Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blanket Roll Strap

Default Blanket Roll Strap

Well I finally got it done, ended up using a 4 strand braid because I couldn't figure out the 6 strand braid lol Anyhow it goes from a 4 strand braid to a 4 strand diamond knot to a six strand weave, and the ends are both whipped and melted together.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Sorry the pics are so big, I don't know how to change the size with photo bucket...
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

good job, pic's look good to me

Not too shabby! Looks pretty good to me!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

You did a good job on the weave. The pics look fine but for future reference just double click on your picture in Photobucket then right above the picture there is a tool bar. It should be below the LIKE and SHARE buttons. One of the options is Resize. If you roll your cursor over it you will be given 4 preset sizes and More Options. If you click on More Options it will open a picture editor that will let you make it whatever custom size you want.

Again, you did a great job on the roll strap.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nice Job, I like the strap!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Very nicely done. Pics look fine.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Sparky, what you have made is called a Hoppus strap.
    http://www.monticello.org/site/jeffe...s-packing-list
    (Way down at the bottom are the pack provisions)

The roll itself is called a budget. As in, "do you have that inb your budget?" or "I can not work that into my budget." They were a common use item but not the only pack method used by the old timers.
    http://www.colonialmarket.com/casada/rucksacks.html

Nice job on the "braid" which in the historic context is called "finger weaving"
    http://www.northwestjournal.ca/sash.html
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-13-2012 at 02:06 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Very nice, I've been working on rifle slings, and I like that style.Nice job!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Yes very nice weave. Good job.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Sparky, what you have made is called a Hoppus strap.
    http://www.monticello.org/site/jeffe...s-packing-list
    (Way down at the bottom are the pack provisions)

The roll itself is called a budget. As in, "do you have that inb your budget?" or "I can not work that into my budget." They were a common use item but not the only pack method used by the old timers.
    http://www.colonialmarket.com/casada/rucksacks.html

Nice job on the "braid" which in the historic context is called "finger weaving"
    http://www.northwestjournal.ca/sash.html
    Great info as usual kyratshooter
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

So, now....The most important question.....What would have to happen for you to tear it down so as to use the paracord?

As for my rifle slings, it would have to be something very bad.......to screw up all that work......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

After I braided a belt I would kill people before I had to unweave that thing. I would take my drawers off and cut them into strips of cloth to be used as rope before I'd unweave that thing. All that would be left is my hong and the belt. Even then the hong would have to go to save the belt.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have a belt made from 90 feet of paracord. I think I am with Rick though, it would have to get real bad for me to tear it down. The paracord hatband would be the first thing to go!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Ooh! Now I feel good. Mine only has 70 feet. I'm practically Mr. Universe. Hey Honey!!!!..............

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

I have seen a few pictures of southern soldiers who look like they tied the ends of their blanket roll together and then the tied part was on the hip and the blanket on the shoulder.

I like the strap for being able to roll things up in a shorter role though.

Another new idea to play around with. Well an old idea made new lol.

thank you for sharing.

I need to learn how to do that weaving with the fingers stuff. Be good therapy since the stroke, about reached the point where just twisting up cordage is comfortable so need a bigger challenge.

Maybe paracord tying someday to.

Who says ya can't teach an old dog new tricks?

If you look close at the picture on this page it shows what I'm talking about.

blanket roll link picture

did a bit more digging and found that the one above is often called a "horse collar" . so both are used. just depends on the way folk figured how to do it at the moment apparently.
    Last edited by Thaddius Bickerton; 04-14-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    Thaddius Bickerton

The blanket over the shoulder is more comfortable than having the cordage dig into your shoulder from the weight. That's the reason Sparky went with the wide braid was to keep the cordage from hurting.

You might try the Cobra braid. It's fairly easy to master and repetitive so it might offer you the challenge you are looking for. It doesn't have to be paracord. Any cordage around #60 size would work.

Pick whichever set of instructions are easiest to understand.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cobra...ient=firefox-a

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The blanket over the shoulder is more comfortable than having the cordage dig into your shoulder from the weight. That's the reason Sparky went with the wide braid was to keep the cordage from hurting.

You might try the Cobra braid. It's fairly easy to master and repetitive so it might offer you the challenge you are looking for. It doesn't have to be paracord. Any cordage around #60 size would work.

Pick whichever set of instructions are easiest to understand.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cobra...ient=firefox-a
    I would describe the weave I used as kind of two cobra weaves hitched together, you kind of use the same weave and then cross the cords so it stiches the to togethor if that makes any sense. Here is the instructions I used http://www.instructables.com/id/Wide...racelet/#step1
    I was afraid it would be a hard braid to do, but found it was actually pretty simple.
    Thomas Paine

Great job Sparky!

well done Sparky!!

By the way, if you were wondering if I'm in a closet in the last pic the answer is no. That is my dorm room, it's about 9' wide...
    Thomas Paine