Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats everyones recommendations on the best tasting wild edibles?

Default Whats everyones recommendations on the best tasting wild edibles?

One of my favorite things to eat while on the trail are blackberries. One has to be very careful when it comes to foraging berries, there are many different poisonous variations, such as pokeweed and they look like blueberries, not only is the berry poisonous but the whole plant is also and can wreck havoc on your nervous system. Nightshade is also another very dangerous berry, and can even cause death if consumed. These are just a few of the many.
    Got Survival? We do! www.johnnybugout.com

Linky, pick on edible and medicinal plants in the left column.

Some parts of pokeweed are edible if prepared properly.
    Last edited by intothenew; 04-14-2012 at 07:38 AM.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

The Linky no worky but I'm sure many on here including myself have had Pokeweed. You can purchase it canned locally. Cooking it is a process that involves multiple changes of water but it has been consumed for eons. There are so many plants available that don't offer a risk that I no longer consume it but lot's of folks do.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I like blueberries and morel mushrooms.

Bonehead on my part, I linked to an Appb. I fixxy.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

The rule of thumb is that 90% of all black/blue berries are edible and all segmented berries are edible (blackberries, raspberries & mulberries) also only 10% of red berries are edible.
    I know what hunts you.

I'll admit I'm not entirely certain but I've heard that 90% of all statistics are made up 50% of the time.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I like wild onions, blackberrys, ripe persomons, sassafras tea, and muskidines.

I guess you learn something new everyday, I didnt know you could eat pokeweed at all. And yes, morels are amazing!
    Got Survival? We do! www.johnnybugout.com

blackberries,blackrasberries,morels,blueberries&wi ld strawberries

Wild leeks, wild ginger, wood sorel, dandelion, blackberries, raspberries, wild strawberries, purslane, pine needle tea,
    cattail shoots.

I was in Madison, Fl and was walking the homestead. I saw a plant with leaves that looked familiar and looked up opposing mittens as how I remembered it from eattheweeds.com. Sure enough it was sassafras. Also, we harvested poke weed, which was all over the property. I was told not to harvest anything with red on it and keep it to the young and tender. My buddy, who has eaten the stuff plenty, says just boil it and change the water till the water is clear.

Down here I am still learning. I like the fox and muscadine grapes. I eat the tendrils of a lot of plants and hearts of saw palmetto and cabbage palm. I eat sawgrass, But that gets woody after a bite or two. We have wild citrus and papaya down here also. While the oranges are sour. The grapefruit is damned good. We marinade our camp food in sour orange and grapefruit.

The woods down here are loaded with edibles. I am learning the eatable from the edible. LOl

Forgot wild grapes.

I love foraging and harvesting from the wild!!!!

some that I always harvest and eat fresh, freeze, dry or can for use are................. blueberries, blackberries, huckleberries, salmon berries, salal berries, oregon gape berries, chanterelle and pine mushrooms.

I am so lucky to have all these available on my property or within walking distance from my cabin!

Wild asparagus
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Last edited by RandyRhoads; 04-22-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Ditto on the morels and asparagus, and where in the sam heck did you find that ginormous asparagus???
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Next to my house. It looked like a couple fused together. Pounds and pounds growing now, trying to can a bunch but it's not going so well. Can't get the canning down good.

wow, we do not have wild asparagus here, but I do have my own asparagus bed.

Canning of them was not too tasty.

I found that drying or freezing was better in preserving the flavor.

though i do know someone who canned hot, spicey asparagus pickles for use in Ceasars. They were not bad.

I find it groing in fence rows back home, I love me some fresh asparagus about as much as morels!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Blackberries!
    I have a long way to go to be able to identify anything else, But I know what Blackberries look like
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!