Thread: Thompson Center Hawken flintlock

Default Thompson Center Hawken flintlock

After looking for a Thompson Center flint-lock....One of "The good deal" that every one else seems to find....and mentioning that I was looking when ever it came up....finialy found that "good deal'.

Guy was asking opinions on a CVA muzzle-loader, he was looking at for like $75 bucks... (where do these guys find these deals???).pic's showed to be in good shape, so was advised to buy it....So I asked about seeing any T/C Hawken flinters?

Turns out that there was, and also at a good price...was at a pawn shop.
    It's a .45 cal, would have preferred a .50, but it was a made in USA, Thompson Center Hawken.

Called the guy, pawn shop, and said yeah, had one that came off pawn, and wanted $125 bucks for it......sent a pic and I bought it Fri.
    as you don't need a FFL for a muzzle-loader, he mailed it out and showed up today.

Looking at it looks like it was never shot, as the touch hole, and lock are still shiny with no evidence of being burned.

Goes to show ya, even a blind chicken gets some corn.....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Check out the lock and touch hole...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-17-2015 at 05:36 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

sweet find I hope you enjoy

Nice find! Is the barrel round tough to tell from the pics? Looks lighter than most I have seen which were mostly the percussion caps. (I don't know squat about BP)
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I have my dads TC Hawkens percussion .50 caliber, a buddy of his made it from a kit and did an awesome job. Dad traded an old deer stand for it lol Even though the gun is heavy, it is very well balanced IMO. I can hold it steady from shoulder and love how the gun feels. Do all Hawkens have the double set triggers? Mine does, I can't see your pics right now cause I have something going on with my computer...
    Last edited by Sparky93; 04-09-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I has the hex barrel, I really need to get a better camera....and yes double set triggers.

There was already a couple of .50 T/C's here, but are percussion, that I have been shooting for a long time.

A .45 T/c percussion went to DD and a .54 lymann Plains rifle went to the SIL, also a percussion.

Very nice find.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Not every day that you can score an $800 gun for $125!

A replacement lock would cost that much and the replacement barrel quite a bit more.

Speaking of which, Green Mountain makes a replacement barrel in any caliber you want. Drop in fit too.

Here's a link if you do not have one.
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/648/1
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thanks I was thinking about the barrel, in .50 cal.....I buy a lot's of stuff from Track of the Wolf....thanks.

.50 is good. Got several .50s, but I find I shoot .45 better as a rule.

My dad was talking about how one day he was siting in his 22-250 at 150 yards and my grandpa walked up with his .44 caliber Kentucky rifle. Well dad told him he was crazy, he would never hit the target with that at that range. Gramps shot a bulls eye first go at 150 yards with his old muzzle loader lol
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

You would be supprised at how many people consider M-L as toys, or are afraid they will "kick like a mule".........I guess they watched Jeremiah Johnson, getting roled over in the snow shoot at the deer.

Actually had people ask if it would 'shoot that far" while standing on the 100 yard range.

They are for real weapons, folks, capable of killing things,........but with a lot more smoke and fire....I love it!

.50 cal flintlock blued barrel form ToTW...$219 bucks and is out of stock.

They are sort of scarce now probably. Knight Rifle owns Green Mountain, or did, and they have had some trouble.

Try Dixie, they show if for $224 and in stock.

I thinking I gonna leave it a .45 for now.....I have balls.....

But what does.....I mean, how does the caliber and you......I think I'm confused.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You just now realized that Rick?

Hunter, even if you sink $200+ into a 50 cal barrel you are still $400 under the value of the rifle and have added to the resale by having both barrels, espically the GM .50.

But, the .45 will kill deer just as dead as the .50. Any shot I would take with the .50 I would not hesitate to take with the .45.

I have one of each and normally use the .45 when target shooting. I built it for a club match we have where the only rules are fixed sights and offhand unsupported. I put a schuetzen butplate on it and I think the tiney bit of extra weight in the .45 barrel makes it a little steadier.

Okay. I misspoke. I'm more confused than usual. Better?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yeah I know, just got the possibles bag set up for both .50 and .45.....and getting ready for turkey hunting....but yeah you are right, a extra barrel is not out of the question for what I got in it....and I am a 'exrta barrel" fan...LOL

Rick, that "Rifle balls"...the 1in 70 twist just tells me that patched round ball would shoot better than maxie's
    .440 dia and a lubed pillow tick patch.

I had given DD the other T/C hawken percussion and all the gear for it as well as the .54 cal Lyman's plains rifle to the SIL.....for their M-L season in La.....seems they both got in-lines, w/scopes and sabots...modern methods.
    Heck, if I would have known that, I would have kept both rifles........

Oh well they probably will get all this stuff someday anyway....LOL...I guess I should ask them what they like?

Only reason I ever ask my kids what they want after I am gone is so I can leave it to the other one in the will and keep them ticked off real good!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Only reason I ever ask my kids what they want after I am gone is so I can leave it to the other one in the will and keep them ticked off real good!
    LOL, Well just a daughter to worry about...already out fitted the nephew that had an interest....got some crap about that....That's not fair to the others.....Well, too bad on that....... the others don't hunt with me...life's not fair...tough banana's....LOL

So I suppose there will be a fight.