Thread: Great Documentary: Alone in the Wilderness

Land of a thousand lakes Northern Horseman's Avatar
    The geographical center of British Columbia

Thumbs up Great Documentary: Alone in the Wilderness

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

On my last visit to the local library I was fortunate to find the DVD called "Alone in the Wilderness" this DVD is based on the adventure of Richard Proenneke that at the age of 51 decided to build his home (cabin) in the remote Alaskan wilderness.
    Richard kept a journal and filmed much of his experiences (Great cabin building tips) he stayed up there for thirty years.
    If your library does not have it you can also purchase the DVD and others at this web site: http://www.dickproenneke.com/

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Here is what his good friend Sam Keith had to say about him.

To live in a pristine land unchanged by man...
    to roam a wilderness through which few other humans have passed...
    to choose an idyllic site, cut trees and build a log cabin...
    to be a self-sufficient craftsman, making what is needed from materials available...
    to be not at odds with the world, but content with one's own thoughts and company...

Thousands have had such dreams, but Dick Proenneke lived them. He found a place, built a cabin, and stayed to become part of the country. This video "Alone in the Wilderness" is a simple account of the day-to-day explorations and activities he carried out alone, and the constant chain of nature's events that kept him company.
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero
    (106 BC - 43 BC)

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Yes, we've discussed Dick Proenneke on here many times. I've even mentioned him in one of my blogs. Sourdough lives this kind of life constantly, BTW.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Alone in the Wilderness 2 is a good video too. Though the footage is a bit more raw and Bob Swerer voice is showing his age, it is a good one.
    Proenneke builds his cache, bends some more tin, goes crawling into bear dens (again) and his brother Jake make an appearance with the plane Dick would later crash on his way back to Iowa for the winter. There is no mention of the crash in this latest video.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Land of a thousand lakes Northern Horseman's Avatar
    The geographical center of British Columbia

Funny, I did two searches, the first by the title, the second by his name and got nothing. must be because they called him Richard on the DVD cover instead of Dick.
    Anyway, Dick needs some dusting off once and awhile for new members
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero
    (106 BC - 43 BC)