Depending on what you're fishing for in Rhode Island, squid may not be the best bait. Are you offshore in a boat or fishing from the beach?

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    1. be careful of anything you eat off the immediate seashore. A lot of it is contaminated. If you aren't an open water diver, look over the area mighty carefully befrore eating sea urchins and sea cucumbers or even Irish moss you may find on the beach or in tide pools.

2. Truffles? Inland. And not without something that can sniff them out. Though I suspect Rick might tell you the nearest gourmet candy store might have some readily available. LOL.

3. Squid to fish with? The frozen section of the grocery store is where I get mine -if the bait shop is out- and I think he gets it at the grocery store too and marks it up. Depending on what you're fishing for in Rhode Island, squid may not be the best bait. Are you offshore in a boat or fishing from the beach?
    1. Yes many things are, I got a few diver friends and I was going to ask them if they can get me some. I see small urchins all the time, but I am not sure of their edibility nor their toxicology. Figured it wouldn't hurt.

2. I was afraid of the dreaded truffle hunting pig. I figured it's cheaper to get my own fresh truffles rather then some of the local stores. (100 bucks a pound.) Don't think anything I can get for free is worth such a price.

3. Squid to eat. I make a very nice seafood gumbo dirty rice using squid. I am also looking for their ink. Most store bought is missing the insides, least that I've come across. Figure if I can find fresh jigged squid I can get good ink for pastas and such.

RI doesn't have truffles... You can eat the urchins, just stay away from polluted areas. Check out the DEM's website for up to date info on shellfish bans and that will give you a better insight of where to go. A squid is very easy to get in RI. If you live in South county you can head to Galilee area and get it fresh, practically off the boat.

Yeah, I was thinking of the town dock down there. They get them from the boats already cleaned.

Shame RI lacks truffles :/