Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Becoming a Wilderness survival instructor

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I guess I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. You keep talking about wanting to "teach survival," but your experience is "camping." If it were me, and I've done this before, btw, I'd start as an adult leader in a local Boy Scout troop. You've got to become known in order to get the clients. You can also take "Search & Rescue" training and get involved there. Others on here have posted on the business end of things, I'm talking about what your actual plans are. There are some names out there that teach "survival." John "Lofty" Wiseman; Tom Brown; Cody Lundin; David Canterbury; Mykel Hawke; Les Stroud; Bear Grylls; Mors Korchanski; the list goes on and on. They all have several things in common, but the main thing is that the public knows who they are. They also have years of experience behind them. So you're 20 years old, you have plenty of time to get started. Make a list of everything that you need to do to achieve your goal. I recommend getting some material on "Goal setting" from a friend of mine by the name of Zig Ziglar. Prioritize your steps and list everything and everybody your going to need to get there. Then take the 1st step. You gotta start somewhere, right? Now's the time. Dreams become reality only if you work at them! Good luck!
    Dang sarge, I only ever got to attend one of zig's lectures, but that one plus a few of his books taught me a ton about convincing people to buy what I had to sell.

I call him Zig, but to his Face it would be Mr. Ziggler, even though I am older than him, he has the bonifides for teaching his skills. And the track record to back it up.

Business 101
    Accounting 101 and 102
    Marketing 101, marketing surveys, developing and writing a business plan
    Business writing
    A few teaching methods courses including developing sylibus' and lesson plans and goals and out comes.

A lawyer to esablish business type
    An accountant to set up and keep your records, help you track profit and loss etc.

A protfolio or web site or utubes showing things you have done.

For example, how to sharpen a knife, start a fire without matches or a bic or firesteel make cordage, improvise stuff, collect wild edibles, field first aid, philisophy,

Answer these questions:

1. Who are my potential customers
    2. Who is currently offering them services similar to the ones I intend to offer them
    3. What is my unique selling proposition, I.E. What makes me special and worth their time and money
    4. Who can and will give testimonials that I am good at what I say I am.
    5. How often should I send out press releases, do pro bono lectures, volenteer, write and communicate to get my name out there as an "expert" in the field I teach
    6. How do I know if my students are learning, what do I do when I notice the DUH factor in their face /actions.
    7. What happens the first time something bad happens like a client drops dead of a heart attack? Can I do CPR, What are the legal ramifications of it.
    8. What tools will be required, what will the client provide and what will i provide? How do i evaluate the readiness / skills and knowledge of customers without making them upset and frustrated.
    9. Am I really a people person with teaching skills or someone who wants to spend time in the woods, would I be happier as a wrangler / outfitter helper / guide in another business owners employ.
    10 Instead of teaching, who can teach me, who teaches things I want to know or that I think I already know and can I attend their classes to see if they teach things that I already know how to do in an effective manner and can I observe how that impacts others and myself.

The list is endless.

As far as starting a business I have two things:

1. SBU.gov is the small business administration web site and they offer a ton of publications that you need to get and read on starting up and managing a small business included are business plans (necessary to obtain loans and to understand your business and how it will operate) and even mentor / coaching in areas where you may be weak for example legal and accounting, often free help from volunteers giving back or paying forward.

2. To make money one needs to find sufficient individuals with money that they are both able and willing to spend to obtain a product or service. One then needs to be able to provide that product and convince customers that you are the best choice of who is capable of providing it, and to do so in a manner that allows one to have more money than expenses at the completion of the transaction.

Also you might find dale carnige's book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" to be a wonderful place to began to enhance your communication and people skills.
    Last edited by Thaddius Bickerton; 04-16-2012 at 01:31 AM.
    Thaddius Bickerton

I would suggest looking at other survival instructors that are successful and see what kind of background they have. Most have either college or military or both. Very few have neither. I would start there.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    Ditto to what Sarge said, great posts. I have some stuff I'd like to say, but I'm staying out of this one....
    Add me to the list of agreement. James, I'm 50 lived the lifestyle you describe from 3-4 years old until I joined the army at 17. During my 18 years in the army I went trhough every survival school they had at the time, spent somewhere around 18 months all together in such schools. As well as EMT/paramedic training, underwater rescue, specialized rescue, and other such training as well. Not to mention Ranger training, airborne school and such, I had the good fortune to be able to train with not only the navy seals, marine force recon and air commandos here state side during joint operations events but also with German specops, back in the 80's. After my active duty time I went back to the self sufficent lifestyle and still try to llive it the best I can under the circumstances now. I am also rather profecient in medicinal and edible herbology.

