Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Becoming a Wilderness survival instructor

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    What or more importantly ----------- who are you talking about? If it's AR you are way off base.
    "I'm not worried about having the experience to teach i worried about the documentation" By the initiator of the thread, JG

Quote Originally Posted by primitiveskills View Post
    "I'm not worried about having the experience to teach i worried about the documentation" By the initiator of the thread, JG
    Not sure what you on about Sir.

Documentation to teach? if you read this thread, I am sure I have explained as many have explained, you dont exactly get a phd in survival from some Uni and that makes you now all of a sudden have the right "documentation"
    I am going via a survival school over the last 3 years going through the ranks , taken many many courses and a lot , and I mean a lot of dirt time, then was hand picked to make "Ranger" level..
    and now still further have a lot more Dirt time and log hours and hours Of helping and teaching on courses along side head instructor Before I can even Properly instruct by myself.
    Further more each individual that signs up and wants to do a course needs to sign a waiver or an indemnity, as We cannot always be responsible for Others stupidity, sure we Try and mitigate as many risks as we can hence each Ranger, and higher placed individual in our survival school has to endure a lot of training and have a lot of experience as well as be 1st aid trained.. and continually attend outings to keep skills up.

My documentation consists of:
    Basic surival certificate (48 hour course)
    Advanced survival certificate (48 hour course)
    Bushcraft Certificate (48 hour course)
    Wild foods (36hour course)
    wild medicine(36 hour course)
    Bushmedic (1st aid) ( 2 days course)
    Navigation (2 days course)
    Advanced Navigation (2 days course)
    Mountain extreme survival (done in winter, area - Rhodes, which is near cape town) (72 hour course)
    Ocean extreme survival (done off the coast of mntinzini ) 72 hours course
    Jungle extreme Survival (Done in magoebaskloof , near tzaneen) 7 day course
    72 hour alone in the wild with a knife a fire steel and a water bottle
    48 hour solo with a knife and fire steel and water bottle.

done all over 3 years...
    then I was picked to be a ranger After doing that.
    and Now I am working on Ranger levels I am ranger level I, there 3 levels...
    each level you need to log 50 hours training on courses (helping and or instructing)
    and the Write a test on each level
    then you make a full instructor..

My offical qualification at the moment (although I dont know what university will recognise it, is Elite Ranger presently, at the moment we only have approx 15 rangers qualified over the course of 10 years, and about 2500 students trained, so its less that 1% that make ranger.)
    My ranger number as bellow.... BSR/16/07
    b= Boswa ( bush craft on safari wilderness adventures)
    S= survival
    r= Ranger
    16- the year I made ranger...
    7- the 7th ranger to make ranger.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 12-08-2017 at 04:05 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

As it stands of the writing of this post I am only been allowed to instruct by myself on what we term a
    S.A.F.E course (survival awareness for emergencies course)
    which is a 4 hour course we run which is more of an introductory course for average people
    which covers just very very basics and how to be prepared and safe, in our south African climate with our percieved dangers of crime, hi-jacking, muggings, political unrest, and natural disasters, as well as some basic self defense etc.
    I have a good background in martial arts (well over 8 years of taekwondo, karate capoeria, etc) as well as a documented history of doing "stunt" work for Tv and adverts)
    further training I have part form being a black belt in ITF taekwondo, is fire fighting level 1..

I have documented some of my outings via videos which is found on my link in my signature..
    ummm... For my stunt work, I haven't made those video public, but i can point them to anyone that asks ( I simply Try to keep my you tubes topic specific to out doors/surival/bushcraft)
    If I dont know some thing I dont really comment, and I try find out and do research on the matter...
    Generally I never say something unless its something I actually done and know and have experience on..
    personal experiences include;
    I have actually been hi-jacked by 3 gun men
    been held up in a mugging by 3 gun men
    been tied up and held hostage in a house breaking by 4 gun men for over 2 hours
    South Africa, is a very dangerous crime ridden place, our wild life is the least of our concern to be honest..
    but I try and spend a lot of time in every biome we have in every weather condition and season we have, with as little kit as I possibly can.

lastly thanks Guys for standing up for me I appreciate the brotherhood.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 12-08-2017 at 02:14 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

I don't think primitiveskills was talking about AR; he was talking about the OP, JamesGuyette.
    That was his quote:
    I'm not worried about having the experience to teach i worried about the documentation
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by primitiveskills View Post
    I guess that's where the confusion stems from. You decided to respond to a guy that has not been here for five years.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah anyway... sorry for confusion, but yeah
    I would be dubious of anyone that has not done some form of training and doesnt have actual experience.
    I been seeing it do the rounds there is even a place here in RSA that will hand out instructor certs only after a 6 day course... ( that I am actually worried for those students under those types)

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    I don't think primitiveskills was talking about AR; he was talking about the OP, JamesGuyette.
    That was his quote:
    I'm not buying that....
    His post was directly after a post by AR on 11/3 and was a bit on that nasty side...nor was any explanation given or quote as to what he was referring to given..
    I didn't see an apology either.....

Sorry ....primitiveskills...that the way I see it.
    Have a nice day.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I'm not buying that....
    His post was directly after a post by AR on 11/3 and was a bit on that nasty side...nor was any explanation given or quote as to what he was referring to given..
    I didn't see an apology either.....

Sorry ....primitiveskills...that the way I see it.
    Have a nice day.
    If it is I am not taking much offense.. I have listed out on the thread what I have done.. And I still continue to do more and gain more skill and experience.