Thread: I plant I've never seen before

Default I plant I've never seen before

While doing some yard work a few days ago, I cam accross something growing in my yard that I have never seen before. I was wondering if anyone knows what it is and could tell me anything about it. Thanks in advance!

057 resize.jpg058 resize.jpg059 resize.jpg

Since it's along the fence line - does your neighbor have flowering plants like torch lilies planted?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Since it's along the fence line - does your neighbor have flowering plants like torch lilies planted?
    Not a thing. He has no landscape in the back yard except two dogs, two kids, and a swing set. There used to be honeysuckle growing there, but I cleared it out to plant fruit trees.

It looks like a Japanese Knotweed to me. It's an invasive specie if it is.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The shoots, at least at the stage that you've taken the picture look a lot like some lilies that we have next door. I guess time will tell as to what they develop into.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Interesting, I don't recognize them. Post another pic when it blooms.

The shorter plants in the lower right hand corner are Archangel (Lamium atropurpureum) or purple Henbit.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

You don't have any kids next door named Jack do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It looks like a Japanese Knotweed to me. It's an invasive specie if it is.
    That makes sense. I have a ton of them in the yard all of a sudden. I mowed them all down except three or four. I'm gonna let them grow to see what happens.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

@ Rick: I assume they are NOT safe to eat then?

I have not so I had to refer to Steve's page. Apparently, they are if that's what it is. Note the gentle laxative part!

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Pla.../Knotweed.html

new to me also, interesting to see what they are

japanese knotweed is incredibly invasive, you can't even compost it really. It needs to be burned.

Even burning doesn't work. Doesn't kill the roots. You have to mow it, almost religiously until it just gives up. Or poison the living crap out of it, and anything else that might be nearby. I just mow it.
    Had a bunch come in with a load of 'loam'. That crap and a bunch of wild morning glory roots. That 's another one that sucks to eradicate. Must have been ground up in the compost they mixed with that so-called loam.
    I can't see the picks with my old browser. Are you sure it's not jack-in-the-pulpit? Or horseweed?

Definitely not Jack in the Pulpit. I raise those. I know what they look like from the time they break ground until they keel over in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Even burning doesn't work. Doesn't kill the roots. You have to mow it, almost religiously until it just gives up. Or poison the living crap out of it, and anything else that might be nearby. I just mow it.
    Had a bunch come in with a load of 'loam'. That crap and a bunch of wild morning glory roots. That 's another one that sucks to eradicate. Must have been ground up in the compost they mixed with that so-called loam.
    I can't see the picks with my old browser. Are you sure it's not jack-in-the-pulpit? Or horseweed?
    Thats what I meant. Dig up every last bit of root, and burn it. If you toss it in your compost or in a pile of brush it'll just reestablish itself.

Yeah, I grow Jacks too. The green top all curled up and the read stem are similar to the very tiny thumbnail I can see there. Stupid old computer. Can't update the browser to work better with this forum.

Chris, I don't even try to dig that stuff up. Cutting up the roots is just asking for a bigger mess. We're not even supposed to bag it for the trash pickup. Knotweed, Purple Loosetrife and a couple other noxious weeds I don't remember offhand.