Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: survival gun?

A 12 or 20 ga pump with a barrel insert or 2 might fill your need.
    I know what hunts you.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Who told you that in a "survival situation" you were going to have a choice of tools?

Once again, you guys are using the word "survival" as an adjective rather than a verb.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Nice find......I use a .410 adapter in my 20 ga m24 as I was given a bucket full of .410 ammo, and would like to pick up a couple of more adaptors.
    I'm curious as to how well the .410 patterns in a 20 gauge with an adapter?
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

For the way I go about woods loafing, I don't much really have to have a firearm. I take a handgun everywhere, and usually a rifle of some type, not because I expect to use it but because I enjoy firearms.

usually I carry a ruger gunsite scout rifle in .308 with me. Also a 1911 in .45acp (why because a 1911 is a better for emergencies that a 911 dial a prayer IMHO< YMMV)

Were I set on a foraging type backpack adventure, then either a .22LR or a 12 gauge NEF / other single barrel type shotgun would do the work I might want from a firearm for gathering game.

Small game I usually hang a few snares at the edge of some grassy place and then tromp through the other side and end up driving something into the snares. While a nice rabbit stick will put them down, nothing wrong with having like a .22LR kit gun to put em down either.

While a shotty has heavy ammo, it is the one most flexable thing for all around foraging since it can take most any game you feel like shooting that you find assuming you bother to carry a mix of different shells from bird shot up thru buck n slug.

Now were we talking about a militia weapon, then it would be combat survival which isn't really a solo thing, and calls for different tools and depends on having a nice long military logistics tail to keep it feed and working. Combat is not something anyone bent on survival should engage in. It is highly unproductive, consumes resources at a fast huge pace, not easily if at all replaceable by individuals. And in survival, even a small boo boo can end up with you dead from any number of complications.

So I guess my short answer (As if I ever could give one) would be for a general reccomendation, a 22LR that one can hit a nickle with at the max expected usage range, or a single barrel 12 gauge shotgun with a mix of shells it the one single most useful weapon for someone attempting to survive via firearm foraging, and also capable of limited use for defense such as against a feral dog or using slugs, pretty much any animal that might threaten one, up to charging deadly game animals.

From my perspective there is one first tool: THE KNIFE. Given anything that one can cut with, even a sharp rock, most other survival needs can be met. The more you know and practice, the less you absolutely have to have with you to make out. A good many years ago, I got to go on several trips that happened at university of wyoming (long story how I ended up out there for a time but I"ll save it for another day).

Anyway those of us that went ended up calling them ABO walks since it was the archology / anthropology / history etc people who were wanting to see how indigenous people managed pre steel days. They had brought in people who taught how to knap stone, make fire, and cordage and carry containers and what foods could be foraged. Learning to eat stuff that might be unpleasant was interesting to say the least.

Being able to eat worms and bugs and such is not something I ever really enjoyed, but they can be a important survival source.

One thing, a simple small trowel or shovel beats a digging stick all hollow, and will net you a lot more useful things than most firearms will for wilderness survival.

But the first tool is something to cut with. A really good steel knife and means to sharpen it (Files are one thing I try to keep at least one of in every bag I own) is always the first tool in my book.

Ramble off

Thad
    Thaddius Bickerton

Its what ever you have with you at the time. Mine would be my HandR 12ga pump for one reason that reason is it can kill a small bird or a deer 1 weapon multiple uses. Kind of like the Swiss Army knife of firearms.

If I could only have one gun period it would be my H&R single shot 12 guage. It is in my opinion the most versitile gun there is.

I agree with the 12ga part but the single shot part not so much lol

Rossi Trifecta. IMHO, is arguably the perfect survival weapon. It gives you options. And if you pair it with a .357 (the .357 also takes .38's) you now have the option of fireing 5 popular calibers that are easy and failry inexpensive to obtain.

Think about it some.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by postman View Post
    If I could only have one gun period it would be my H&R single shot 12 guage. It is in my opinion the most versitile gun there is.
    That is what I just took to Kodiak Island, Alaska for a Kodiak Brown Bear Hunt. Seen 16 brown bears. Nice 13 day vacation.

And no pictures!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And no pictures!
    They are still in the camera. I don't know how to get them out.

Tip it up-side down and shake.........maybe?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Take the card out of the camera and mail it to me. I'll send it back after I download the pictures.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Take the card out of the camera and mail it to me. I'll send it back after I download the pictures.

That is a good idea, I should get another card thingie. I have someone coming in two weeks who can move them to the computer.

I better reread the regs, but I believe shotgun hunting bear is illegal in AK.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I have kids, my go to guns are...............most of them. I do own several shotguns and lots of .22's, I find them quite versatile. Yes I have wished I had something bigger than a .22 but i've seldom had the same thought with a shotgun. I trust buckshot up to bear and then I think a slug is the best bet. You still have birdshot for little critters. Keep in mind that ammo is heavy. A varity of shotgun ammo isn't easy to pack.

Was it me i'd rather have a full buttstock to make it versitile. Thats just my preferance

[QUOTE=old fart;338259] i have a 12 gauge pump with a pistol grip and forarm QUOTE]
    FWIW
    BATF has ruled that is now a "pistol". the local shop has the BATF Dealers notice posted. To buy one is the same as buyng a handgun. therefore the ruling effects shipping, age of purchase, State residency requirements for purchase, transportation state to state ETC.
    The notice doesn't elimate or define if it has been converted or manufactured that way. the ruling is only for shotguns with only a pistol grip, does not include a shotgun that has a buttstock and a pistol grip. Barrel lengths still apply as far a shotgun goes. min 18 inches,

Local dealer asked a BATF agent if this mean that if it comes with a pistol grip without a butt stock and is classified as a pistol "can it have a barrel shorter then 18 inches?". Answer was "no" unless you get the approiate license/tax stamp.

http://www.nfaoa.org/documents/Pisto...hotgunLike.pdf

http://www.nfaoa.org/documents/testttt20001.pdf

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...tes-new-danger

http://cleanupatf.org/forums/index.p...ld-know-about/
    Last edited by Beans; 05-12-2012 at 04:40 PM.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

As I read those links I see that the ATF has not changed the rules or their interpretation of the rules in any way.

The law has always been 18 inch barrel with length of 26 inches overall. If the replacelent of the normal stock with a pistol grip takes the firearm to less than 26 inches overall it is outside the specs as it always has been.

Less than 18 inch barrel has always been "any other weapon" territory and that is well known, but many forget about the 26inch overall length requirement.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

10/22 their light, accurate and high cap with stick mags. Just work on those double taps lol

Where's everyone going that they'll only have one gun? Did someone throw a party and not invite me?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.