Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: survival gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I continue to quest for the perfect firearm for "ME". I just off'loaded $3,150.00 worth of surplus firearms at the last gunshow. I have no interest in defense from humans. I rarely see any now, and have never another human in the last 42 year when walking off the back of my property and into the wilderness.

For me, for my needs it is the lightest firearm with the lightest cartridge that will put food into the camp pot. It must hit a nickle 99% of the time at 15 yards. In am not a tack driver.
    You live in my kinda area .. remote ! with lots of easy hunting ... Cheers !
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    I better reread the regs, but I believe shotgun hunting bear is illegal in AK.
    are ya really gonna worry about regs in a survival situation ? .. Im sure not .. if im hungry and it moves on four legs .... it's dinner !
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

I've been pondering about a .17 hornet,a nice bolt action. I can hear myself now " yes dear it is costly but I'm in search of the ultimate survival rifle" LOL
    Back to the 17 hornet, it's a reloading proposition for sure but a fella can only carry so much ammo at a time anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by old2531 View Post
    so thats what happened to the mossberg commando shotgun no one wants to own a gun they dont know is leagal or not
    Nobody wants a shotgun that doesn't wear it's underwear.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by birdman6660 View Post
    are ya really gonna worry about regs in a survival situation ? .. Im sure not .. if im hungry and it moves on four legs .... it's dinner !
    Birdman, given your username I wouldn't have thought you would be adverse to eating critters with two legs. You an ornithologist? LOL

Two legs, four legs, six legs, eight, no legs at all just put em on my plate! (sorry)

Somewhere in this thread someone said that they would only use a bow in heavy cover. Bearing in mind that arrows will deflect much more frequently and than a bullet and to a greater distance.

In the areas I hunt archery gives the best chance of seeing game before they feel the pressure. I rarely hunt general gun because that's when all the yahoos come out. I own 4 bows (3 recurves and and compound) and have a folding bow on the way.

Here is a youtube review of two of the type bows I ordered. The one I ordered is the goprimal.

At the end of the video I am the only one who winces at how disregarding this man is to the 4 razor sharp broad heads proximity to his bow strings and arm? Maybe that is why he drives his broadheads into the dirt at the beginning of the video.

I shoot my bows for fun also. I ordered this bow because it will take up less space than my take down recurve. Maybe, when we take a break in an oak hammock we could shoot grapefruits or oranges off the trees. That will depend on the chances or arrow recover though. Carbon arrows are not cheap!

Yeah, well, I can say that in the year 3013, some archaeological dig is gonna conclude that a couple of massive battles were held in my favorite deer woods.....just by virtue of the amount of "Gamegetters 2117's scattered about with 4 bladed "Astro points" disappering in to thin air?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I hear you on that hunter. My brother loves teaching people how to shoot a recurve in camp. He always seems to grab my box of arrows though and picks a Saw Palmetto thicket for a back drop.

Last weekend in camp though we had a long camp area and so all arrows were recovered. The yankee "country boy" who so far hasn't had any impressive back country skills shot all arrows into a cube at 20 yards with a 45# recurve. Two of which were in the center black. Not bad for a guy that could even nock the arrow and rasberried his arm from over extension. LOL BTW, he was left handed shooting a right handed bow. I believe he was left eye dominate also. That was pretty damned impressive and his being a steel worker gives him some pretty good conditioning.

First thing he did was draw the right handed bow back left handed empty and Sean told him if you dry fire that bow you own it. He said he always shot right handed bows left handed just like he shot right handed the .22 rifles he took all of his deer with over corn piles from his kitchen window as a kid.