Thread: flashlight project / Boat light project

Default flashlight project / Boat light project

I ran accross a couple of these bulbs and some fixtures that fit them. I searched around the web to figure what they were used for. They were used on top of "old" screw on, 6v batteries. The lights capability was raved about on several flashlight boards I found (Who knew there were flashlight boards). I am thinking of using one on a project or two maybe for a flashlight, but don't want to spend 20 bucks for the disposable battery. I was wondering if there was a way I could use a lithium ion somehow for the flashlight project. Any ideas? I also considered mounting a fixture on my boat, in this case I would want to step 12v down to the bulbs requirements. Here is the link to the bulb I am referring to.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/GE-...K40?Pid=search

Bulb requires - 2 watt 4.7 volt

and the fixture....My fixtures will be different but this was the intended use of the bulbs.

http://www.batterycentralmall.com/Fl...ges/666_lg.jpg

They were also used in "Navy Battle Lanterns". I know technology has brought us all kinds of new bulbs and light options. I want to do this project for the fun of it. I don't need suggestions on better lights, I need to power the ones I am wanting to play with.
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 04-08-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

They make a D cell converter that turns them into 6 volt batteries.

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/lante...yadapater.aspx

I don't know if that helps or hurts. (yes, I know that says out of stock but the point is they make them)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    They make a D cell converter that turns them into 6 volt batteries.

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/lante...yadapater.aspx

I don't know if that helps or hurts. (yes, I know that says out of stock but the point is they make them)
    That is one idea or maybe this.

http://www.batteriesplus.com/pc-2373...0809-0012.aspx
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

That will never work. With mine you can wrap it with duct tape and really look like an inventor. Who's going to be impressed with that techie battery?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That will never work. With mine you can wrap it with duct tape and really look like an inventor. Who's going to be impressed with that techie battery?
    Hopefully the gators! I am planning a gator hunt!

Gators!? Well count me out. My list is now titled:

Reasons Never to Go To Florida/South Carolina.

We had several of those lights growing up. Dad was the Chief of Civil Defense and used to get a case or two every now and then. They were good lights, but no where near the efficiency of modern lights.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    We had several of those lights growing up. Dad was the Chief of Civil Defense and used to get a case or two every now and then. They were good lights, but no where near the efficiency of modern lights.
    I noted the durability mostly. I just need bright light exactly when I need it. I have the best Q-beam made already. I have some real nice flashlights as well, this fell in my lap and figured I'd give it a go. Here is another option for a powersource I didn't know existed.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rayovac-6V...ttery/17163374

How about a 6 volt car or motorcycle battery? At least they'd be rechargeable.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It looks like I am leaning towards lead acid rechargeables. They are also used for emergency lighting with 6v lead acid batteries.

I know who to call up if I want to try and stick a gator with a bow fishing rig now lol
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.