Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My current setup

Abandoned does not mean unowned there Scooby Doo. That's still theft. The ties and rails are still owned by the railroad company as is the right of way. Many don't realize it but railroad special agents are authorized by the state's governor and have the same arresting powers as any other LEO. If the railroad operates across state lines then they have arresting power in each of the states the railroad operates in. They have the power to write you a speeding ticket, a ticket for littering or arrest you for hunting and firearms violations. All within the scope of their power. And you guys worry about FEMA. Pffffft.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

or if you make it to the tipp of the mitt I'll cut you a chunk of legal track for your very own.

Yeah; the Rail and Freight industry has a very long track record of taking even minor liberties/offenses very seriously. Materiel theft is probably not an exception.

Incidentally; I made it into Harbor Freight today. I'm a little irked that the 12lb sledge I went in for was $4 more than the advertised sale price, but I got it. It's going to have to do for a while, but it's a darned sight better suited to my needs than what I have been using. When I get it set and secured I'll post up some pictures.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I had an oxy/acet torch given to me several years back by a friend, but when he passed before I ever picked it up his family decided they didn't want to let me have it. You can't really be too bummed about that sort of thing. I'll have one of those one day.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Here we are. It makes a small, venus sized world of difference:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I have a spike anvil a little smaller. I think I got a pic of it.

A larger one might do well for ya. I have a 20" piece of railroad track. I bet I can fit half of it in a set rate box. You cover shipping and one thin cutting wheel for my angle grinder and it's yours.

ETA-Hahaha, I originally posted i had a 20 foot piece.
    Last edited by Winter; 04-16-2012 at 11:33 PM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

nice anvils fellas.

here's a photo of my post anvil.

Randy, you have too many anvils. You want I should come by and pick one up? Just to get it out of your way?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Actually I don't have a enough anvils lol. when I get things set up there will be a spot for the anvils. The anvil in the forefront was my granddads and the anvil in the back I traded a old pickup for it and a 30-40 krag rifle. But to be fair and I am a lot of things and fair is one of them. If you can throw the big anvil on your shoulder and carry it to your truck you can have it.

See; There you go Rick.

Now I've got to repair my second hand grinder. It always had a thunk-thunk-kachunk thing going on like it had a damaged belt or something, so I opened it up. When I got the belt guard off I got a nice surprise: Both pulleys are missing their set-screws and the only thing holding them on the spindles was the belt guard. Because the spindle on the wheel is a fair bit shorter, the smaller pulley had walked half way off of it, and the end of the spindle tore up and eroded the pulley's bore pretty bad. It wobbles a heck of a lot, even when i made new set-screws and tightened them down properly, so i have to replace it.

Alternatively; I could bore it out a little further and make a sleeve insert to make up the difference. I guess I'll try that first.

Next time maybe a set of step pulleys, or a cheap VFD.
    Last edited by canid; 04-17-2012 at 06:29 PM.

I have called you a lot of things. Fair was one of them. The others we don't need to talk about. Does it matter which shoulder 'cause one of 'em is pretty gimpy at the moment. Actually both of them are. Can I use both of them? That's kinda like one good healthy shoulder.....almost.

I reckon you could carry it on your haid.

i would worry about vibration with the way you have that sledge set up. most of the people i have seen use them for anvils have them set in cememt. i was also wondering if you have it at the propper hight? It should be set so that if you are standing upright next to it with your arms hanging free at your sides and you fist closed you knuckles will be gently resting on the surface. this makes it easier to hit it with just the flat of your hammer and not the edge. that way you will reduce the pits and gouges in the steel.

The setting will become a problem eventually but it will probably be set in there in resin at that point.

The height is just a little high, but not too much so. It won't be the biggest problem to cut a little off the bottom, which would flatten and square it off better anyway. I don't think I could get used to forging quite as low as you recomend, but just a hair shorter than my elbow would be pretty good.