Thread: can't get this off my mind

Default can't get this off my mind

a couple of years ago we had a member post somewhere around hurricane season about what i have come to call the "milk bread and egg syndrome" Now i went thru another 3 day power outage this march after a big storm, no big deal, i do have frozen food and a wood stove.
    The funny thing that hits me is how much we or at least i should say I, rely on the dairy industry,
    milk,eggs,creamer,yogurt,cheese,mayo,sourcream butter, just off the top of my head that i eat each and every day, now add bread, buns,ptas,tortillas, these two food groupings alone can put me into food discomfort quickly,
    powdered substitues are not the best for the real thing and the taste is hard to get used to, the food industry has messed with "real " food so much we hardly reconize real food any more.
    Don't beleive me? try drinking milk straight from a cow, heck you cannot even pruchase milk directly from a farmer anymore.
    ah heck ,was just thinking and typing. i live on a farm and trying to produce my own food at times can be trying, especialy when it comes to milk,bread and eggs(ok well not so much eggs0 but my other two favs, chesse and sour cream
    signed the food addict
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Good points WE! Because of where I live, I cannot do the "farm" type of things. I do have a small garden, but that is it. I do have some friends that do some animal things and I pitch in with them. This summer we are doing some pigs and meat chickens. I agree with the milk too! They have a few cows and I love when they get exceess milk. Milk fresh from the cow is awesome. Makes the store stuff seem like water!

I do have a two car garage that does not get used for cars, so I have been thinking of building a rabbit cage for out there. I just don't know how well that would work out though.

Do you know how many people buy goats, rabbits and chickens....to raise for food?.....And end up feeding pets.....be sure you can butcher and eat them before you invest the money.
    Go to a farmer that does raise these and buy one....take it home and butcher it your self, and eat it.....

Fact is most people can't do it any more.
    Just saying
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Welcome to the world of prepping and preparedness.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You lost me at the cheese sauce!

Now, how do we keep bacon in constant supply?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-09-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I don't mind powdered milk. I would prefer "real" milk but if I don't have it powdered is okay. I generally take powdered milk with me every time I go to the woods for an overnight. Powdered eggs are okay, too. Save your shells when you cook real eggs, wash them then toss them in your powdered egg can. Nothing like a little shell in your eggs to tell you you're eating the real thing!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    a couple of years ago we had a member post somewhere around hurricane season about what i have come to call the "milk bread and egg syndrome" Now i went thru another 3 day power outage this march after a big storm, no big deal, i do have frozen food and a wood stove.
    The funny thing that hits me is how much we or at least i should say I, rely on the dairy industry,
    milk,eggs,creamer,yogurt,cheese,mayo,sourcream butter, just off the top of my head that i eat each and every day, now add bread, buns,ptas,tortillas, these two food groupings alone can put me into food discomfort quickly,
    powdered substitues are not the best for the real thing and the taste is hard to get used to, the food industry has messed with "real " food so much we hardly reconize real food any more.
    Don't beleive me? try drinking milk straight from a cow, heck you cannot even pruchase milk directly from a farmer anymore.
    ah heck ,was just thinking and typing. i live on a farm and trying to produce my own food at times can be trying, especialy when it comes to milk,bread and eggs(ok well not so much eggs0 but my other two favs, chesse and sour cream
    signed the food addict

Put on your big girl bloomers & MAN-UP "sissy"..................
    Last edited by Sourdough; 04-09-2012 at 04:17 PM.

I love fresh as in still warm cows milk and corn bread. It's been awhile though.

fresh butchered meat is great

After a lot of years in Submarines, and with some creative cooking, dehydrated and powdered is pretty good.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Drinking fresh cow's milk is not healthy for you. I have a friend that got hurt pretty bad drinking fresh cow's milk when the cow stepped on him.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

the "milk bread and egg syndrome"

Guilty as charged
    It is my wife and it is almost impossible , even after 35 years to break her of the habit.

I grew up on a dairy farm in upstate New York. I can say that my stomache never could tolerate warm cow milk. I always had to wait until we got it into the chill tank and then I could drink it. Guess we were never smart enough to realize the potential "dangers" of unpastuerized milk
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Rick, Rick, Rick, what can I expect from a guy that would wrap a rope around a wheel in order to turn a engine over AND then wrap the other end of the rope around his wrist.

Fresh goats milk is good too, fresh meaning from the bucket after milking the goat LOL. I kid you not LOL.

You put the milk in the bucket first? Well I swan. You learn something every day.

We had milk delivered when I was a kid. It came in glass jars with a cardboard seal on top. You would be declared a communist of the first order, an almost Nazi or even names the preacher would blush at (you know, things like caitiff, incorrigible or even (gasp) an imp) if mom found all six bottles with the cardboard seal broken and a finger full of milk fat gone from each bottle when she retrieved them. But man was that stuff good.

do you have any idea how much it costs to get the powdered stuff up here? milk is ok but i got some fromwalton feeds and the eggs and sour cream cost me 30 buck each for a small can. its not like when i was in arizona and would just pick some butter buds up at the store. it baffles me, i mean canada is in north america, but try to get some of the stuff that i just took for granted in the states.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

I keep chickens and occasional ducks so have eggs (and chicks at the moment, but coyote got a momma chicken other day / sigh)

I garden , not glamor / yuppie but good solid stuff like taters, peanuts, yams, corn, squash , beans, oninons , garlic, and maters. And some luxury stuff like peppers, cukes, mellons n pumpkins etc. Even tried gords but not so much luck with them. have grape vines, and blackberry, blue berry and a strawberry patch going I put up the extra into mason jars and into the root cellar

I tried rabbits but to much work at the moment, and don't need barrels of catfish cause the pond is stocked with cat, bream, and bass.

I keep goats for the milk and occasionally butcher them or a hog. With the wild hogs I have kinda got away from keeping a hog since there are plenty of free bacon on the hoof out in the swamp at the moment (silly mich people wanting to kill em off when they are free bacon, i don't get it).

I can butcher about anything and have many times. That said my friend is a retired butcher and I get him to do most of my meat cutting (with my limited help) and trade him meat for the help. Well to be honest he mostly smokes his meat in my smoke house too and we put up hogs and deer and other meat and sometimes go in on a split beef with another neighbor.

We won't go hungry, but you would laugh how many people think we are deprived being forced to eat our own homegrown food.

I'm looking at bees, but they sting me so Id like to convince someone else to pick up from Mr. Roberts who is getting on up there in years and thinking about retiring from his bee keeping, and thus my honey source is gonna end unless I take it on myself or some other signs up. (at least he offered me some hives and training if I want to pick up the art.)

Goat milk depends on the goat whether I like its taste or not but I trade with a goat meat farmer till i get a fresh nanny with good milk, one I have has thrown 3 kids and gave me milk this is the third season, but she is getting old.

Cheese from goat milk is ok, but I do like cow cheese and it is one of the things I will buy when I feel the urge. Heck I love stuff made with plain old veelveeta which is one of my few store bought weaknesses.

Oh, and I'm looking into growing some wheat just to see how that works out since I love bread, but that is this years new experiment so I don't know how it is gonna work out. I have a grinder and buckets of stored wheat , so I do know how to grind n cook with the wheat, but have to work on grow n harvest and preserve it up.

Ah the fun life of a simple peasant. :-)
    Thaddius Bickerton