Now that being said about my personel background and history, I do not consider myself in the league of folks here like Crash, PVG, Kyra, sarge, sourdough, and any of a dozen or so more here. I know I can survive in many situations I have done so, Maybe with another 20 years of experience I'll be at a level to be able to be a "survival instructor" Maybe not.

My "non" expert opinion is listen to the people here while you think they are being patronizing they are really trying to offer you some good sound advice and answer your question in an honest manner. While I don't get around here as much as I used to or would like to, EVERY time I log on here and check what I've missed I learn something new.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

I would always joke about teachers. Those who can do, those who can't teach but in reality it takes a special person knowledgeable in their subject to be a good teacher. Probably the fastest way to learn more about a subject is to teach it to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    Probably the fastest way to learn more about a subject is to teach it to others.
    That may be the truest words ever written.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well none of us know it all, I guess that's why we are here! I think survival is like golf, you can learn a lot, and you can get pretty good, but nobody ever truly masters the game!

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

I read an old saying that experience teaches fully , but in the end finds it's lessons spent on a dead man. The advice offered here is trying to help you short cut some of that.

If you want a outdoors life, consider working for someone already doing something you think you might like, perhaps a outfitter or hunting guide working for an established business is a way to get your foot in the door (or out of doors as the case may be.)

Id rather aim you at church missionary work than the peace corps, if you go with the right church group then the chance to help and make a difference is much higher than trying to live within the political correct rules (cant go ticking off the local warlord etc ) of the peace corps.

To be honest, the most knowledgeable people sharing survival are at most gonna have one or two fellows they are a mentor to. The "famous" ones either have day jobs or count on a lot of marketing hype and deliver only bits and irts of useful stuff.

One other possibility would be a military career where over time if you work at it you might manage to get a job teaching sere or some such with them and at the same time build up a nice resume for the world, and also be able to save up some coin, and gain world experience and college etc. Just a thought, but do that on your own mind, as signing with uncle sugar means he owns your life and you could be put in harms way where you dont wanna be.

Thad
    Thaddius Bickerton

Cool Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Well none of us know it all, I guess that's why we are here! I think survival is like golf, you can learn a lot, and you can get pretty good, but nobody ever truly masters the game!
    That's exactly true, and my punctuation and such won't be good, I'm on a crappy tablet and don't know how to use it proper, but I don't care anyways, first aid classes and such are biggest concern they will want to know they are safe with you, and you definitely need more experience. I did a lot of what u said growing up then was a volunteer camp counselor for underprivileged kids where I taught hiking,creek exploring,and did CPR first aid classes to be a lifeguard as well at age 16 to 18 then went to the army got all of my training did my time as an infantry man, learned so much that camping and hiking never could've taught me, continued with it all spent some time on an Indian reservation, I'm black foot native American, helped out the boy scouts occasionally and taught friends and family and such all of my skills I could teach, and now I even have random people I don't know contact me and want to go out with me to learn the wilderness survival skills I know, and all of this I've done for free just out of my love for it, its costed men a lot, so yeah I have a real job painting cars I'd rather do what I love also but if you expect money from people you better know 110% what you are doing, and once you've got training and u think u know what you're doing then spread the word that you have a free survival course people like free, get a legal liability form made up and do that awhile and you will learn just as much if not more than they will and if you do good and they like you word of mouth even will help you get a paid course off the ground but if you go into it just for profit you will not make it, you'll need another job for AWHILE you can't just go camping and watch an episode or two of man vs wild and think you're bear grylls just as another guy said, bear grylls has been through so much training and experience but he still couldn't make a great living on it until he was put on television, my advice, go join the military or volunteer at a camp or boy scout troop or even another survival class people like free workers and you'll be gaining so much experience really, and go sign up for naked and afraid if you're just trying to prove something plus its good exposure and money if you do well, but just learn learn learn and when u think you're good then learn it some more THEN do a free course and see how it goes, good luck and don't give up, you have plenty of years to experience more so get off the Internet and go do it!

