Thread: Homeland Security buys bullets

Default Homeland Security buys bullets

I don't know if this was discussed yet, but if it was just post the thread for me.

I just read that the homeland security has a contact for 450 million rounds of ammo. Just do a internet search, there's many articles about it. What do you make of it? Do they really go through that many rounds on a regular basis?
    "You are not good enough now, and you never will be, to not die in this sport."

It's actually a pretty vague purchase. They signed a contract for an "indefinate number" of .40 caliber ammunition to be delivered over 5 years. The ceiling on the purchase is 450 million rounds. It's apparently for ICE and that doesn't sound like a tremendous amount of ammo for a 5 year period to me. When you consider there's over 45,000 customs agents and you calculate their range time that's about 10,000 rounds over 5 years IF they purchase the full 450 M rounds. I'd bet the NG get to dip into that as well where they are pulling border patrol.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Oh ok, putting it in those terms does make it sound better. At first glance, it just seemed very excessive and I had know idea why they needed that much ammo. I really never know what to believe any more.

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander88 View Post
    Oh ok, putting it in those terms does make it sound better. At first glance, it just seemed very excessive and I had know idea why they needed that much ammo. I really never know what to believe any more.
    I'm sure that was the intent of the news articles....professional pot stirrers....make a statement let your imagination take over.
    In my view a nessessary evil to keep everybody as honest as possible.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Also consider that under the Homeland Security "umbrella" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...deral_agencies
    So that many rounds seems to be in order (like Rick said), although some obviously are not users to a great extent (except their investigators)

Federal Emergency Management Agency

U.S. Fire Adminstration
    National Flood Insurance Program

Federal Law Enforcement Training Center
    Transportation Security Administration
    United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
    United States Coast Guard (Transfers to Department of Defense during declared war or national emergency) National Ice Center

United States Customs and Border Protection U.S. Border Patrol

United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement
    United States Secret Service
    Last edited by Pal334; 04-10-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I'm sure that was the intent of the news articles....professional pot stirrers....make a statement let your imagination take over.
    In my view a nessessary evil to keep everybody as honest as possible.
    Ya I agree, I usually just read and try to decipher the truth from the BS but sometimes I just need clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Also consider that under the Homeland Security "umbrella" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...deral_agencies
    So that many rounds seems to be in order (like Rick said), although some obviously are not users to a great extent (except their investigators)

Federal Emergency Management Agency

U.S. Fire Adminstration
    National Flood Insurance Program

Federal Law Enforcement Training Center
    Transportation Security Administration
    United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
    United States Coast Guard (Transfers to Department of Defense during declared war or national emergency) National Ice Center

United States Customs and Border Protection U.S. Border Patrol

United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement
    United States Secret Service
    Oh wow, I didn't realize that there was so many agencies lumped into the mix.

450 million? Pffft. You should see my wish list.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Also consider that the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center is the "basic" training and advance class location for all Federal law enforcement agencies so they do go through "a whole bunch" (sorry for being so technical ) rounds a year
    Last edited by Pal334; 04-10-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I wouldn't be surprised if the FBI and other "police" agencies don't sign contracts for more or less ammo depending on the size of the agency. I forgot about the training center, Pal. That's probably where the bulk of it is being used. Good catch.

Flatlander - If you bypass all those conspiracy regurgitaters you can generally find a credible source that will link to the original contract. When I see some wild claim I just try to run it back to the source. I want to see the original document so I can make my own conclusions rather than someone else's conclusion that they got from another web that got their information from....and on and on.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

looks like stockpile to me.... IDGAD.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Yes you do. You know you do. Come on, admit it. I'll bet you even give two dangs.

That's why I'm buying my ammo now, because I honestly think it's going to be hard to get someday. I dont know when, but I'm not taking any chances. I just bought 600 rounds of 9mm yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Flatlander - If you bypass all those conspiracy regurgitaters you can generally find a credible source that will link to the original contract. When I see some wild claim I just try to run it back to the source. I want to see the original document so I can make my own conclusions rather than someone else's conclusion that they got from another web that got their information from....and on and on.
    Ya I know, but I don't always know how to find the original source. I do draw my own conclusions but I've been known to be wrong in the past.

I can hear the conversation for that contract!

"450 million rounds? What's the population of Mexico again? 114 million you say. And how do you train to shoot? Two in the chest and one in the head....I see. Yeah 450 million rds for border patrol sounds right!"

Just kidding guys!