Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: survival gun?

dagger012.jpg I got a Rem. 597 22LR. a few years ago. There were some issues with this rifle but obviously the one i got worked like it should. I've had alot of 10/22's, it is a good rifle however an inch or two in barrel length makes a great difference in sound and accuracy. After shooting it outa the box I liked what I had so I Erwinized it. Made a set of scope mounts for it, drilled and taped the receiver, put on a 3x9x40 mil.dot scope. The stock was composite that in the forearm sectioned off in the moulding process which makes it perfect for sealed plastic bags of extra ammo, fishing line/hooks, etc.

I'd say a good start might be:

.22lr rifle, perhaps bolt action
    .30 cal type rifle, maybe a .308, 30-30 or even a 7.62 x 39 (I'd go with a .308)
    12-gauge shotgun
    handgun of common caliber such as 9mm

With these four firearms you can just about do 99% of whatever needs doing with a firearm
    SurvivalTopics.com
    FireSteel.com

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    For me, for my needs it is the lightest firearm with the lightest cartridge that will put food into the camp pot. It must hit a nickle 99% of the time at 15 yards. In am not a tack driver.
    I not exactly a Noobie, but I haven't the slightest idea how to cook that nickel after I hit it. So here I sit with an open mind willing to learn something new.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Clean and boil in salted water. It's very high in nickel and copper. Add garlic if you choose.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

They're not too bad lightly breaded either.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think a 308 over 20 gauge over under would be as perfect as you could get for a one gun in the woods weapon! but that's just me

I have alway said, and will always stand fast behind the Remington 870 12 Gauge.

WC

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Lots of talk about what to go into a survival senerio carrying. Espically since 99% of the people here have never been in a survival situation. And since the situation has not been defined. Is this long term wilderness, short term wilderness, long term social breakdown, long term partial breakdown of society.

Why not look at what the folks that survived the last long term social and financial breakdown had when they EXITED the crisis?

I had a father-in-law, two grandfathers and one great-grandfather that survived the Great Depression by retreating to their farmsteads in rural areas. Three were in Tennessee and one in southern Michigan.

Oddly, all came out of the situation owing the same battery of weapons. A repeating shotgun (two double barrels, one mod 97 Winchester and one model 12, all in 12 guage), a .22 rifle (oddly three chose Remington Bolt action repeaters and one a SS Winchester), a .38 spl revolver (2 S&W and 1 Iver Johnson) and a 1911 Colt. There was not a single "hi-powered rifle" in any closet or behind any door in my extended family. There was no big game in any of their areas and simply no reason to own one.

I remember that the big concern they always discussed was affordability and access to ammo. You can not go into a long term situation and expect a couple of boxes of shells to do the job and "I'll trade for more latter". They all talked about the trade manipulations they had to go through to get shells, often making two or three swaps to obtain what the retailer needed at that point in time (there was NO MONEY available). We look at barter as a salvation and in the real world of stress not having acceptable currency is a pain.

Then the war hit! My uncles constantly talked about having a farm covered up with game and not being able to buy ammo due to the war.

What you go in carrying is not relivent. What you come out the other side carrying is what counts.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-26-2012 at 09:09 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I agree with sparky93, about survivor BOW instead of Gun.
    My Bowtech Razor Edge. I'll proboably be getting a recurve soon.
    See my avatar.
    Last edited by jcullen24; 05-26-2012 at 12:34 PM.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

In my state we have a 14% hunting success rate for archers.

43% success rate for gun hunters.

Most bow hunters pride themselves on being more experienced woodsmen and changing to the bow because the gun got too easy, and only 14 out of 100 make a kill.

It ain't as easy as it looks on TV.

Now you know why the Indians changed over to the gun as soon as they could get their hands on them.

I remember a time when my brother wasn't providing like he should for his family, and he kept buying guns and ammo. And my dad said something wiser than I've ever seen on any survival or firearms forum about the subject. He said "There's no sense in that. A man needs one rifle and one shotgun."

Now, don't get me wrong. I own more than just a single rifle and shotgun. Or at least I used to before escaped circus monkeys stole and hid them all. My dad owns more than that as well. But I think once you have a high powered rifle and a 12 gauge, you reach a point of diminishing returns. I think if I lived in a more urban area, I'd add a CCP on top of those.

It kind of reminds me of that old saying: "Beware the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by heysmithy View Post
    I remember a time when my brother wasn't providing like he should for his family, and he kept buying guns and ammo. And my dad said something wiser than I've ever seen on any survival or firearms forum about the subject. He said "There's no sense in that. A man needs one rifle and one shotgun."

Now, don't get me wrong. I own more than just a single rifle and shotgun. Or at least I used to before escaped circus monkeys stole and hid them all. My dad owns more than that as well. But I think once you have a high powered rifle and a 12 gauge, you reach a point of diminishing returns. I think if I lived in a more urban area, I'd add a CCP on top of those.

It kind of reminds me of that old saying: "Beware the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."
    Shush, don't let DW hear ya.........and that's a whole 'nuther thread.....If you had only one gun.....?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Shush, don't let DW hear ya.........and that's a whole 'nuther thread.....If you had only one gun.....?
    Yea, and we have not done our weekly thread on that one gun thing. How can we be so remiss?

I got down to only three at one point in time. Those three were not my actual choices, they were the ones with sentimental value, but fortunately they had practical sentimental value and served me well through that stressful time.

old Sylvan Hart always said a mountaineer needed to have at least ten firearms to be worth his salt, LOL.

If I were to back track, stuff would leave in about the same order that it arrived, till all that was left was the .22 SS I started with at 11 years old (first purchase).

Gotta love that Sylvan Hart......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Sylvan Hart, eh? Nice wordplay.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Always got a hoot out of old Sylvan but he doesn't seem so old now days LOL.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...9108/index.htm

A .22lr over a 20ga Savage would be very adequate for me, unfortunately I don't have one ...YET
    Almost can to own one but it was .22lr over .410ga.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Escaped circus monkeys? I'm writing that one down. If I ever acquire weapons or ammo again I'm hiding 'em when the circus comes to town.

We buy guns because we want to buy guns. We don't have a practical need for any of them. At least most don't. We hunt because we want to hunt. It does put meat on the table and for a small percentage that might be a necessity but I suspect if most were honest it's not a requirement. It's just something we want to do. There is an argument for home security but most of us will never use a weapon to protect our home. You'd be money ahead for things to keep bad folks out instead of dealing with them once they are inside. We just like things that go boom. Me included.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.