Holy hell this is from three years ago oh well you got a class yet?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesGuyette View Post
    im not worried about having the experience to teach i worried about the documentation
    Documentation means absolutely nothing without training or experience. I've seen folks that were certified in what they do for a living but had very little actual talent for what they do. A piece of paper on the wall doesn't make you an instructor or an expert, and by the way, an "ex" is a has been, and a "spert" is a drip under pressure ! I say, keep living the way you are and try again in ten years after you get more "experience", then maybe you'll be closer to what you need.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Fellers, there's no one home and they turned the porch light off.

the guy made 11 posts three years ago and never came back.

And apparently he never got his "survival school" started, and if he did no one has heard of it.

Or perhaps he went out into the "wilderness" of Ohio and got eaten by a raccoon?

All this postulating for pages and pages to someone that is not there reminds me of trying to give advice to my kids back in the day!

At this point we are just talking to remind us how smart we are.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Fellers, there's no one home and they turned the porch light off.

the guy made 11 posts three years ago and never came back.

And apparently he never got his "survival school" started, and if he did no one has heard of it.

Or perhaps he went out into the "wilderness" of Ohio and got eaten by a raccoon?

All this postulating for pages and pages to someone that is not there reminds me of trying to give advice to my kids back in the day!

At this point we are just talking to remind us how smart we are.
    I'm smart?! Who knew?!
    LOL
    I wouldn't want to be a wilderness survival instructor. I would rather be a wilderness skills instructor. That way my students wouldn't be in a survival situation to begin with.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by Clep View Post
    Holy hell this is from three years ago oh well you got a class yet?
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.....
    There is an intro section at.....To stop by and say Hello.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

BTW.......Just hit "enter" every once in a while......makes those long post easier to read.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

So im 18 years old and i recently graduated high school. Ive been thinking about what i would like to do with my life. Ive had a love for thr forest and the outdoors in general. Im considering becoming a wilderness survival instructor or a fishing guide.
    What would u guys recommend i teach myself and the skills i should work on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I would suggest a 4 year college degree in biology specializing in wildlife management and at the end of that course apply for a position with your state Wildlife Resources Management Agency.

The only people I know that make a real living working in the outdoors went that route.

The rest are starving, bankrupt, divorced and talk in their sleep.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'll echo Kyrat's suggestion. If you want to work outdoors take a look at some of these jobs. I'll be one of more interest you.

https://www.fs.fed.us/working-with-us/jobs/careers

Quote Originally Posted by jaredscott7777 View Post
    So im 18 years old and i recently graduated high school. Ive been thinking about what i would like to do with my life. Ive had a love for thr forest and the outdoors in general. Im considering becoming a wilderness survival instructor or a fishing guide.
    What would u guys recommend i teach myself and the skills i should work on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome....
    There is an intro section at
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

From post #41 of this thread by Thaddius Bickerton in 2012.

Good place to start...I you are making buiness out of thsi occupation.

Skills needed.

Business 101
    Accounting 101 and 102
    Marketing 101, marketing surveys, developing and writing a business plan
    Business writing
    A few teaching methods courses including developing sylibus' and lesson plans and goals and out comes.

A lawyer to esablish business type
    An accountant to set up and keep your records, help you track profit and loss etc.

A protfolio or web site or utubes showing things you have done.

