Thread: Reloading Insanity

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Reloading Insanity

Several years back I made a trade and got a ladies overnight suitcase of .308 reloads as boot on the trade. Now these overnight bags were good sized hardshell totes and this particular one held about 1500 rounds. They were all cast bullet loads, the Lee 120gn carbine bullet. They are suposed to have a gas check on them.

I think I shot a magazine full and realized they were very hot for cast bullet loads, and I set them back to deal with them at a latter time. That latter time turned out to be 20 years.

It rained me out on today's projects and I found the tote under the workbench while cleaning the shop. I got out the bullet puller and dismantled one and found it had no gas check on the bullet and an enormous amount of stick powder as the propellent.

This set off alarms right off. I have been loading cast bullet projectiles a long time and knew of no recomended load in the Lyman book for a 120gn cast bullet and ANY stick powder.

The scales were brought out and the powder measured. First charge was 46 grains, second was 49, third was 51. This went on for ten cases with each case varrying between 46 and 51 grains of whatever is in those cases. This is a max, or near max load of any stick powder I have listed in any of my books for a jacketed bullet and totally over the top for a cast bullet load.

It is also unacceptable variation from charge to charge. I never allow my rifle loads to varry more than 1/10 grain and I demand that my precision loads anywhere near max be dead on with zero variation.

This widely ranging charge of "whatever it is" should be pushing a jacketed bullet along at nearly 3000fps! A cast bullet with no gas check ????? I am sure five rounds would coat the barrel with lead from breech to muzzle!

Now I have 1500 rounds of .308 to break down, since there is no way these are going through any rifle I own!

I still remember the guy that I traded for these, and if he were not in federal prison (for stealing government ammo) I would go see him about this! I never did like him much. At least I know this was not part of the government stash he took.

So, how was your day?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-14-2012 at 06:53 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The upside is.....you didn't go boom 20 years ago when you pulled the trigger on those. Every dark cloud..silver lining...My day was exceptionally good and thank you for asking.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You'd have better off with the gov't issue stuff!
    I know what hunts you.

I'd have to say go get a cheap beater gun and have fun! Just run a patch of Hoppes 9 down every so often!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This stuff is too scary to be fun!

And Hopes #9 will not even touch leading in a rifle berrel.

And what do you consider a "cheap beater gun"? If you happen to know of one in the Mosin/Nagant price range let me know. I have not found a "cheap" .308 in some time.

I am already well into the bullet pulling. The cases and primers can be salvaged, the powder will go on the garden spot, the slugs will be melted down and recast, so I suppose nothing will go to waste.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I am already well into the bullet pulling. The cases and primers can be salvaged, the powder will go on the garden spot, the slugs will be melted down and recast, so I suppose nothing will go to waste.
    Well, that works too!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Luck works in weird ways, and you will have 1500 cases and can re-melt the cast.....but yea,h someone was looking over you.
    What goes around, comes around,........ If the guys still in jail,..... sounds about right.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

id say he got his just for sure, just lick your wounds on this one, pull the bullets melt the bullets , u got alot of primed cases now, and powder to make a boom in the backyard!!!!!! whata deal!!!!!!!!! plus figure the cost difference from 20yr ago till now on the componets????

Wait till the SHTF and barter them off to bad people that you dont like. just a funny thought I had

Is that funny weird or funny ha ha?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm not comfortable shooting any ole reload. It has to come from my father or friend that I trust. Of course my own are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I'm not comfortable shooting any ole reload. It has to come from my father or friend that I trust. Of course my own are ok.
    Plus one on that.
    Too many out there that were made with the idea, "If a little does a little good, alot will do a lot of good."
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah when I was a kid, I got some reloaded .357 magnum rounds in a trade. When I shot them a flame about 2 foot long flame came out of the barrel, and it was like trying to hold on to a stick of dynamite that had been ignited. I shot about 6 rounds and finally decided that if I wanted to keep my head, I shouldn't shoot anymore of those rounds. Luckily it was a large frame S&W so it didn't damage my pistol! Since I didn't reload, I threw both boxes in a pond!