Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One of my guys was robbed

You guys are going about this thing the wrong way. Deductions. That's how you play. Deductions. On paper I'm a blind, deaf, 90 year veteran's widow with four kids under 8. I'm rakin' in the dough.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I agree with income taxes being too high as well. I gross 1250-1300, but only get to take home about 825-850. Another set of taxes that are too high now are my property taxes. That darn thing saw a 57.6% increase over the previous two years and that is after the county auditor said my home devalued by 33,900. Mmakes me sick thinking about it!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I love sales tax too especially for automobiles. In our state a automobile is taxed when it's bought new and then again when it's sold second hand and then again and again until it's scrapped. It's give me a nice feeling because at least I know these taxes are being properly managed. Just think how a guy would feel if taxes were (gasp, I shudder at the thought) being squandered.

You guys are living in the wrong state. Real estate taxes went down here. Our state can even pay its bills.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I payed in 20K of taxes year before last, and around 16K the last 2 years. Now that I have payed off most of my debts, I have no deductions to speak of, so taxes are eating me up. I beleive the taxation system is designed so that you must be in debt or pay dearly! I am about ready to move to Costa Rica

Buena suerte. Goce de ella allí!

I can't complain about my property taxes, it's fairly reasonable here in rural northern michigan unlike other parts of the state. Although I especially enjoy how taxing property once a year became "outdated" so they came up with winter and summer taxes. All kidding aside the one thing that concerns me about taxes is it is never enough for the "them". When "they" gets it all then and only then will it be enough.

You know taxes are entirely too complicated when the IRS has to install special help numbers for commercial tax preparers, which are largely former IRS agents.

You know life is unfair when you go for your IRS audit and find the auditor is the kid you used to give wedgies to a couple of times a week.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

All I have to say is a man owns his life, and the fruit of his labors.

Taking one or the other from him is either murder or theft.

A man also owes his debts and those he needs to pay to call himself an honorable man. But that man makes his debts, not someone else in his name.

Thad.
    Thaddius Bickerton

I honestly don't mind paying taxes. I enjoy the protection the military provides as well as things like roads and bridges and libraries and sewers and on and on. I do think the tax code is entirely out of hand and needs a desperate rewrite. It should incorporate off shore corporations into the tax paying fold. If you make money here, you pay taxes here. Simple stuff, really.

You're very welcome! DH finally had a decent year and didn't lose money, But since we are both self employeed we got hit for 7k+.
    Buy yourself something nice and think of me.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

I'll tell y'all a funny but true story and I don't mean funny ha ha. My brother in law had a brain tumour 15 years ago. He had it removed and stayed working after healing up. It got to the point that he just couldn't do it any more. He worked for me for awhile. He's got it back and they're going through that. Anyhoo he went into see about disability awhile back, he's almost 50 years old. They told him he could get a job as a people greeter at walmart and that he didn't meet the requirements for help. Here he was a tax payer his entire career. I don't know if folks know but cutting into the brain and cutting out a grapefruit sized tumour can have it effects. He probably should not have stayed working as long as he did. The funny part of the story is there is a guy I know that is 21 years old gets some kind of disability and he's never worked a day in his life. I could write a novel on these type of situations.

I am in the same gross pay area and take home more than the guy in the OP. But, my take home includes a deduction for a $100 contribution to my 401K. So, is the guy having some things like child support or 401k deducted as well? Or does the state he is in just nail him really hard.

BTW, I know people who are physically crippled to where their but and knees are besides them selves when they walk with the assistance of a cane. They have been denied disability. But, another guy who has just been fired from all of the companies in his trade hires a lawyer and 6 months later he is collecting disability and working side jobs.

michigan is a high tax state.

You have to understand that there is a huge difference between Social Security Disability and Social Security Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

Under SSI, money can be paid to individuals who are disabled and who have limited income and resources. This might be the child of a deceased father for example of someone born with a chronic deformity or blind. It provides assistance for food, clothing and shelter and little more. Someone on SSI might also be eligible for Medicaid and their state's Food Stamp program as well as other programs. Benefits for SSI are paid through general tax revenues. They do not come from the Social Security program. So there are no points that have to be met through prior work. You can receive SSI, if you are eligible, and never have worked a day.

Social Security Disability (SSDI) on the other hand is paid through the Social Security program and requires you to attain a set amount of "credits" in order to be eligible. This year you earn one (1) credit for every $1,130 dollars you earn. It changes each year so 2013 will be higher to earn 1 credit and 2014 will be higher still and so on.

In order to qualify for SSDI you must have earned 40 credits, which equates to about 10 years of working history IN WHICH YOU PAID INTO SOCIAL SECURITY. Cash under the table doesn't count.

The term Disability has a very strict definition:

"
    "Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:

• You cannot do work that you did before;
    • We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
    • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death."

The Social Security Administration also looks beyond your disability to see if you have other ways to support yourself...

"assume that working families have access to other resources to provide support during periods of short-term disabilities, including workers' compensation, insurance, savings and investments."

So you must be totally and permanently disabled, incapable of performing other work and have earned sufficient credits in order to collect SSDI.

The scenarios described above are probably quite correct based on the individual situations and specifically what they applied for.

If I were to list out all the surgeries I've had and the reasons for them one might conclude I'm disabled. I'm sure there are many others on here that could do the same. However, I am capable of performing work (even if I don't like to) and have other resources. There is no way I would qualify for either program. The other thing to remember is if you receive benefits those benefits do not change once you reach "retirement" age (62 or 65 based on your current age). So if you think you can collect disability payments until you are 62 then transfer over and draw your full social security benefits. Bzzzzzz. Wrong answer. You will transfer over all right but you'll continue to draw the same amount of money and that's generally much lower that what you would have received had you waited.

I know the difference between SSI and SSDI. I was going to point it out in my post but that wasn't the point I was making.

Then what was the point? You compared a working man who could not draw SSDI to a young man drawing disability and has never worked. You followed that up with being able to write a novel on those kinds of situations. If that's not your point then you lost me. Not trying to be flippant I just don't understand the point you were trying to make.

I could write a novel on folks that draw these checks and work side jobs for money that exceeds the money they claim they need because they can't work. Maybe I see this because I live in a rural area and know everybody. In other words there is nothing wrong with the young man to allow him to draw other than he knows how to work the system.

And then when a working man ends up needing help he is denied. I didn't really explain in detail what a large tumour does to the brain but it changes your motor functions to the worse.

But again, they have to be drawing from two different systems. The young man that never worked from SSI and the working man from SSDI. Two different systems with two different sets of requirements. I understand the ramifications of the tumor but that's really not germane to whether he can draw or not. It could have been any cause for disability. If SSDI believes he can be trained to perform some other function they will probably deny him. Perhaps he needs to file under SSI. But he would have to be nearly destitute to qualify.

If the young man is on SSI and working then I'd have no qualms about discussing the situation with the local social security office. SSI fraud isn't working the system it's out and out theft and thieves need to be reported. That's one of the problems that's plaguing the system today.

I understand what you're saying Rick, thanks