For example, how to sharpen a knife, start a fire without matches or a bic or firesteel make cordage, improvise stuff, collect wild edibles, field first aid, philisophy,

Answer these questions:

1. Who are my potential customers
    2. Who is currently offering them services similar to the ones I intend to offer them
    3. What is my unique selling proposition, I.E. What makes me special and worth their time and money
    4. Who can and will give testimonials that I am good at what I say I am.
    5. How often should I send out press releases, do pro bono lectures, volenteer, write and communicate to get my name out there as an "expert" in the field I teach
    6. How do I know if my students are learning, what do I do when I notice the DUH factor in their face /actions.
    7. What happens the first time something bad happens like a client drops dead of a heart attack? Can I do CPR, What are the legal ramifications of it.
    8. What tools will be required, what will the client provide and what will i provide? How do i evaluate the readiness / skills and knowledge of customers without making them upset and frustrated.
    9. Am I really a people person with teaching skills or someone who wants to spend time in the woods, would I be happier as a wrangler / outfitter helper / guide in another business owners employ.
    10 Instead of teaching, who can teach me, who teaches things I want to know or that I think I already know and can I attend their classes to see if they teach things that I already know how to do in an effective manner and can I observe how that impacts others and myself.

The list is endless.

As far as starting a business I have two things:

1. SBU.gov is the small business administration web site and they offer a ton of publications that you need to get and read on starting up and managing a small business included are business plans (necessary to obtain loans and to understand your business and how it will operate) and even mentor / coaching in areas where you may be weak for example legal and accounting, often free help from volunteers giving back or paying forward.

2. To make money one needs to find sufficient individuals with money that they are both able and willing to spend to obtain a product or service. One then needs to be able to provide that product and convince customers that you are the best choice of who is capable of providing it, and to do so in a manner that allows one to have more money than expenses at the completion of the transaction.

Also you might find dale carnige's book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" to be a wonderful place to began to enhance your communication and people skills.
    Last edited by Thaddius Bickerton; 04-16-2012 at 12:31 AM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I will add on from What hunter and others has already suggested.
    1)I would do, 1st aid, or perhaps even a paramedics cert, so that if injury happened out in the bush you are able to help with that, very important when you miles away from any help.
    2) experience, loads of experience (dirt time) in different seasons, different biomes etc. - verifiable experience, either done via a very good school, or by yourself, film and being put out on youtube. (so people can refer to that , think of it as your CV)
    3) Perhaps getting involved with forestry ? I dont know.. we have different things here, here It is possible but very difficult to get into anti-poaching (and that is like run like a special forces team) Game ranger? I dont know what you call that there, but here we can do game ranger courses and practicals to be certified in that (all helps)
    4) wilderness survival doesn't really carry any governing body that will give paper work, there are schools, and they can be great, and they can give certificates/badges whatever.. but no governing body is going to recognize that at all... But certainly will help you gain a lot of missing skills and extra dirt time.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

A knife, for what situations, in what area? In general, I suggest a modified Crunch multitool, cause it can do so much. Especially if you pair it with one of Cold steel's shovels and a Silky saw blade, to be held in the visegrip.

As to the training, since you think you are already "skilled", I recommend that you get onto the Alone show. Some pretty inept people on there are now selling themselves as "wilderness instructors". If they can do so, then, you, with all your skllls, should win, and with that clear 1/4 million dollars, you can take all the classes there is.
    Last edited by jayd; 08-04-2017 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd View Post
    A knife, for what situations, in what area? In general, I suggest a modified Crunch multitool, cause it can do so much. Especially if you pair it with one of Cold steel's shovels and a Silky saw blade, to be held in the visegrip.

As to the training, since you think you are already "skilled", I recommend that you get onto the Alone show. Some pretty inept people on there are now selling themselves as "wilderness instructors". If they can do so, then, you, with all your skllls, should win, and with that clear 1/4 million dollars, you can take all the classes there is.
    Not sure whom this reply is aimed at..
    But Yeah I have thought about applying as a constant on alone.
    However I thought long and hard on this, and decided whom am I trying to prove anything to?
    I get out here a lot in Southern Africa, in very harsh conditions that many do not have, like our terrain our hot hot weather and very arid climate.. and other dangers.
    And I do enjoy that a lot.
    If I had to do alone I have a lot of of things that would need to be put on hold like my Main career.. my family etc.
    say I am even out there for a month? where do I get the $$ to pay my mortgage and other bills, I cant take off work longer than maybe 2 full weeks. So I would have to say good bye essentially to A Formal job, What I do, I do in my part time for my own enjoyments.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05