Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think I'm tempting fate

Default Think I'm tempting fate

I planted seeds, outdoors, in the soil today.

March 19th in Michigan, I normally wouldn't do this until May. But it has been so warm, for so long, everything else is starting early. It was 80 degrees today.

I planted just spinach, kale, and beets, all of which can take a little cold if it gets cold again, but it has been warm for so long I figured, what if it stays warm? We've had almost three weeks of warm weather now. Maybe I get lucky this year and get a jump on the growing season.

Good luck with your plants

Good luck, Chris. I know last year a buddy of mine planted his garden the first week of April. The second week we had a cold snap. His garden suffered all season long, although he did get some stuff. I will continue to wait til the last week of April/first week of May. Nothing is more disheartening then wasted labor!

Hope it all works out Chris. I've got most of my containers filled - just waiting to put a few more things in.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The farmers are getting ready to plant early this year, I'd say your good. (Now that I said that it's going to snow, hold on I'll knock on some wood for ya lol)
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

85 degrees today.... We didn't have weather this warm last June.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Be careful!

The La Ninia that is responbsible for this snap is fluctuating rapidly and is due to weaken before the end of spring. I just hope is waits long enough for the fluctuatioin to remain above frost level.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You're in good company, Chris. Those monster tractors are in the field tilling. I hear little cries of corn being born.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Just keep an eye on the weather forecast and cover if it looks like its gonna drop too low!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Now would be a good time to put in soil thermometer in your patch and see what temperature your spinach wants to germinate. It’s surprising how long the ground can hold the cold.

supposed to be 90 today.

I plant in raised beds so they warm up pretty quickly, and we've had almost 3 weeks now of 70s+

I also have some seeds started indoors as a backup, but directly sown plants always do better for me so I prefer it when I can get away with it.

My weather mostly comes from the North Atlantic, with about 115 frost free days a year. The last time I seen 90° was some time back in the 80’s. Sucks going without all the mild weather people are getting. Raised beds sure changes the situation, like Nell said, covering it probably is the answer. We stager our planting weekly starting mid April and start a late spring bed in a shaded spot for a little extra yield. It takes allot off seed but it offers some kind of guaranty. The best part of gardening is experimenting. It will be interesting to see how you make out.

Now the cold returns. 32 supposedly last night, and 28 as a low tonight they say... this is going to mess up the flowers. All this warm weather had all the fruit trees blooming already, if it gets cold enough to zap them all, no fruit for me

Hopefully the weatherman is wrong, after tonight it is supposed to get warm again, but tonight is going to be rough.

You must be in the same weather pattern as me. Supposed to get a hard freeze tonight. The only thing I have out in the garden beds are some onions and some beets. Seems the beets were smart enough not to come up yet. Everything else is in the earth-bank cold frame (dug in and the whole 36" back wall is earth behind board in a small banking.) That should have enough heat sunk into it to keep it just warm enough for the Broc and Cabbage in there. Eh, if I lose em, I just plant more. The fruit trees though...probably gonna be a bad year for apples. If the flowers don't get froze tonight, there just aren't any bees out there. A few mason bees here and there but not enough.

It is getting cool out tonight here, haven't seen the forecast but I was just outside and I would guess it around low 50's.....
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Looks like our fruit tree blossoms made it through that cold dip. The news even ran a story about how it could have wiped out the state crop (and in fact, may have done so north of here).

I just put my tomatoes in the ground a week ago. what happens? it finally starts raining a bunch as we get cold nights. it's a sad sacrifice, but some times there is only one way to summon wet and cool weather. similarly; lighting up a cigarette is the surest way to conjure an overdue bus.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

outdoor spinach has germinated

the score thus is

chris: 1
    evil cold canadian air: 0

kale and beets germinated. I am declaring victory. This is definitely the earliest I have had germinated crops growing in the garden.... by probably a month.

Yes, and they are predicting frost yet this week. It was 85°F yesterday for cryin' out loud.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.