Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This irritates me.

Default This irritates me.

The main reason I moved out here was the "open" land. For hiking, hunting, exploring. I keep staring out my window at this sign with all this property behind it. So tempting. But I can't afford to get in trouble for trespassing. It seems all I can do now is keep staring out into the field and wishing the signs would disappear..

This is taken from the gravel road right where it meets my house. I better not step off either side until I drive 30 miles to a town or i'm a bad bad person.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

or maybe you could talk to the land owner...

PG&E. No hunting. Not even allowed to step foot on there. The only PG&E property you can be on is recreational hydro property, which is rare, and isn't here.

Is there a sign, say 400 yards up the road?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

It's their land they can do with it as they choose. Just like the property you own. I gave you several options. If none are viable and the situation is intolerable, move. It's a free country.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's their land they can do with it as they choose. Just like the property you own. I gave you several options. If none are viable and the situation is intolerable, move. It's a free country.
    Not seeing your other advice pal. Was it PM or did it not post??
    Thanks,
    Tres

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

See post 15.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...926#post326926

See? I'm not that senile.......yet.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Oh! Thread jump... Okay. I thought i was slipping! Well, I'm slipping but still slowly....
    Thanks,
    Tres

Just make sure you slip with both feet in the same thread. If you slip with feet in different that could be painful.

Yeah! for sure. I couldn't do a split even 30 years ago!
    Thanks,
    Tres

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    The main reason I moved out here was the "open" land. For hiking, hunting, exploring. I keep staring out my window at this sign with all this property behind it. So tempting. But I can't afford to get in trouble for trespassing. It seems all I can do now is keep staring out into the field and wishing the signs would disappear..

This is taken from the gravel road right where it meets my house. I better not step off either side until I drive 30 miles to a town or i'm a bad bad person.....
    Since you moved there for a specific reason.....did the sign appear after you inspected your home and the surrounding land? If it was there when you were considering buying,,,,was there another reason - a bigger reason for your move?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

After. Sorry I started this in another thread but didn't want to discuss it further there. I grew up out here, learned to hunt on this property, never with any issues. Im curious now if PG&E owned it before and nothing was ever said. I just got off the phone with the county property manager and got a better understanding. I understand more what the issues are. I guess i'm griping about the people who abused the property to the point where they had to restrict it.

My grandparents spent the last half of there lives in this house. I moved to Kentucky, came back to California, and eventually moved back to what I considered home. Fishing out the front door and hunting out the back.

Rick- I've tried the suggestions you said that wear feasible. Nothing can be done. Of course I can "just move" I plan on that. I'm more irritated how things changed and home isn't home anymore, because of the people that ruined it for everyone else. People that come out and dump all there crap, come out and tear everything up on ATVs and shoot everything making a mess.

Tresmon- There are signs about every 500 meters and then they stop at a point.

What are your thoughts? Simply stay off? Or go far out of view and stay low?

I hear you, brother. That's the issue we face with regs, laws, etc. Regulations to control the few. As to the trespass issue, you wouldn't be happy if someone trespassed on your property even if they remained low. Don't be one of the few that laws are meant to control. Consider it off limits and look for alternative options. Just my opinion.

Is it worth it to break the law? If they do not want you on the property, it's their right. It's too bad people abused it and it was taken away. How many times have I been on some Forest Service Road, halfway up a mountain, only to see a refrigerator, or washing machine, or an old car along the path. Crazy how people think since nobody is near, they can dump their trash.

I'd suggest you find another place to hunt/trap, if that's possible.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Appreciate it but the question was more directed as Tresmon though as he asked if there were anymore signs around. Curious what he was thinking about, maybe pleading ignorant? Kinda be hard since they already warned me . I can't afford any trouble .

You're right Rick. It's the same without soo much more. Gun control. Certain pet bans. There's only a law for it because someone out there really did the dumbest no brainer thing.

Maybe you could work it out that your the agent and keep an eye out, maybe do cleanup on the messes. Then your payment is use of the property. Kinda like the gamekeepers in groundskeepers in the UK. Maybe just volunteer to clean first "cause you live next to it, and want to keep the neighborhood/ecosystem beautiful"
    "The sky's blue, water's wet, and sh&t happens." Bruce Willis The Last Boy Scout

"I come in peace. I didnt bring artillery. I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes. If you F*#& with me. I'll kill you all."
    USMC Gen. James Mattis to Iraqi tribal leaders

Hey that's a good idea. Along the lines of what Rick said about agreeing to pack out trash while hunting, but start off as purely a person trying to save the environment. At least that might get me to be able to hike around out there, even if I can't shoot.

Growing up in WNY, my family had a large lot of land. My dad had to replace posted signs every year and constantly run people off. Myself, my brother, and all the neighborhood kids played in the woods, so that's why he posted it. He would let folks that came and asked to hunt. It never failed, deer season would open up and people would come out the city, park in front of the NO Trespassing Sign, rip it off the post and proceed to go hunting. Every sign had a name, number, and address (which was on the backside of the land). Being he owned a small engine shop in a small town, he knew everyone and serviced all the town equipment. Lots of abandon vehicles were reported and towed from in front of the property during hunting season for some reason

Whatever the land owner's reason, it is their right to own the land and make it accessible or not. All you can do is ask and abide by the law.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

I don't know how this is gonna sound, but here goes.

I inherited a lease from one of the major land owners in my area, 500 acres, from the maternal side of my family. The lease was signed in the 19th century and is still valid, at a ridiculously low payment. I am very, very, very,........fortunate. But, I am not satisfied. Selfish, hedonist, hoarder, maybe they apply or maybe they don't. My screen name should give you an indication of my mindset.

Intimacy with anything should bring comfort, but nothing is a substitute for new experience. I crave it, I always have.

I have leaped beyond that parcel every chance that I get, with some amazing gratification. Public parcels, or legal private, the experiences have been so fulfilling. Do not confine yourself to one "brierpatch".
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Brilliant idea, Southard!